“A great hotel”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East
Ranked #143 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 19 January 2014

The Courtyard is an excellent hotel with a great location, right above the subway station so all of NYC is right at your doorstep. The front desk staff werent as professional as they could have been. A female team member was chewing gum louding with her mouth open whilst giving directions to a restaurant, it doesnt give a great impression. Sometimes they were seen slouching over the desk and chatting to each other like they werent in a professional environment. Granted I come from a hotel background which may be why I'm picking up on all the little things, but the little things build up.
The maid service was amazing, they cleaned everything top to bottom and left it sparkling, well done to the whole housekeeping team, they definitely deserve much appraise for their efforts.
The rooms were big and spacious, with comfy beds and pillows. The aircon ran a little loud but it was only when the fan would kick back on for a short time. I will definitely be back next time I'm in the Big Apple...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
RBishop_DLP, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

I am happy that you were Happy with our Housekeeping staff and also the rooms themselves. I will be happy to passon your comments to our housekeeping staff.

I will mention both the positive and negative information to the respective departments to make sure they are aware. I thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed for 6 nights on a recommendation from a Trip Advisor review. Review was SPOT ON. This hotel is in a good location in Midtown, you can walk to Radio City, Times Square and Central Park easily. The subway is at the end of the block. By any standards the romms are a good size, we had 2 double beds ans a sofa bed with room to spare. Staff were polite and really helpful, we didn't arrive at the hotel on the first night till after midnight, the only concern from the ladt of the front desk was to get us checked in ASAP so that we could get to bed!! For the price you can't beat this hotel, especially if you are looking for 4/5 peaople in a room.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
RBishop_DLP, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Thank you for writing your review of our hotel. I am happy that someones positive comments pursuaded you to stay at our hotel. Our rooms are often commented on because of their size in a positive manner. Additionally as you pointed out Location, we are close to the major sights and near adjacent to a major Subway Stations for E,M and 6 trains. Thank you again for staying at our hotel and writing your review.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed for 4 nights from 22nd Dec - family of 6. We booked 2 rooms - they were spacious and clean. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Conveniently located near convenience stores, subway staions and also within walking distance (14-20 min) to times square, central park. Close to laundry services which was useful - several wash and fold services nearby which is good for a large family.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for your nice comments about our hotel. I am happy you enjoyed our city during the holidays it is a special time to be in NY. I find it personally a nice walk to Times Square. From your review 14-20 mins is about what it takes me also. I like to walk across 50th street so you pass Rock Center, St. Patricks Cathedrial, Saks 5th Avenue and Radio City Music Hall. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

A well located hotel close to all attractions, friendly and helpful front desk and concierge. Clean spacious room with two comfortable queen beds and a pull out sofa, smallish bathroom but fine for a couple of nights. Valet parking for $48 for 24 hours, which is good for NY. A small gym and a café, but there are so many places to eat all round plus a 24 hour Duane Reade downstairs that lack of restaurant and lobby is no problem. A real find and great value in an expensive city.

Room Tip: High floor renovated rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy our property and staff met your needs. I will be sure to pass on your review to our staff. Thank you again for staying at our property.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We landed here by default January 2-4, 2014 b/c it was the only place I could find in midtown that could put five in a room and did not have a 3-night minimum. I would definitely use this hotel again, and highly recommend it. With two queen beds and a sofa bed pulled out, and all of our bags out and open, the room was still spacious. The temperature was comfortable and easy to regulate, and everything was clean. We requested the sofa bed and early check-in when we made the reservation, reconfirmed a few days before based on recommendations here, and had no problem with either. No hassle for a slightly late check-out either. The concierge and the doorman helped us with all of our needs. Our room on the 25th floor was quiet, and when the blizzard subsided we enjoyed the view of the Chrysler Building and the United Nations building. The only negative was long waits for the elevators, but that probably couldn't be helped. Another plus is the 24-hour pharmacy next door. And there is a subway stop just a few steps away! We covered most of the cost with gift cards, but the rate printed on our receipt looked reasonable for 5 people in midtown during the holiday season. I can't think of a reason not to use this hotel again if I go back and want to stay in midtown.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathy_Fitz
RBishop_DLP, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that we were able to accomodate your needs and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you again for the review.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in one of the newly designed rooms in a 'King' sized bed (felt more like a Queen sized bed...). Think they hired the worst designer for their new rooms; more about that later...

Used the Valet parking since parking garages around the hotel all charged $10/d extra/day for SUV's and were therefore not much cheaper. But during the stay read a review about this hotel on googleplus in which the writer had terrible things to say about the hotel's valet parking. Was debating whether to mention this to the Manager. Decided not to; thought they may have straightened things out; turned out that our car was returned with very few extra miles and with all loose coins where I had left them and nothing missing.

Pros
- new beds
- new furniture
- large, clean, spacious room (approx 410 sq feet) with safe, fridge, and mini-fridge
- semi-firm mattress, great pillows
- great free wi-fi reception
- hair dryer & good iron & iron board
- no sounds from neighboring rooms
- ice machine on every floor
- walking distance to Rockefeller Center, subway, Central Park, Times Square
- replacement glasses for the room everyday
- lots of sockets for chargers
- 24 hour pharmacy beside hotel
- close to excellent restaurants (use Yelp!), excellent coffee shops (Paris Baquette & 1 other around corner), grocery stores

Cons
- no one very friendly (typical in NYC)
- was not made aware of facilities on 12th floor during check-in
- HVAC very very noisy and temperamental during 2nd night; had thermostat set at 65 but temperature must have been 80 when we woke up at 4am. Turned HVAC off but then heard screams from people and traffic on the street (14th floor)...
- the blinds (when closed) make the room very claustrophobic. They do not have the soft curtains that let light in but thru which no one can look in. So only 2 options: blind up or down.
- not enough mirrors
- the sink mirror is the worst one I have ever seen. The light is inside the glass and makes it very hard to shave (wet).
- The bathroom is cold and the new shower only has a small glass wall to prevent water from splashing onto the bath room floor. The wall is too small to contain all the water and makes it uncomfortably cold (during winter) when taking a shower. The water pressure is also quite weak.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank SonofBen
RBishop_DLP, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about our hotel. I love that you had so many pro's to point out but do have some concerns about some of your cons.

One thing for a point of clarification in NYC and as a driver I know how expensive parking can be most garages do charge extra for larger vehicles such as SUV's (Welcome to Manhattan). However unlike day to day parking in NY the valet rate that is charged when parking at the hotel includes in/out privledges unlike parking on your own.

Is it possible to contact me to discuss some of your negative comments? I would like to look further into them. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Our family of 4, children 17 and 20 stayed for 3 nights December 26-29th. We originally had planned to go over Thanksgiving but had to change our trip to after Christmas. Originally I booked a room with 2 queen beds but when we had to reschedule there were only king rooms with the sofa bed available so I had to switch. We had a corner king and although the room size was fine for 3 nights it is an inadequate description to say the room sleeps 4....if they are all adults. We have a king bed at home; the bed in the hotel room was definitely smaller. Not to mention the sleeper sofa was barely large enough for one adult let alone 2. I am not sure what size bed the sofa bed is supposed to be, possibly a full size but it was barely bigger than a twin. So the sleeping arrangements were less than comfortable. Also I prefer that the vanity of the bathroom have it's own area so that more than one person can get ready at a time. With 4 adults and only one bathroom/vanity area it makes things a bit difficult. However those are the only downsides and we would definitely stay here again, just making sure we got a room with two queen beds. The location is very neutral and for the price we found it a very good value.

The concierge did give us wrong subway directions on our first day (telling us to switch trains when there was a direct route) I wasn't happy about that but after the 1st day we could navigate the system on our own and didn't ask for anymore advice on transportation.

Overall a great hotel and was very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mdoyle11

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Coming from a large family I understand the need for bathroom counterspace. We do have different configurations of our rooms, it looks like all the pieces didnt fit. It also sounds like the Queen Queen room you originally booked before your change might have been a better fit for your needs.

Not sure what happened with the train directions, I know sometimes we find out information about subway disruptions or detours that can pop up from time to time OR you just found a better way coming from another Metro City that has subways also. It looks like you picked up right away.

With that I am happy you found the hotel to be a good value. I am happy you were pleased with your stay. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.