“Won't return--claustrophobic”

Ranked #160 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New England
“Won't return--claustrophobic”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I travel for a living and used to live in Manhattan, know that to begin. This hotel was, in a word, suffocating. They did not have the bed size I had reserved (queen) and instead gave me a tiny room with a full (if that) bed and no window. When I asked for a change, the desk clerk tried to tell me This is the way it is in NYC." I then got an even smaller room (no closet) but at least it had a window. The halls are also cramped and the overall feeling was claustrophobic. One of the few hotels in NYC I will not visit again.

Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank JanieD
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Dear JanieD,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I am disappointed to learn that you were not satisfied with your accomodations while staying with us. I noticed that your stay was in August of 2010. Please note that over the past year we have made many improvements and hope that you would consider giving us another opportunity the next time you are traveling to New York.

Thank you again for informing us of your experience and hope we are able to welcome you back.

Nalini Sullivan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My family and I stayed at the marcel in early july for a mini family get away and boy wasnt It amazing! The staff made us feel right at home upon our arrival and gave us amazing resturant suggestions throughout our stay! As for the rooms they were decent sized for a nyc hotel cant complain! Deff will be returning to the Marcel.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Richard3100
Dear Richard3100,

Thank you so much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and the staff was accomodating!

We are very appreciative of your kind words and we hope to see you again soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2011

The hotel staff were amazingly friendly and helpful, we especially appreciated the fact the doorman recommended the black car service to take us to the airport at the end of our stay. The hotel room was small, but clean, and we thought the roof top lounge was great for planning the day ahead with fantastic views. The only downside to the room on the second floor was the fact that it was above a noisy bar/restuarant and the air conditioning unit was extremely loud. Luckily we were tired enough most nights to sleep through it.

Location was also very good, we found some really nice bars nearby and it was walking distance to Empire State Building.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 25 July 2011
Dear nyclane,

Thank you so much for writing a review on TripAdvisor!

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to utilize the car services that we offer.

We hope that we are able to welcome you back very soon!

General Manage
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Was given a room which faced another building or maybe it faced into the restaurant next door. A/C worked terribly and window would not open...possibly due to the loud compressor just outside the window. Room was extremely tiny and they try to call this tiny table a desk which I couldn't even sit at. I had to pull the damn thing away from the wall and do work or eat from the edge of the bed.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank dals107
Dear dals107,

Thank you for writing about your experience at The Marcel on TripAdvisor. I am very disappointed to learn that you were not completely satisfied with your recent stay. Please accept my sincerest apology for this.

We do offer a variety of room type choices and always recommend that you inform our staff if you are not satisfied with your room.

I would love to further discuss your stay if you would like, nsullivan@amsterdamhospitality.com

I hope that we are able to welcome you back to our hotel so that we may change your opinion of The Marcel at Gramercy!

Thank you once again!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We stayed here for three nights in July and I really liked it. The hotel is clean, modern and stylish although the rooms are small - but this is New York. Really friendly staff and good location too. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David123456789
Dear David123456789,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor! I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we are able to welcome you back very soon!

Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I alone stayed in one of the small rooms. Just large enough for one person for a three day stay. Sort of like a college dorm space but with new furnishings. Right next to Baruch College with a dry cleaners and small grocery around the corner. Take the black car service to and from the Airport rather than any shuttle or taxi service, $35. Staff very helpful. Definitely will stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank brucecommitte
Dear brucecommitte,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor, it is most appreciated!

I am glad that you enjoyed our convenient location as well as the hospitality our staff offers, we are very proud of our team!

We hope we are able to welcome you back very soon!

Thank you!

Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 16 July 2011

My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful stay at this gem of a hotel. It's clean, comfortable, and sleek and located in a beautiful residential neighborhood that is close to all the sights! Best of all was the FANTASTIC service we received from the friendly and knowledgeable staff. Particularly helpful was Mark Butler, the charming front office supervisor from Dublin. No request was too big or too small for this guy! When he learned that it was my wedding anniversary and I wanted to do something special to surprise my husband he went out after work, purchased Godiva chocolates and a bottle of champagne, and had it set up in our room upon our return! My husband and I travel a lot and have NEVER had a member of the hotel staff go the extra mile like that for us. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KathyandBill
Dear KathyandBill,

Thank you for writing your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor! I am so pleased to hear that Mark and the staff were accommodating during your stay with us!

I am very glad that you enjoyed your time with us, we hope to welcome you back very soon!