“Great price and location”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square
Ranked #230 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I booked a room in this hotel at the last minute. I was not disappointed. The hotel has a great location close to Times Square, Bryant Park and 5th Avenue. The rooms are nice and big and the bathrooms are well equiped. The room also comes with a Keurig coffee machine.

Wifi is complimentary. They have a 24 hour shop downstairs selling snacks and other essentials.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SATraveller25
jennifer_spensieri, Front Office Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear SATraveller25,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and liked our close proximity to all New York City has to offer.
Thank you for choosing Marriott, and we look forward to your return visit.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I dreaded staying near Times Sq. I'm a native so I don't relish the overcrowded tourist areas in Times Square. But my family and I were having Thanksgiving Dinner at the Bryant Park Grill so it made sense for all of us to stay in the area. I needed a spot to stay in for 5 days. Thank goodness the Marriott planted this gem on 40th Street.

Yes the room was kind of small, but it was very, very clean and fully functional. I had 2 beds, but could have gotten 1 queen or a single king. Housekeeping was expertly handled. I also had a refrigerator in my room.

Restaurant and lounge on site: This Marriott has an awesome kitchen\café staff. I ate there for breakfast and in the evening after 6pm. I was able to pay for a full, hot American style breakfast. But you can also buy some yogurt or a box of cereal a la carte. I MAY have also had more than my share of yummy pastries. (translation: sugar addict). The café staff were fun to talk to. I even think in the evening you can get a glass of wine. I opted for tea in the evening. Many guests just relaxed in the nice lounge area. Plenty of big couches, bar seats and a flat screen TV.

Noise: I couldn't hear my neighbors or the street traffic below. (yay!)

Lobby staff: Before I forget, the lobby staffers are not only professional, but they remind visitors to that not all New Yorkers are gruff and snobby. Everyone was nice and approachable. I had one small problem and it was resolved within seconds. That's impeccable customer service. The atmosphere is casual. Lots of kids with their parents, but all the guests I ran into were talkative and laughing, but not overly-loud.

Snacks for purchase: the lobby has a small area so you can purchase small snacks, drinks, water and even some toiletries There was a microwave available so there must have been some frozen food items.

So many shops, so little time: It's mid-town NY so everything is within walking distance of about 2 feet or 2 blocks: supermarket, corner store, clothing stores, restaurants, tourist traps, souvenir shops, subway \underground entrance and bus stop. But I like to walk so the hotel's location is beyond convenient.

Price: I was shocked at the reasonable price for the room. I paid in the mid-150s. However please note that I am a Marriott member and I also used up a chunk of points for some additional free nights.

Safety: I'm female and about 5' 2". I have built-in "NY-spidey sense" for danger. So I would never say a place is safe if it really wasn't. This place is very safe and thankfully is not located in a shady part of Manhattan. On the rare occasion that I stay out after mid-night; I'd feel comfortable staying here and knowing someone would be in the lobby at all times - just in case.

I tried to stay there on another visit in March, but it was sold out. The word is out, people. This Courtyard is really an ideal place to stay if you don't have the need to splurge on a luxury hotel, but still want a nice place to house your luggage.

Room Tip: Room on the higher floor will be quieter. Also request one away from the elevator
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank cptravelmaven

Dear cptravelmaven:

Thank you for your fabulous review of your visit to our hotel. I am so pleased that you found our hotel to be safe, our staff to be professional and friendly, and our rooms to be comfortable and clean. I am sorry that you were not able to get a reservation at our hotel during your most recent visit to New York. Please contact me directly the next time you are in the New York area and I will do my absolute best to get you booked with us. My email is Jennifer.Spensieri@Marriott.com.
Thank you for being our guest, and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed at the Courtyard for business and ended up surprised and impressed with the stay. I was unsure at first because it was in the Times Square location...however, it is a bit hidden and not on an overly crazy street. That was nice. Plus the location is a good spot for mid town business as well as other leisure spots.

The rooms were solid...one weird thing was I booked a King, it wasn't ready on check in but a 2 bed room was, however it wasn't offered. When a room was offered, it was on the 4th floor which I didn't want, so I ended up with a 2 bed room on the 30th floor. The room was fine. Clean, updated, comfortable. Decent size by NYC standards. One slight annoyance about Courtyard's...the bathroom amenities. The soap and shampoo are pathetic...would it be that difficult to provide something a bit better?

The common areas of the hotel are nice and suited for business purposes with lots of workspaces which was nice.

Overall, felt comfortable and would stay here again depending on the location of business.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Dan D
jennifer_spensieri, Front Office Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear dumpty27:

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed our location. We are very close to Times Square, however, our location is set just a few blocks away from all the action that goes on in the Midtown area. I want to apologize about the quality of the bathroom amenities. I will be sharing your feedback with our housekeeping team in order to better improve our offerings.
Thank you for being our guest, and we hope you return the next time your travels bring you to the New York City area.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I was in NY for business. This Hotel is located a short walk from Grand central Station, and thus easy access to everywhere you need to go.

The rooms are very tidy and well presented. My room was on the 10th floor and facing the street, so the view was a bit average. Also prepare yourself for "Street noise" as the hotel staff called it. A sheer assault on the senses I would call it myself. At the time I was staying there was building works and street repairs happening right throughout the night. So if you are a light sleeper earplugs would be a must.

There is no restaurant within the hotel, however due to the hotel’s location that just isn't an issue; as within a few blocks of this place there is everything you could ever need.
If you have the time a highly recommend stepping into Bryant park which is almost across the road from this hotel. There is so much going on there, and if the sun is out it's a lovely atmosphere to be in.

In summary this hotel didn’t wow me, but as a functional hotel I would happily stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank EastLondonKiwi

Dear EastLondonKiwi:

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our hotel. I was pleased to hear that you found our location to be convenient to your needs and our rooms to be clean and functional.
Thank you for being our guest and we look forward to your return in the future!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed one night in August, 2014. We arrived early, and were told no problem, we could check in early, our room was ready. The room, while not huge, was nicely decorated, had everything we needed, and was very clean. There were plenty of easily accessible outlets for our phone chargers and my camera charger. We were on the 17th floor, but elevators were fast and we didn't have to wait for one. Great shower, comfortable bed and great pillows. It was very quiet for sleeping. No view, but we totally didn't care about that. Thought the hotel was ideal for our trip.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Teresa F
jennifer_spensieri, Front Office Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Teresa F,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of our hotel. I was very pleased to learn that you found our rooms to be comfortable and were able to get an early check in.
Thank you for being our guest. We look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Nice and clean room & toilet. room size just about okay.
Breakfast just basic, no buffet.
TV good size, clear picture
Internet is free, good speed
walking distance to Port authority bus terminal as well

Room Tip: no room in hotel has a view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank sanjay744

Dear sanjay744,

Thank you for your recent review. I am happy to hear you found your room to be clean and quiet and found our location to be convenient for your needs.
Thank you for being our guest. We hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We have been to New York before and the hotel we stayed in was quite a bit more than the Courtyard by Marriott at this location. This hotel is in walking distance of Times Square and many of the tourist sites along with restaurants. It is just down the road from Bryant Park so most mornings, we would get breakfast at a little deli Zeytinz and take our breakfast to eat in the park. There is a restaurant in the hotel but the prices are a bit high for breakfast. 4 of us were in our hotel room; the room was a little small but it worked. Our only complaint with the room was the bathroom shower. The shower head would not stay in place so it was a little difficult to wash your hair...also there was no curtain or door on the shower, only a clear plexiglass that was fitted (not to be moved) that prevented water from going on the floor; however, if the shower head wasn't positioned just right, there would be water on the floor. Hotel staff were very friendly, hotel lobby was nice as well as the sitting area with TVs, computers.

Room Tip: We just asked for a room with a view and specifically for a view of the Empire State Bldg We were o...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Rhonda W

Dear Rhonda W,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to our hotel. I was very pleased to learn that you and your family enjoyed the location of our hotel and found it convenient for all there is to do and see in New York City. I am very sorry you experienced issues with shower head in your guest room. I will be sharing your feedback with our engineering staff in order to have that issue corrected.
Thank you for staying with us. We hope you to see you and your family the next time you are in the NYC area.