“First time visitor to NYC”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East
Ranked #149 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“First time visitor to NYC”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My family really enjoyed our stay at this hotel - close enough to all the attractions but far enough to get some peace and quiet (as much as you can in NYC). The lounge area for guests on level 12 is a spectacular idea - computers, cafe, TVs and couches to lounge around on in the evening was my favourite part of this hotel. Julissa D & Aixa provided great service, the two concierge gentlemen were fabulous too. Would love to go back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
RBishop_DLP, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Welcome to the Big Apple, that is New York's Nickname. Thats a long trip from Australia and I am glad that our staff and hotel met your expecations. I will pass on you comments to them. If you do make it back please reach out to me.

Thank you for the review, safe travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Shoham
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The hotel is very well situated, a walking distance to main attractions. One minute close to a subway station. The hotel looks new and the rooms are clean. There is a 24-7 store right next door. However -few things must improve. For instance - The service. We ordered a room for 4 adults yet the room was not equipped - we had to call and ask for more pillows, more blankets, more shampoo and so on.There were 6 elevators but only 3 went higher than the 14 floor. We had to wait more than 5 minutes to the elevator and than decided to walk down the stairs. 10 floors to the dinning room. The water flow in the shower was very weak. There were no shelves to put our staff. The internet was slow.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for writing your review about our property. I am happy that you found the location within walking distance to the NY attractions.

We stock our rooms for the number of beds in the rooms and extra linen provided in the closet, we are pleased to deliver more linen upon request.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations, if you would like to contact me directly please feel free to reach out to me so we can discuss your particular stay.
Surrey UK
Reviewed 3 January 2014

As a regular at full service Marriotts I was a little nervous about staying at a Courtyard but reading the previous reviews and seeing the price I thought it was a good gamble to take. The hotel has everything you need for a short stay in New York. Rooms are large and comfortable and location is perfect with only a short walk to major sites such as 5th Avenue etc. The subway is right on the doorstep and there's plenty of local coffee shops etc. We didn't really have much to do with the staff but where we did they were efficient and welcoming, the ones in the coffee shop on the 12th floor were particularly welcoming. The wi-fi worked fine and rooms were well cleaned. Its difficult to find anything negative to say at all on this hotel - great for a short stay and veey well priced for New York. Well done Courtyard!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing 3rd Avenue, great views of Chrysler Building.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. Maybe we have converted a new Courtyard Guest from Fullservice? Just kidding we have so many different kinds of Marriott Brands I am sure you can find something great at any of our brands. We're proud of our Large Rooms and when I travel the free wi-fi is something I look for. I am glad you liked it and proudly accept the "Well Done Courtyard" Thank you for staying with us.
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I checked in and checked out the cleanliness of the room with my Hotel Inspector UV Stain Finder. The room was very clean and passed my inspection. One of the features I love about this hotel is the twelve floor lounge area. It is very roomy comfortable area, perfect to rest, eat a meal or use the computer. Another feature I like about this hotel is the location. It is just a few blocks away from Rockefeller Center. Great clean hotel with a great staff! Hotel Inspector approved!

Room Tip: I like to find out how new the hotel is or how recent is was renovated. This makes a big difference...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
The hotel was renovated beginning January where we renovated every guest room, the hotel lobby, elevators. We added a Market Place, the New Bistro Area. We also created a new fitness area and business center areas. All rooms were completed by June 2013

I am happy that we passed your inspection and met your expectations. Thank you so much for staying with us. Safe travels.
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed hear for 3 nights checking in on 12/26. We were a party of four. Myself and my wife along with our 22 yr old daughter and her fiancee. We had a room with a kingsize bed and a sleeper sofa. The hotel was adequate for our stay. The room was a decent size for NYC standards and was clean. We were on the 27th floor. Check in was a breeze. We were greeted with a friendly desk clerk. The location is not bad, but not great. There are several nice restaurants near the hotel. A subway station is just one block away. I would stay here again if necessary, but prefer to being a little closer to Times Square.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank hesetmefree238
Thank you for writing your review about our hotel. I am glad the room size met your expectations. I am happy that check in went smoothly. I am happy you would stay here again, sometimes our guests choose to stay at our location because it is easily accessable to most of the same attractions without Times Square crowds. Some of our guests just walk or use the Subway adjacent to the hotel to get to Rock Center, 5th Ave, Central Park or walk over to Times Sq. Thank you again for staying with us.
West Sussex, England
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Our family of five stayed in the Courtyard Marriott over New Year. We had a queen room, plenty of room for our family of 5, nice and clean, large comfortable beds and very quiet for Manhattan! We all slept well. The location of the hotel is perfect, on 3rd Avenue a short walk from Bloomingdales and also Rockerfeller , 5th Avenue etc. Friendly and courteous staff, next door to a 24hr Duane Ready for drinks/ snacks everything you need. Lots of restaurants and bars within minutes, a Smith & Wollensky steakhouse within 5 minutes walk. There is a useful lobby / bistro on the 12th floor with wifi etc and whilst they serve breakfast, there are nicer places to eat nearby especially the Treehaus , 5 minutes walk from the hotel serving fab breakfast to eat in or take away. Another great Marriott city hotel, next time we visit NYC we would definately stay here again.

1 Thank WilliamsFamily51
Thank you for spending your New Year with us, I hope New Year in NY was what you expected. Thank you for taking the time to write your review for our property. I am glad you found the hotel close to all the holiday attractions that you mentioned. Thank you again. If you do decide to come back please reach out to me.
Toronto
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Had a room with 2 queens, sofabed and looking south. 5 nights.

Pros
- no bed bugs
- large, clean, spacious room (approx 410 sq feet) with safe, fridge, microwave (upon request, subject to availability and no extra charge) and mini-fridge
- semi-firm mattress, great pillows
- great wi-fi reception
- reasonably quiet for the 22nd floor albeit did hear sirens once in awhile; did not hear sound from neighboring rooms
- ice machine on every floor
- walking distance to Rockefeller Centre, subway, Central Park, Times Square
- exercise room, business centre on the 12th floor and lobby
- replacement glasses for the room everyday
- some windows can open
- fantastic rate over Christmas!
- 24 hour pharmacy beside hotel
- close to eateries and groceries

Neutral
- option for breakfast on the 12th floor
- 2 elevators broke down but were fixed within a few hours
- drafty windows but the cold (or heat) can be blocked out using the blinds

Cons
- no hair dryer
- exterior of bath tub curtain requires cleaning
- bathroom was cold and should be a tad bigger
- slippery bath tub - had to use towel as a bath mat to avoid slipping
- expensive tuck shop in lobby

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank The_Esplanade