“Somewhat disappointed”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East
Ranked #146 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My third stay at this property in a little over 4 months and unfortunately this one didn't shine like the other two.
The check in experience was below average: At no point was I thanked for returning to the hotel (perhaps that information wasn't available, but I have been thanked for repeat business at other properties). Additionally, I was not thanked for being a Rewards Member. I know that information was available.
Finally, the room number provided to me and written on the card envelope was incorrect. I discovered this only after attempting to enter the incorrect room and returning to the lobby thinking that my keys were not functioning properly. Oops... but really only a tepid apology from the front desk, and none from the clerk who had made the error.
The room itself was ok, aside from the large dried glob of who knows what on the inside of the window. I used a damp cloth to clean it up but shouldn't housekeeping be more attuned to that?
Checkout was performed by the same staff member who checked us in. No issues this time but again, no attempt to ask us how are stay was or thank us in any way. Just kind of perfunctory and disinterested.
There are quite a few properties in Manhattan and it is likely that I will try another one the next time I stay in NYC.

Room Tip: Third ave. rooms have a great view of the east side.
2  Thank BernieG
RBishop_DLP, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

I thank you for taking the time to write your review about our hotel. I am sorry that you didnt feel welcomed to our hotel, especially since you are a rewards member. I have passed this review to our Front Office Manager, though the front desk when you are checking in doesn't automatically have access to your stay history (they usually just recognize our repeat guests), that doesnt excuse not recognizing our rewards members or the other interactions we had. I have also notified our Housekeeping Director about your findings in the room.

I never try to make excuses for service that was below our and your expecations. I hope you will consider you have come to our hotel in the past as you indicated, and the other times were shining stays. If you do decide to stay with us again please reach out to me.

Thank you again for your review and information.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,363)

Reviewed 16 March 2014

It's not always easy finding accommodations for a family of 5 but this room met our needs perfectly. It was spacious and clean with 2 queen beds and a sofa bed. Beds were comfortable and the shower had good water pressure. We had no issues with noise. Wi-Fi was included in the rate which is great when travelling with teens. Lighting could be better in the bathroom and bedroom but otherwise no complaints about the room.

We drove to New York and used the valet parking. On the first night, miscommunication resulted in us not obtaining our valet ticket but they were still able to locate our car in a timely manner. Hotel was easy to get to by car and close to the Queensboro Bridge (convenient for us as we were also visiting my aunt in Queens). Walk to Rockefeller Center was 15 minutes. There is a subway right outside the hotel and a taxi ride to the theatre district was under $10.

All the staff we came into contact with were friendly and helpful and we would stay here again.

2  Thank Tour_DB
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Hotel is well-situated. Recently renovated & rooms are decent size, especially for NYC. Rate was reasonable if you have Marriott Senior rate (& to a lesser extent, AAA). Maid was nice & efficient & front desk was nice & responsive to 2 minor issues involving the room.

1  Thank Sheldon T
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Courtyards are always pretty reliable properties in terms of what to expect. We got a good rate for this one ($200 per night) so decided to try it out. The room was what you would expect, average size and clean. No breakfast included here, which is not unusual,for New York. Pretty good location, not in the center of things, but easy walk to lots of attractions. The elevators were a real,problem. There were not enough of them and they were broken often during our stay. This is a big problem for people like me who ask for a really high floor because of street noise and then there are slow elevators that are often not working.

Room Tip: High floor!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank intrepidtraveler23
RBishop_DLP, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about our hotel. First and foremost I apologize that we didn't meet your expectations. You are correct breakfast is not included in our rate (However you can book a breakfast included rate). If one of our high speed elevators was taken out of service it was more than likely for safety or routine maintenance more that one at a time would be highly unsual. I would like to speak with you further about your stay with us, is there any posibility that you can contact me directly?

I am very happy that we have a good location and within walking distance to some of the NY Attractions.

I do again apologize and I thank you for your feedback about our hotel.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed here over a chilly first weekend of March. For the off-season price, we could not have done better. Super location, about a 20 minute walk to Grand Central and Broadway theaters, right next door to a 24-hour drugstore and subway station. Ess-a-Bagel and 24-hour deli within easy walking distance. Absolutely no complaints about the room - we both had the best nights' sleep we'd had in months. Adjusting to being back in reality now!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Penzgirl
RBishop_DLP, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

I'm glad we helped you fend off the brutal winter weather by staying with us. I am sorry for the back to reality feeling after a perfect stay. I have a fix, try another getaway weekend. :)

We really are happy you enjoyed your stay thank you for staying with us. If you come back to our property please let me know.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

This hotel is in an excellent location for us. The E train and 6 are very convenient, so easy access to the East side, midtown, and Penn Station. Please be warned... If you stay here, take ear plugs!!!! You can hear every conversation in any adjacent rooms. The walls are paper thin!! The staff was very helpful.

Room Tip: a room at the end of the hall might be better, as you only have to hear the conversation and TV fro...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jan G
RBishop_DLP, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am very happy that you found the staff helpful and also that you found the hotel to be conveniently located.

May I ask for your assistance? Can you please contact me offline so I can learn more about what room you have occupied. I would like to address your noise concern and see what may be corrected.

It is very important that our guests have a positive stay with us. I thank you again for writing your review and providing the feedback that you did.

Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my father and sister in Feb 2014 for 1 week. We had a suite which consisted of a king size bed and a sofa bed. On arrival staff were very friendly and check in was quick and easy. Our room on the 16th floor was large, clean, well equipped (safety deposit box and fridge at no cost) and the beds very comfortable. It was also modern and fresh unlike a lot of other hotel rooms which can feel 'tired' and well worn. Free wifi in rooms and free use of computers with internet access in the hotels lounge. Most hotels in my experience in New York City charge extra for wifi. If we had any requests staff were happy to help and did so very efficiently. There is also a subway station right outside the front door. All in all I really can not fault this hotel. We were completely satisfied with our stay and would not hesitate to stay again or recommend to another potential guest.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Gareth52bxs

Thank you for your kind words and informative feedback. We try to be a hotel that you will come back to and recommend.

Based on your review I think we accomplished that. I will post your review for all associates to see. They really love to know when they made a great impression.

I / We appreciate you staying at our hotel. Thank you again safe travels