Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #231 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I found our stay quite pleasant. Kind service, and clean rooms. However I would have appreciated a better view. New York is the first big city our family has been in, and the kids didn't really appreciate the fact that the hotel was located 'squashed in a cramped street' as they said. However, we found the fact that the hotel was near two subway stations, a small shop where you can buy breakfast, and especially the fact that the hotel was near times square very convenient. However, I'd personally advise you go in the summer. The winters were very cold.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
jennifer_spensieri, Front Office Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear GIsabel2002,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I am pleased that you and your family found our staff to be friendly and our location to be convenient to your needs. I am sorry we were not able to give you a room with a view. Unfortunately, our hotel is surrounded by many buildings and we have very limited views.
Thank you for being our guest. We hope you will chose to stay in our hotel the next time you are in the NYC area.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I travel to NYC for business frequently and had the unfortunate experience of staying at this hotel for the past 2 nights. Although this hotel is in a great location, right near Times Square and Bryant Park, I would never recommend it to anyone for the following reasons...

The first night, my room was facing 39th street construction...jack-hammering, pounding that could be heard vividly as I was trying to go to sleep. I was trying to get to bed early as a result of being up since 4am travelling that day. The Front Desk's initial reaction was that the "construction should end by 10pm." I waited until 10:15pm, then put my clothes back on, and walked out and spoke to the construction crew. They informed me that they typically work until at least 2am, and this is common and is allowed under NYC bi-laws. I went to front desk and they then moved me to a different room not on that side of building. I was disappointed that I had to go this extreme just to get moved to a different room.

The room they moved me to was a wheelchair room that had a problem with toilet, the floor filled up with water when you showered, and had a tiny closet. I expected more for the $479 per night the hotel was charging me.

On the day of checkout, I left my bag with the concierge to go to some meetings in the morning. He placed it in the room right behind him. I returned to the concierge, and he called the bellhop. I waited 5 minutes and no bellhop. I asked the concierge if he could retrieve my bag and he said no, he was not allowed in the bag room. After 10 minutes I went over to the front desk and asked if they could help me, and they informed me they couldn't. However, after a few more minutes the front desk came over to me, got my ticket, and delievered me my bag.

Overall, I found that the hotel staff were unprofessional, unhelpful, and rude. They should have come clean about the construction on the first night, and also just gotten my bag right away when the bellhop was obviously nowhere to be found. I expect more from a $500+ / night hotel.

Room Tip: Don't face 39th street if there is construction
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Mark B

Dear Mark B,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at our hotel. I was very disappointed to read your review. I am sorry that construction noise from 39th street was a disturbance to you on your first night in the hotel. The construction that is taking place is not construction from the hotel. I am not sure who you had spoken with from the construction crew, but they do not work until 2am using jack hammers and drills. I believe they are doing some work on a building a few doors away from our hotel. When they are working in the evening hours, they typically wrap up any work that involves heavy machinery between 10pm-11pm. I would also like to apologize for the wait you experienced in retrieving your luggage. I understand you asked the concierge to assist you in retrieving your bags, however, the concierge services used in our hotel are from an outside company, and those employees are not Marriott employees. For the safety and security of our guests, only our employees are able to enter the secured closets to retrieve guests’ luggage.
I want to thank you for being our guest. I understand your recent stay has left a bad taste in your mouth, but if you are ever in the New York City area again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will ensure your stay will be more enjoyable.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights last week. The hotel is in a great location. About a 5 minute walk to Times Square and a 10-15 minute walk to Grand Central Station. We had a view of the Empire State Building from our room on the 18th floor. Very close to subway station which makes it easy for getting around the city. Very friendly staff as well.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear bgking83,

Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed our convenient location and comfortable rooms.
Thank you for being our guest. We look forward to your return in the future!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed the last weekend in May to attend a Yankee game and have fun in New York city. The hotel was clean, the staff friendly and helpful. When we arrived an hour early for check-in after a 6 hour drive, the staff immediately checked us in. We had requested a room with 2 beds and they told us they did not have any available but would upgrade us to a suite with a pull out couch. The room was large for NYC hotels! The subway was so close, it was an easy walk! Our suite on the 33rd floor looked out at the Empire State Building. What a nice sight at night! The only problem we had and it really is not the fault of the hotel- the people in the next room smoked heavily which carried into our room. The entire hotel is no smoking so it was an unfortunate part of a nice weekend and a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Would imagine that higher floors would be quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear hockeylover326,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online guest satisfaction survey. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I was very happy to learn our staff was able to upgrade you and your family to one of our suites. Our suites have great views of the empire state building. I am so happy you were able to enjoy the space and the view from your guest room.
Thank you for being our guest. We look forward to having you back the next time you are in the NYC area!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We walked to many sights on Manhattan and got on the subway right around the corner - Great location. The deli for breakfast and coffee was great, as was the little snack store in the lobby. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear theshlee,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our hotel. I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and in NYC.
Thank you for being our guest. We look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed here for 7 nights in May and were blown away with it! The hotel is new, and so are all of the amenities. The location is perfect! A few blocks from Times Square, a few blocks from Penn Station - truly a gem.

We were surprised when booking, as this hotel had the lowest rates. So we initially thought we were going to have a less than comfortable stay. The opposite turned to be true. The room was very comfortable. The staff was friendly. The Wi-Fi is free! We were especially happy about the security of the hotel. Needing a keycard to get in the front late at night and using the elevator was comforting.

I can't say enough about the location. My wife and I are walkers, and the location of this hotel provided the perfect distance for us to walk around New York for a week. It's also close to the Empire State building, Chelsea and the highline, and not too far a trek for Central Park!

We didn't bother getting the hotel breakfast, as we wanted to experience what the city had to offer - but the hotel bar/restaurant looked great. The only complaint I think we had was the room was very dark. We had a corner room on a middle floor on the north side, and so we didn’t receive a lot of natural light. The room lighting was often too dim to see much, especially contrasting against the dark floors of the room. Checking the room at the end of our stay for any items left behind proved to be difficult – requiring the use of a personal flashlight. Other than that, we have ZERO complaints. Great hotel, great value, great staff, great location, GREAT CITY!!

Room Tip: North-west corner rooms (low-mid floors) have little natural light
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tyler105
jennifer_spensieri, Front Office Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Tyler105,

Thank you for your stellar review of our hotel. I am so happy that you and your wife enjoyed your stay and your visit to NYC. The hotel has such a great central location for all there is to do and see in the city.
We hope to be of service to you the next time you are in the NYC area!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel besides being clean, friendly, breakfast, and having a gym, was only a 1/2 block from the subway, Broadway and so close to 5th Ave--Bryant Park really close! All the places I wanted to see were within walking distance mostly or just a subway ride away!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear Cheryl Ann W,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to NYC. We have the perfect location for seeing all the sights New York has to offer.
We hope to be of service to you in the future!