“Clean, spacious rooms, helpful staff”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East
Ranked #158 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We stayed 4 nights here on a family vacation. The room was clean and spacious, with two comfortable queen beds and a fold-out couch (which we did not use). The staff was courteous, helpful, and efficient.

The lobby and check-in area is very small. The restaurant and lounge area and public computers are located on the 12th floor. We did not use the restaurant, but it looked fine.

For room service, Outback Steakhouse delivers.

If you plan to spend a lot of time in Times Square, Greenwich, or Flatiron areas, this is not the most convenient location; however, we walked from Times Square/Theater District back to the hotel after shows without any trouble. The location is good for Central Park South sites.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,385)

Reviewed 24 July 2010

We arrived on Sunday July 4, the start of a 5 day heatwave that the news kept saying was the worst temperatures for the last 15 years. We stayed for 5 days/4nights the entirely length of the heatwave...lucky us.

The hotel is located Midtown-East side with it being in a bit of a business district. The hotel is not overly hard to find but since it is on busy 3rd Ave and right near a corner...but be prepared when you arrive or leave to have a hasty loading time..no messing around when unloading/loading...since traffic is right upon you if leaving at a busy time of day since it is near a corner.

The hotel lobby is clean, simply appointed, satisfactory and while not much room to sit if waiting for someone, it also is the place where occurred the only true complaint with our stay.

My 17 year old son was entering through the front doors of the hotel with myself following directly behind him. As we entered my son opened the right side door and started to negotiate around the door and walk-in when the doorman tried to grab the door from my son who was nearly past the door. At that moment the doorman also while grabbing the door from my son also triggered with his other hand a button that automatically and unexpectedly opened both doors. It happened so quick and my son was so close to the other door which had been closed that when the door popped unexpectedly open it hit my son square in his head, especially along the top part of his nose, right along the bridge of his glasses. It bent the bridge of the glasses. since I was right behind him I saw my son going ...oww loudly ..and also grabbing the top bridge of his nose and the glasses. The doorman looked at us surprised....gave my son and myself the rudest look..like we were at fault...(as if someone purposely walks into a door). I spoke out loudly so that the doorman could hear me...and said "sorry"...and then motioned for him to come in to the lobby and see how we were doing, be courteous and apologize. the doorman looked at me turned around outside and walked away up the street a little staying outside....certainly I could have went back out and got him but didn't want to appear hostile...which somehow in the goofy world I would have been accused of. Additionally my son was just sitting there holding his nose, obviously not liking the pain. Anyway, my son just wanted to go the room so we went up to our room....but the doorman never came back later and apologized..my wife and myself both went back down and talked to the head doorman, an assistant manager on duty, a loss prevention officer who came up to our room and even an representative from Marriott who called to see how we were doing and offering compensation to replace his glasses or pay for a visit to the doctor since my son got quite a bruise from the mishap. While all said they were sorry, there is something to be said about people owning up to just being human. The doorman may have hurt my son by accident but he should be man enough to give apology.

While it did bend the bridge of his glasses my son chose to just live with it and move one and when we got back home Costco was able to send them of to reposition them at no charge. We eventually got the doorman's name which was Ramon from the conversation we had with the loss prevention officer right after the event occurred.

I am not bitter toward Marriott...everyone else did their job correctly and most importantly courteously. I am sure a number of you on here would be wanting blood from Marriott for the mishap..but things sometimes just happen...but I am still a perturbed that Ramon would not take the time to simply say sorry. I think it was quite out of place for a Marriott employee to not call, come up to our room or talk to us any of the times we saw him later in the lobby...with one time him purposedly avoiding us when I finally caught his eyesight one time...I motioned for him to come over nicely and he gave me a scowl and walked back outside. I am sorry for naming him by name.but I do still think he owes us a simple apology.,,he seems bitter for his job...what a shame.

The moral of this stories...slight complaint...please watch yourself walking in the door and be nice to the doorman....he probably has had a rough life and afraid of losing his job or something. Sad that people..especially often hard New Yorkers...can't take a reality check in their life and learn to say I am sorry and a few other words of kind endearance to prove they are wonderful people which I am know them to be.

Otherwise..please stay here...the rooms are above averaged in size...especially by New York standards..Marriott level service was definitely there.. we never lacked for anything, towels, sheets. The room we stayed in had 2 queens and a sofa bed which was good for us since we had ourselves and a 17 year teenager and a 15 year old teenage girl. This made it so both teenagers had a bed and since the room was a above averaged sized we could lay all the bags out and not trip over any of them.....great especially if you for those folks on your trip who may have all of those clothes, makeup and such.

We paid 228 a night plus tax which was pretty reasonable for as many people we had compared to other hotels where we would have got quite a bit less, smaller room and no where near as central. Also free Wi-Fi which worked good the whole stay.

The other slight complaint is that the hotel regulates the room temperature..it will not go below 65 degrees..so if you are one of those types who get a hotel room and put the a/c to deep freeze..this place is not for you. The reason I moan just a little is that with the heatwave outside..(on one of the days it was 108 with 90 percent humidity)...the 65 degrees in the room was balanced to this high heat..making the room inside a warm 80-85. At night it was fine in the room..and if you don't go on such a hot day..you wont have an issue unless you are a deep freeze type. And if you are someone who must have deep freeze in your room..you might find another hotel..the thermostats go no lower.

The hotel has a concierge, a fitness center, a breakfast only restaurant, a business center, and a laundry room...didn't use any of them except the laundry..which the front desk will give free detergent and bounce sheets..although the laundry costs 1.50 for wash and 1.50 for dry...which I am sure is reasonable by NYC standards.

Right out the door of the hotel is a Duane Reade (DR) pharmacy with drinks snacks and things you forgot. The rooms come with a refrigerator so go down to the DR and load up on the drinks to save a few bucks. There are a number of places to eat nearby..the ubiquitous Taco Bell and McD's...but also a few street carts, a Q'Doba burrito and a cupcake shop which was really good. Although with the food issue..just find something you want toeat in the city then walk out the hotel door walk to the subway a few feet away and go to wherever in the city to eat.

As mentioned in other reviews...for that late night pizza..go to Oxford Cafe literally around the corner at 52 and Lex or walk up 3rd two block to Ray Beri...both have great pizza and opened super late.

While at first glance this property may seem a bit out of the way...it is only about 15 minute walk over to Rockfeller, Central Park and the U.N. But the most important thing is that the property is literally built over the 53/Lex Metro stop. The E line will take you to Times Square and points on the West Side of Lower Manhattan or the 6 line which takes you directly down to many points on the East side of Lower Manhattan both stop there and also are express stops..good for the end of the day when you want to get back and not stopping at every station coming up from lower Manhattan..

All in all...nice stay...will definitely stay there again in future..just will have to watch the front door and stay clear of the obviously hardened doorman.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank VespaRider1
Reviewed 22 July 2010

This is it! Get the $45 valet parking... and don't think of driving in NYC. 3 subway lines are just out the door of the hotel. The lobby and front marquis of this hotel worried us when we arrived, but that's not what we were paying for. Up the elevator to the 28th floor, we had a room with 2 queen beds, a sofa bed, an LCD and lots of space for our bags. No yucky bedspreads, or skanky carpet. It was very current. The view was very nice, too. Location was key, and with tons of neighbourhood restaurants within a block, we had lots of choice if we wanted to stay local. We walked to MoMA, 5th Avenue, Rockefeller Plaza, the Empire State Building and Times Square. If you are ready to walk, this is a great location. The rate was reallly good, especially considering we were there over the 4th of July weekend and into that week!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2010

This is a very nice hotel. Our room was on the 29th floor with views of the UN building and the river. The room had two queen beds a couch and an in room safe. The room was large and very clean. The staff were very nice and friendly. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2010

I booked based on the great reviews and reasonable (for New York) rate. Very clean, nice quality linens, 2 queen beds with FIVE pillows each! What I didn't expect was the size of the room and bathroom (Huge by any standards). We had a small couch & work desk and lots of room to spread out. Room includes a safe and small fridge. The restaurant was excellent and staffed by a friendly group. Great location, highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Not family friendly. Firstly, my 3 year old son found a number of small items on the floor when we first arrived. He was about to give them to my 1 year old daughter and she was about to put it in her mouth. She would have chocked on these items that were on the floor. The cleaning service is obviously to blame, but of course they denied that there was anything on the floor! I can't they did not clean the floor! Second, the laundry room didn't dry our clothes so we were left with wet clothes. And the lint collector in the dryers were disgusting and when we opened the dryer door all of the lint flew back to our clothes. The manager of the hotel was unhelpful. This was my first stay in New York and I had a horrible experience at this hotel. Wish I could get it all back

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank tooworriedparent
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Stayed here based on other reviews and they were spot-on. The location is perfect due to proximity to shopping, Central Park, subway, and conveniences (dining, pharmacy, banks, etc.). The hotel was simple but clean, quiet, and safe - no complaints at all. We had a view looking East with a peek of the river and the bed was very comfortable. There was a nice ledge to sit on by the window to watch the city below. We used points so I can't comment on price. The subway is at the end of the block (just make sure you already have the metro card or you'll have to walk an extra block to the kiosk entrance) and has lines that can take you uptown or downtown including straight to Penn Stn where the buses and Amtrak come. We used it to go to Lincoln Center one night and Chelsea another (recommend High Line Park, btw). It was a bit challenging getting back from the Village late at night due to maint so be prepared to walk or catch a cab. Rock Plaza and Brand name shopping is 5 blocks away on 5th Ave. Central Park 8 blocks. We didn't visit Times Sq but it is also walking distance or a few stops away. A small park along the East River is also a short walk. We've stayed at higher end hotels in Midtown but will likely return here for the best overall package especially because we can get in/out easily on the subway and get peace and quiet at night. A pharmacy is next door; a coffee shop and bagel place 1 block away; and numerous pubs and small restaraunts within a 3 block radius. Thank you Marriott!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple