“Great value, great location with the Mayfair.”
Review of Mayfair Hotel

Mayfair Hotel
Ranked #369 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 November 2005

As long as you don't plan to spend a lot of time in your room, I would highly recommend the Mayfair New York. Great, friendly staff, clean comfortable room, and outstnading value for such an incredible location!! A block off Times Square & Broadway, next door to the Eugene O'Neil Theater.

Yes, the room was small, but not claustrophobic. My wife and I wanted a clean, comfortable, quiet place, centrally located in Manhattan. That's exactly what we got at the Mayfair.

We spent most of our time seeing the sites, taking in shows, etc... Not in the room. . Unless you're used to 5 star hotels, I think most people would be quite pleased.

• Stayed: November 2005
2  Thank Gusman

Reviewed 29 October 2005

I wanted a small, charming, boutique type hotel in a good location in Manhattan and was so pleased to find the Mayfair for our stay from Oct 6 to 10, 2005. Location is perfect at 49th Ave between 7th and 8th, just off Broadway. Times Squares is a few blocks away, not far from Rockefeller Center. Hotel is very homey. The building is close to 100 years old but is well decorated, does not smell, has high ceilings, is very clean. The hallways are narrow but well lit and clean. The room is great - we had a king bed, there's a large oversized chair in the room that converts to a single pull-out bed, the wooden windows open for fresh air, the room has a computer with free internet service and a printer, lots of closet and cupboard space to put things away. The air conditioner is quiet and has a remote control. The bathroom is awesome - large green ceramic tiles from floor to ceiling, white pedestal sink, glassed-in tub, opening windows, lots of lights. We could not hear guests in the adjoining room. Cable TV channels go on forever. Staff were friendly and helpful when needed. If you're picking up or dropping off a Budget Rent A Car vehicle, you can do so a 1/2 block away on 49th. I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a homey, well located, small hotel in the heart of Manhattan. In my opinion, their website doesn't do the place justice but you can find them at mayfairnewyork.com

9  Thank frenda
Reviewed 29 October 2005

Well, after weeks of trying to get a hotel in New York City for under $200 a night- I stumbled on The Mayfair Hotel on Travelocity for $191.00 a night. I was thrilled to find it!! I stayed from 10\23-10\26. I had read many, many reviews of the Mayfair on "tripadvisor" and needless to say that I was a little concerned with the very mixed reviews that the hotel got form other people.

First off, there were 3 of us staying in one room. All in our late (very late!!) twenties, and all of us are very well traveled. Our room had only one double bed. (Each of us took a turn sleeping on the floor, on top af a stack of blankets). The room was very clean, but as others on this site will say it was very small. Approx. 10 x 10. But, the bathroom was huge (we kept all of our suitcases in the bathroom). We were in room 502. The decor of the room was pink toile. I felt like we were staying in a European boutique hotel.

This is a no-frills hotel, with the smallest elevator I have ever seen. Even the hallways are narrow. But, if you are like us- all we were in New York to do was shop and sight-see, This is a great place to stay. The location was perfect!! Smack in the middle of Times Square, only 2 blocks from the subway.

For me, I guess 3 things were important: Location, price, and cleanliness. The Mayfair exceeded my expectations on each on these 3 things and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

6  Thank Jsal76
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
Reviewed 24 October 2005

The Mayfair is a nostalgic trip into hotels of the early 20th century. It's a typical New York "merchants" hotel of the 20s or 30s. The room was extremely small, with less than a two foot clearance around the bed. A chair was the only other piece of furniture in the room.

However, on the bright side, the room was clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the hotel was quiet. The staff was both friendly and helpful. The room had a small TV, remodeled bathroom, an internet connection, radio/clock, phone, and a hair dryer.

Had the room been about 25% larger, it would have been ideal. But to be honest, when you're staying in the heart of Manhattan, you shouldn't be spending a lot of time in your hotel room.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 October 2005

The travel agency booked this hotel last minute because all other hotels were booked out and its location was close to where I had my meeting. The location is great but the US$ 233 plus taxes that I paid, was in my view too much.

The reception staff is nice and helpful. There was confusion on my check in, but the lady at the front desk did het best and finally found my reservation.

My room was on the 5th floor. There is a very small elevator, one only, and you may have to wait long. The room is very small indeed, I think about 3 by 3 meters (10 by 10 feet), maybe even less. It had a view on nothing.

The bed was OK and the linens clean. There is an old air conditioner above the window that sounds like it is struggling to survive its own long history. This is a point in general for many American hotels: why do they use these old fashioned noisy air conditioners? In S.E. Asia they seem to be light years ahead.

The hotel's own website says "intimate" rooms, which seems to mean: miniature; and "European" seems to mean: poorly maintained.

The bathroom: a very small shower corner, a toilet and no room to put your toilettries because it's all post stamp size. The cover caps of the faucets were still loose on the sink. I guess the maintenance people forgot to finish their work after lunch?

One of the electric outlets in the wall was hanging half loose. The wall paper may be described as "European" style decoration, but it looked very cheap and I found nothing European about it. I can't say the room was dirty, but the overall impression is simply a bit run down.

There is supposed to be a place where they serve breakfast. But people were busy at the front desk, and I was a bit in a hurry, and I saw nothing that looked like a place where breakfast is served.

Some postings talk positively about the decoration with all the pictures of broadway stars. They are there, but don't make the hotel a special place.

Over all I was disappointed. I know: my booking was last minute through the travel agency; I believed this hotel was more or less same standard as my original choice, so I accepted the price. But I can't help feeling it is overpaid.

There have been postings about problems with too high charges on the bill, but I did not experience any dishonesty like that. The staff seemed OK.

If you don't mind paying this much for just a bed and a shower in an admittedly fantastic location, then this place may be acceptable for you. But don't let the "intimacy" and "European style" descriptions on the hotel's own web-site convince you; if you want a reasonably convenient room you may consider a different hotel.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business
4  Thank JTNL
A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed 10 October 2005

I thought the Mayfair New York was the quaintest little hotel. We found it very late on a saturday night when no one else had available rooms. The man at the front desk was very accomodating. He let the three of us stay in a single room, and even went so far as to get us an extra futon mattress. Since it was so late (around 4am on sunday morning), he checked us in as sunday morning so we wouldn't have to check out until monday at noon (thereby getting two nights for the price of one). Our room was very small, but it was clean and comfortable. We had plenty of clean sheets, extra blankets and pillows, cable tv, air conditioning, and a clean bathroom with a fairly large shower. We slept in on sunday and no one bothered us, it was very quiet, and the curtains were very effective at keeping the room dark. Our room was on the top floor, and there was a very sturdy fire escape right outside the window that allowed us to climb up one level to the roof and look out over 49th and Broadway (shh don't tell). Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel. It was very affordable as well, our room was $90 + tax for the night.

• Stayed: October 2005
Reviewed 24 September 2005

Having just stayed 4 days for Business, the Hotel was simply awful, except for the exceptionally kind office staff. They are so decent.

The Hotel should be called "The Filthy Carpet" vs. the Mayfair.
It is simply a dump. Complete with Urine stains on the seating area of the tiny room.

The carpets were so filthy, that one dares not walk barefoot on the floors.

I rubbed a white sock across the floor to confirm my suspicion and the sock came out black.

Whats most disturbing is the management, as innkeepers, have no pride in the accommodations that charge in excess of $200 per night.
What is it all coming to?

And right next door is the Days Inn which is usually known as a very poor hotel choice, and which at this second under total rennovation.

Readers and I should be careful and truly read the reviews of current visitors of the Mayfair as the reviews are certainly correct.

The best part of staying at the Mayfair is that you will wish to stay out late at night and see all of NY so as not to return to your room. You never want to return to that room.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled on business