“Noisiest Boutique Hotel ever!”

The Marcel at Gramercy
Ranked #148 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toulouse
“Noisiest Boutique Hotel ever!”
Reviewed 28 October 2007

I've stayed at the Marcel three times. The reason I came back is that even though the rooms are minscule, they are nicely appointed - everything is new so it gives you the impression you're staying at a more upscale hotel - even though for Manhattan, I would describe this as mid-priced. The problem is that for this stay - I was on the third floor - so fairly well accessible by stairwells as opposed to the elevator - which is programmed such that it will skip your floor to make the total round trip - getting as many people into it before stopping to get you... frustrating to watch it wizz by you several times before stopping... sigh. In any event, because of the low floor, the stairwell doors never stopped slamming. Also, the hotel staff with the luggage carts bang their way through the halls without regard for how much noise they're making! All the maintenance staff - housekeeping etc. are very nice. But I've found the front desk staff to be variable - and in my three times here, I have never seen the same person 2x. Well I can say the same for the 5 star where I stay in Seattle (for the same price I might add as this 2.5 - 3 star hotel in Manhattan). I would stay here again, I guess. Because in Manhattan your choices for good price are limited. Bring earplugs!

• Liked — Boutique Hotel Feel
  • Disliked — Noisy! Slamming stairwell doors all hours of the night and day...
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Philly
Reviewed 28 October 2007

The room was to have been a queen - got a double. You could literally stand on the bed and touch the two side walls. We arrived when it was 50 degrees outside - but our room was at least 85 - likely closer to 90. The gummi bears on the honor bar were melted...no lie. When we turned on the window AC unit - it blew hot air, the rather useless front desk staff advised us that it was "Central Air" and that it was turned off for the season and to open a window, which we did but then spent the night listenting to a parade of fire trucks, garbage trucks and wondering when we would be visited by a pigeon. the floors on the thrid floor gave to a degree that it made one feel that they would drop through, the sheets smelled not so pleasant and the fridge was also only good for heating things.....a truly horrid stay - stay at a hostel for better ammenities and cheaper.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank aspenphoto
London
Reviewed 24 October 2007

I would say to anyone looking for reasonably affordable hotel accomodation in New York, this is a good option. The location's good, the staff are fine, there's a great breakfast place down the road and our room was recently refurbished, very clean and comfortable.

It's always hard to find nice affordable places in big cities, but this is a sound choice.

Stayed September 2007
London
Reviewed 15 October 2007

Spent 4 nights there in a standard room and would recommend it to those looking for a good value no frills hotel. Like others I wondered what I had let myself in for when I read some of the earlier reviews but the stay was actually quite pleasant. All the building work appears to be over and both the lifts were working. Room was small but not unduly so for a hotel of this class in NYC and they had done what they could with the furnishings to give it a bit of style. Very clean and fixtures mostly new. All the staff I dealt with were efficient and helpful. The aircon was a bit noisy and, while there were instructions for a room safe, the room didn't actually contain one ! I also agree that the minibar was overpriced and superfluous. But overall a good play to stay and we'd come back here. Liked the area too- not far from the Lexington Avenue line and plenty of restaurants in 3rd Avenue.

Stayed October 2006
1 Thank Dilwyn G
salt lake city, utah
Reviewed 24 September 2007

After reading the reviews on The Marcel, I would have to say I was alittle worried but the location was perfect for the work I needed to do in NYC. I am here to say that the Marcel met and exceeded my expectations. Their customer service was exceptional the decor was right up my alley and the size of the room, perfect and the room was very clean. Lets face it folks if your in NYC and spending your day in a hotel room something is seriously wrong with you.
The location was very close to public transport , most hotels in NYC you have to walk to the subway, whats a couple of blocks when your in the best city in the world to walk in. Now some of you who had a negative experience at the Marcel are reading this review and saying she never travels, oh I travel, and I travel alot and I make it a point to stay in great hotels.
cheers to The Marcel and I will be back to stay with several of my friends in Feb of 08 for a week.

Stayed September 2007
3 Thank fashionshopgirl
Cologne
Reviewed 23 September 2007

We stayed at the Marcel hotel in a Deluxe room for two nights and actually loved in from the beginning. Rooms are like shown on the internet pics, very clean, with love to details, and we actually were able to look right onto the empire state from our beds.
I especially loved the bathroom, which hasa rain shower and a great Art Deco look.

The happiness lastet till 7 a.m. the next morning, when one of our neighbours had a shower and we had to discover that the hotel has some problems with the pressure in the water pipes, which ends up in a terrible noise.
The front desk manager told us the problem was new and they'd try to fix it that same day, but as we were told later on by a technican, the problem actually is well known there. After quite a lot of disussion they upgrated us to a suite for the second night, which then in fact was really great, and without a noise.

Overall, a great hotel, besides the waterpipes.
I'd recommend it, but if you book a room there, make sure you're not on the 9th floor (thats were they have the problem).

• Stayed September 2007
3 Thank AnnaR82
vancouver,bc
Reviewed 29 August 2007

A great central location. Not too loud, really: it is New York City, after all.
Two things I will need next time:
An empty fridge! I don't want to buy your over priced sodas, waters and beers! I would like to store my own, less expensive and more palatable items in the fridge!
I would also like to have a local phone directory in my room.
The room we had was small but adequate. Clean and comfortable.
The air conditioner was rather loud.
Pleasant staff.
Yes, one of the two lifts is (still) not in service.
thanks,
tomh

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — Fridge with no storage space for personal items. No local phone directory in room.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple