“Was okay-needs a little work”
Review of Moderne Hotel

Moderne Hotel
Ranked #74 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Devon, Pennsylvania
“Was okay-needs a little work”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at The Moderne for 4 nights during our annual aunt/nieces weekend in NYC. We all feel The Moderne has a lot of potential and overall, everything was 'okay' but there are a few things that need to be tweaked.

Good/really good stuff: 1). Robbi at the front desk - fabulous!! We cannot sing praises for him loudly enough! Always helpful and pleasant. Nothing was ever a bother. 2). Location, location, location - is fantastic! The Moderne is a few blocks from Central Park, Times Square and the subway. Can't get a much better location if you want to be near everything or a quick subway ride away. 3). We had a suite which was a nice size (especially for 3 women) and we liked the decor (especially the textured wall paper). 4). Loved they have a doorman who actually brings your bags to your room!

Not so good stuff: 1). Room keys-ours did not seem to work even after getting 3 new sets of keys. We finally got one that worked and held onto it as our most treasured possession. 2). Bathroom - good in size but placement of fixtures not too well thought out. For example, toilet paper roll holder all the way across the other side of the bathroom and towel rack up way too high in the shower and difficult to get to the towels. 3). There were 3 of us in our room and we constantly had to ask for towels/amenities for 3 people. Staff brought them up right away but extra work for them and they should be able to track how many people in the room and quantities, right? 4). Air conditioning vents need to be cleaned. 5). Suggest putting a nice machine in the lounge instead of calling room service.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MilosMamma
andreas n, Director of Operations at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear MilosMamma,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. The only way we can improve is through feedback from our guests.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will also be sure to personally investigate the issues you mentioned in your review.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly at gm@modernehotelnyc.com so that I can assist in your next booking.

Andreas Nakos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The staff is excellent, the rooms are so fun the location is ideal. The concierge is so amazingly helpful! (Robbie is the best!!!!) And it was an amazing time! Elevator didn't work a little bit of the time but just added tot he charm of staying in an old NYC building.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear katjtoll,

Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor !

I cannot wait to share your comments with my staff. We are so pleased that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us !

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 29 June 2014

First time in NYC.. me and my fiancee, stayed at Park Central Hotel just around the corner, last night i had to leave early so , my fiancee checked in Moderne Hotel, really liked this boutique styled hotel…great service at front desk…overall very happy with location, condition and quality of services.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
andreas n, Director of Operations at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Shah B,

Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor.

We always strive for excellent customer service and I am pleased to see in your review that we have succeeded. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 June 2014

First I have to comment on the staff here they are so accommodating. They helped us get to everywhere we wanted to go in NY. Robbi Moss at the front desk is the BEST! He even booked reservations for our anniversary dinner.

The rooms are nice, small rooms (which is typical in NY) so I would recommend the suite but either way its lovely. We had one small issue with the AC making noise, they handled it expediently and moved us to a suite for our trouble. Perfect location to easily walk to times sqaure or catch a quick taxi or train to anywhere in the city. I will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Asha H,

Thank you for your amazing review on Tripadvisor. I cannot wait to share your comments with my staff !

We are so happy that we were able to help make your Anniversary truly memorable !

milano
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I’ve just spent a week at The Moderne Hotel, it was my third time there.
The Hotel, recently renewed, has an amazing location, really close to Central Park (and if you are a runner like me it’s a great plus) , and really close to Times Square (but not too close to be too “touristic”).
There is a subway stop one block away (Q-R-N) and many others (1-2-3-A-B-C) just a few blocks away.
And you prefer buses there are many buses stops close by.
The rooms are very clean, quite big, the huge head shower fantastic.
There is a guest lounge where you can have all day water, coffee, tea, fruits and relax (and in the morning cake too).
I think that the real PLUS of The Moderne is the fact that it has just around 30 rooms… it means that it’s one of the smallest place in NY with all the advantages.
People that work there are all very nice and available and after the first day really know you.
They are helpful, it’s the kind of relationship it’s impossible to have in a big hotel where you are just “a room number”.
They really make you feel at home, your home in the city.
Really can’t wait to go back to NY and go back to The Moderne.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear lucysol,

Thank you for reviewing The Moderne on Tripadvisor. We love reading reviews from guests that mention the intimate feel of our boutique hotel. With 37 rooms, we really make every guest feel like they are staying in their own home in the city.

We are also glad that you enjoyed our excellent midtown location and that you took advantage of our 24hr Guest Lounge, which provides free wifi and complimentary flavored water, tea, hot chocolate, coffee, fruits and morning cake.

leicester
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is situated in a great location close to Times Square, Central Park and many bars & restraunts. The manger and staff were very helpful especially Reinaldo and Robbie who were great. The room we had (601) was a very good size and well decorated. I can honestly say that there were no faults with this hotel and will definitely book this again when I visit NYC next. Thanks again for a great stay.

• Stayed June 2014
andreas n, Director of Operations at Moderne Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear paresh_289,

Thank you for your fantastic review on Tripadvisor !

Hamden
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The Moderne Hotel is in a convenient location and the staff and manager are super friendly and helpful. We were able to check in early on our anniversary and when we returned from our night out at Carnegie Hall there was a box of delicious mini cupcakes and a card from the staff. The room was spacious and clean with comfortable bed linens. The interior design is modern and funky which is a nice change from the big chain hotels. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Carlton G,

Thank you for your amazing review on Tripadvisor !

I am happy to see that we were able to make your stay during your anniversary truly memorable.