“Has become my first choice for the East side...”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East
Ranked #153 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Having had to stay on the East side to be close to MSK this Marriot has become my go to place to stay. One of the friendliest staffs, from the door to the hallways, that I've ever (NYC or elsewhere) run into, this Marriot has proven time and again to be a good solid place to stay. The rooms are always neat and clean, with a few show a bit of wear, and the beds are fine, if not quite up to the Sheraton level. The AC has been solid in all the rooms that I've stayed in, older units with less thermostat control but all in good working order, Flat screen tv, that could be a bit bigger for the room size, but these are quibbles. On site breakfast is fine with a couple of more creative choices if pedestrian preparation. MOMA and other 50's sites and shopping are nearby for vacationers. Other than the parking, (pick a nearby garage and you'll save a few bucks and get your car back quicker) this is my default when I need to be in this area.

Room Tip: Higher floors will give you a decent view and a bit of distance from the street noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank CarrJL
RBishop_DLP, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey. We are delighted that your stay with the Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East was enjoyable and we are you hotel of choice when staying in NY.

We appreciate your feedback, when staying at our hotel on your next visit. Please reach out to me. I would like to speak with you personally to get some more insite from your stay.

Thank you again for reviewing our hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,366)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The Marriott Courtyard Midtown was a perfect hotel for our stay in NYC. It is located in a area that has reasonably priced, family friendly restaurants, is in easy walking access to shopping, and we (my husband, 12 year old daughter, and I) felt safe walking in the area around the hotel. It has well kept exercise center and a very fun Internet "hang out area" on the 12th floor that we enjoyed taking a break in. Our room was spacious and had it (as well as the entire hotel) has a fun, fresh decor. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. The only drawback was street noise (despite our room being on the 24th floor), but this is probably true with any NYC hotel. Overall, I would recommend and stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher up may be better from a street noise standpoint
Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank RunningPretzelGirl

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed and felt comfortable in the hotel and area. I am glad that you found our gathering place on the 12th floor. During the morning hours it is our Breakfast Restaurant Table 866 but in the afternoon in evening it is designed so our guests can just relax outside of their rooms but in the hotel. Regarding the noise, we are looking for some options to make the sound proofing in the rooms even better. Thank you again for staying at our hotel.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was our first stay in New York, as a family of four and with a moderate budget we picked the Courtyard, mainly due to it's larger room size when comparing to others of similar price range. The hotel didn't disappoint, the room with two queens was perfect, quiet and had all that we required for NYC and the staff were most helpful with whatever we requested. The hotel was in a great location, from our doorstep we had Duane Reade (Convenience Store), the best coffee in New York at Ground Central, Chipotle for delicious Mexican treats and Toasties for whatever your taste buds required for morning starts. I would definitely stay there again if I was to return to NYC.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Frank T

What can I add to this review other than thank you so much for staying at our hotel. We appreciate you taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed here while my husband was having surgery at Sloan Kettering and it was a perfect oasis. The rooms are a good size and up to date, with all the amenities you expect from Marriott. It's a great central location, with easy access to the subway and good shopping and plenty do restaurant choices.

Room Tip: Watch for special pricing, but don't expect to extend it if you decide to stay longer.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Good place to stay. They ran out of double beds so my adult son and I shared a king bed and sofa bed room. The room was otherwise comfortable. Coffee pot, hair dryer, mini fridge, flat screen TV, light blocking window coverings. There was a wedding party on the premises and we could hear a room full of women chatting late at night and in the morning, clear as day. It was as if their voices were traveling up a pipe. The room was non smoking and had a safe in the closet. Would stay here again, if needed.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor. Cars honk at all hours
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We've stayed here twice now, both times for a Friday evening event in mid-May. The staff has been wonderful about letting us check in a bit early and the breakfast cafe is great. This time we had a terrific view of uptown Manhattan. We plan to book again for next year.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank DancerPa

Thank you for writing your review. When you arrive for your next stay please let me know. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay both times. Till next time safe travels.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I am Marriott Silver Rewards customer and my family and I have stayed at this property several times before and have in the past been extremely pleased. In most respects our recent stay was also excellent; we absolutely loved the large, corner room with two queen beds (perfect for our family of four), the staff was as always very polite and helpful, and we love the convenience to midtown attractions and the subway. We have found that many of the recent renovations and upgrades have enhanced our experience, however there is one aspect that will unfortunately result in our family avoiding staying at this hotel in the future: the café experience on the 12th floor has been changed significantly, and not for the better. In the past we enjoyed having a choice between a quick continental breakfast or a larger buffet breakfast. Currently the small café has very limited offerings, and the lines were very long. The poor women behind the counter were working feverishly to keep up but it was clear that they were overwhelmed and understaffed. Our room rate came with breakfast included but it was very confusing what options were available, and it took much longer than should be necessary to place and receive our order. In addition the food was quite unappetizing and much of our food was uneaten. There were several large families behind us in line and some were still waiting to order after we had finished our breakfast. This is unacceptable, especially when visitors are eager to get their day started as quickly as possible so as to maximize their time enjoying the city. We consider these changes to be a downgrade compared to the former experience, and for this reason we will not be staying at this property again unless this situation changes. I am saddened to have to say this about our “go to” Marriott hotel in NYC, but with so many other competitors and options, there are other choices which offer higher value.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DrRickG
RBishop_DLP, Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you for being a Marriott Silver Rewards Member. I am happy that you enjoyed our large rooms which we are known for and also that you found our location able to meet your needs.

We are committed into looking at alternatives that will enhance our guest dining experience including the speed of service. We are also looking into different alternatives to assist our team members.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review. I would love if you come back to our hotel. Please ask for me in the future. I would love to speak to you further about your experiences.