“Fantastic Location & Very Clean!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mayfair Hotel

Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #358 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Lake in the Hills, Illinois
“Fantastic Location & Very Clean!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2005

Well, after weeks of trying to get a hotel in New York City for under $200 a night- I stumbled on The Mayfair Hotel on Travelocity for $191.00 a night. I was thrilled to find it!! I stayed from 10\23-10\26. I had read many, many reviews of the Mayfair on "tripadvisor" and needless to say that I was a little concerned with the very mixed reviews that the hotel got form other people.

First off, there were 3 of us staying in one room. All in our late (very late!!) twenties, and all of us are very well traveled. Our room had only one double bed. (Each of us took a turn sleeping on the floor, on top af a stack of blankets). The room was very clean, but as others on this site will say it was very small. Approx. 10 x 10. But, the bathroom was huge (we kept all of our suitcases in the bathroom). We were in room 502. The decor of the room was pink toile. I felt like we were staying in a European boutique hotel.

This is a no-frills hotel, with the smallest elevator I have ever seen. Even the hallways are narrow. But, if you are like us- all we were in New York to do was shop and sight-see, This is a great place to stay. The location was perfect!! Smack in the middle of Times Square, only 2 blocks from the subway.

For me, I guess 3 things were important: Location, price, and cleanliness. The Mayfair exceeded my expectations on each on these 3 things and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

6 Thank Jsal76

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2005

The Mayfair is a nostalgic trip into hotels of the early 20th century. It's a typical New York "merchants" hotel of the 20s or 30s. The room was extremely small, with less than a two foot clearance around the bed. A chair was the only other piece of furniture in the room.

However, on the bright side, the room was clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the hotel was quiet. The staff was both friendly and helpful. The room had a small TV, remodeled bathroom, an internet connection, radio/clock, phone, and a hair dryer.

Had the room been about 25% larger, it would have been ideal. But to be honest, when you're staying in the heart of Manhattan, you shouldn't be spending a lot of time in your hotel room.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2005

The travel agency booked this hotel last minute because all other hotels were booked out and its location was close to where I had my meeting. The location is great but the US$ 233 plus taxes that I paid, was in my view too much.

The reception staff is nice and helpful. There was confusion on my check in, but the lady at the front desk did het best and finally found my reservation.

My room was on the 5th floor. There is a very small elevator, one only, and you may have to wait long. The room is very small indeed, I think about 3 by 3 meters (10 by 10 feet), maybe even less. It had a view on nothing.

The bed was OK and the linens clean. There is an old air conditioner above the window that sounds like it is struggling to survive its own long history. This is a point in general for many American hotels: why do they use these old fashioned noisy air conditioners? In S.E. Asia they seem to be light years ahead.

The hotel's own website says "intimate" rooms, which seems to mean: miniature; and "European" seems to mean: poorly maintained.

The bathroom: a very small shower corner, a toilet and no room to put your toilettries because it's all post stamp size. The cover caps of the faucets were still loose on the sink. I guess the maintenance people forgot to finish their work after lunch?

One of the electric outlets in the wall was hanging half loose. The wall paper may be described as "European" style decoration, but it looked very cheap and I found nothing European about it. I can't say the room was dirty, but the overall impression is simply a bit run down.

There is supposed to be a place where they serve breakfast. But people were busy at the front desk, and I was a bit in a hurry, and I saw nothing that looked like a place where breakfast is served.

Some postings talk positively about the decoration with all the pictures of broadway stars. They are there, but don't make the hotel a special place.

Over all I was disappointed. I know: my booking was last minute through the travel agency; I believed this hotel was more or less same standard as my original choice, so I accepted the price. But I can't help feeling it is overpaid.

There have been postings about problems with too high charges on the bill, but I did not experience any dishonesty like that. The staff seemed OK.

If you don't mind paying this much for just a bed and a shower in an admittedly fantastic location, then this place may be acceptable for you. But don't let the "intimacy" and "European style" descriptions on the hotel's own web-site convince you; if you want a reasonably convenient room you may consider a different hotel.

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business
4 Thank JTNL

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2005

I thought the Mayfair New York was the quaintest little hotel. We found it very late on a saturday night when no one else had available rooms. The man at the front desk was very accomodating. He let the three of us stay in a single room, and even went so far as to get us an extra futon mattress. Since it was so late (around 4am on sunday morning), he checked us in as sunday morning so we wouldn't have to check out until monday at noon (thereby getting two nights for the price of one). Our room was very small, but it was clean and comfortable. We had plenty of clean sheets, extra blankets and pillows, cable tv, air conditioning, and a clean bathroom with a fairly large shower. We slept in on sunday and no one bothered us, it was very quiet, and the curtains were very effective at keeping the room dark. Our room was on the top floor, and there was a very sturdy fire escape right outside the window that allowed us to climb up one level to the roof and look out over 49th and Broadway (shh don't tell). Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel. It was very affordable as well, our room was $90 + tax for the night.

• Stayed October 2005
Tampa, Fla
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2005

Having just stayed 4 days for Business, the Hotel was simply awful, except for the exceptionally kind office staff. They are so decent.

The Hotel should be called "The Filthy Carpet" vs. the Mayfair.
It is simply a dump. Complete with Urine stains on the seating area of the tiny room.

The carpets were so filthy, that one dares not walk barefoot on the floors.

I rubbed a white sock across the floor to confirm my suspicion and the sock came out black.

Whats most disturbing is the management, as innkeepers, have no pride in the accommodations that charge in excess of $200 per night.
What is it all coming to?

And right next door is the Days Inn which is usually known as a very poor hotel choice, and which at this second under total rennovation.

Readers and I should be careful and truly read the reviews of current visitors of the Mayfair as the reviews are certainly correct.

The best part of staying at the Mayfair is that you will wish to stay out late at night and see all of NY so as not to return to your room. You never want to return to that room.

• Stayed September 2005, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SteveTampa_Fla
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2005

we stayed here after having had to move from our hotel due to a mouse. We got it at very short notice and paid premium price for the privilage.
It was very basic, very small rooms. staff were plesent enough and seemed to have a good bater amongst them.
Our flight was in the afternoon of the morning we checked out and we were charged two dollors for each bag to keep them for the day i thought this was very excessive and money grabbing.

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank jannnnec
Cicero, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2005

Great location. Don't know if I would stay there again. Rooms were
extremely small - like a closet. Bathroom okay. Fire alarms kept going off on our floor. They made one announcement which I couldn't hear.
Very scary. Took a long time for someone to come up to our floor and
check. Woman down the hall said the alarm went off at 2AM the night
before. Management offered nothing - no rebate on cost of hotel room, no change of room, no coupon for free dinner - absolutely nothing.

• Stayed June 2005