“An amazing property!”

The Marcel at Gramercy
Ranked #140 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 October 2011

We can't say enough about this great property. Right from the start with bellmen Mohammed, Danny (who did our room change) and especially Raul (who actually went and bought me a new new magazine when room change showed mine had gone missing and delivering it to me in person)! These guys all went above and beyond in personal service! Cathy, Lindsey and Zac at the front desk ,who accommodated our every need, and Michael and Mark, all were on top of their game. The housekeeping staff couldn't have been nicer. We stayed for ten days and they were most respectful of our needs and conscientious during our visit. The adjoining restaurant, Inoteca, and Milano Bar were a delight and always packed for lunch and dinner. Granted, the rooms are not spacious and there isn't a lot of space for storing clothes, etc., but it didn't bother us as the service far surpassed any inconveniences. We did have tiny snafu the first two nights we were first located directly above the Polar Lounge ( a really cool nightclub under the hotel (and our room), but we were moved as soon as another came available without a hitch. Lastly, the location is perfect. You are literally minutes from great restaurants, shopping, tours, the Empire State building and subway connections. My husband was there on business and I tagged along for the ride. Neither of us were disappointed. We thank the entire staff for their stellar service. We will definitely return to this fine property.many thanks, Stephani and Michael Potter!

Room Tip: Just make sure you are not above the Polar Lounge Nightclub.
1  Thank Stephani P
There are newer reviews for The Marcel at Gramercy

Reviewed 25 October 2011

This was our second stay at The Marcel and again, we were not disapointed. There were a couple of minor grumbles (toiletries were not always replenished and the air con was very loud) but this wasn't enough to put us off coming back. The room is very small (does not have a wardrobe - only a chest of drawers) but there is room to hang things up (and you don't get that in a lot of hotels!) and the bed is so comfortable that I was dreading going home to my own! As with our last stay, it is the staff that make us want to come back and it was a shame we didnt get to see Raoul again before we left as he was helpful and a great asset to the hotel, as were the front desk staff - genuine helpfulness. The area is quieter than further up town, but the food in the local area (Mikeys Diner in particular and East are both pretty awesome) and is walking distance from a tube line and from the cool Union Square.

I left my perfume behind so I need another trip ASAP!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - go past the 6th floor to avoid the sounds of the traffic. The room are very w...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2011

Dear BlissSeekerLondon,

Thank you very much for posting a review on TripAdvisor, I am delighted to hear of the warm hospitality our team delivered while you were staying with us!

We pride ourselves on ensuring that our guests are well taken care of and we appreciate the fact that you noticed!

Thanks again, we hope to see soon!

Reviewed 21 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 8 nights with my husband in September 2011. The first night our room was very small. The air con was loud and right next to the bed. I was worried as it was so loud but the hotel staff offered to upgrade us to a bigger room for the next 7 nights.
The second room was much better! I agree the rooms are small but the room we stayed for the rest of our trip was bigger and had room to unpack our bags. We stayed on level 5. I recommend asking for a higher floor if you are a light sleeper as the traffic is a little loud.
The location is great! Close to so many restaurants. 3 blocks to a laundromat which was handy. About $10 by taxi to broadway. We could walk to west village (half hour stroll). The hotel also had a lounge on level 10 with free Internet and great view of empire state building.
Overall, I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011

Dear Hkj00,

Thank you for posting a review of your experience at our hotel! We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your stay. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we are able to welcome you back very soon!

Thanks again!

Reviewed 19 October 2011

The best thing about this place was the personal touch. Raul was the man. He made conversation every time we were in the lobby, remembered our names, and gave us top-notch service. I've never been to a hotel with such genuinely (read: not put-on customer service cheese) nice folks. Raul and Zack blew me away with the genuine amiability and insiders' guides to the city.

If you're a young professional like me, the hotel is a perfect fit. It's in a cool part of town accessible to lots of bars, and it's not more room than you need. If you want a big room, pay lots for one. If you want to actually have a vacation, get out and see the city! All you need's a bed (and the iHome they had on our nightstand for tunes). I'd stay there again for sure.

Dear Kyle S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at The Marcel at Gramercy. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay as well as the hospitality of our staff!

We hope that we are able to welcome you back very soon!

Thanks again!

Reviewed 18 October 2011

A few years ago I stayed here because it was convenient to where I needed to be and had an affordable (by NYC standards) garage across the street. It was pretty awful, overrun with European "group" travelers. But it was cheap, around $110 a night as I recall. They've since done a lot to elevate it. Enlarged public spaces. Brought in a restaurant, now offer (for a price) continental breakfast, enlarged the elevators so that whole yours and their luggage can fit it inside, raised the prices. But the rooms, though re-decorated, not awfully, are still closets. Want to wash your face or shave? Be prepared to be bumping your head into the medicine cabinet mirror. Need to "go" in the middle of the night? Prepare to be slammed in the back by the spring-loaded door. And just try to find an outlet to charge your phone or Kindle. The staff are quite friendly and accommodating. But at $200+ per night all in, that's just not enough. The garage across the street is still a pretty good value though.

Room Tip: Don't know that they have one.
1  Thank eamccabe
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

Dear eamccabe,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you noticed the many improvements we have added such as our glamorous lobby with a fireplace and sitting area, our 10th floor guest lounge with phenomenal views of the Empire State Building as well as our roof top space in which our guests have exclusive access to. As well as our tastefully appointed guest rooms in which our designers have made the most efficient use of space.

I am disappointed you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay and I hope that you mentioned your challenges to our staff, since we would have been more than happy to assist you while you were staying with us. It seems that you reserved one of our most economical rooms, which would be a standard room. I would recommend for you to reserve a deluxe room in the future, as our room prices are very competitive and many times less than other hotels of the same caliber in the area.

I am pleased that you found our staff to be accommodating and helpful, we pride ourselves on the service we are able to deliver to our guests.

Thank you once again for your review, if you would like to discuss further feel free to contact me at nsullivan@amsterdamhospitality.com.

We hope to welcome you back soon to our hotel!

Reviewed 16 October 2011

we were put in a very small room which was clearly a single room,no wardrobe and only one bedside table.We complained and we were moved the next day to a better room with no hassle.
The view from the roof terrace on the 10th floor was great,could see the Empire state building a short distance away.Free tea and coffee available in the adjoining lounge.
The rooms are comfortable and clean.
The lobby is modern and stylish with nice area to sit or meet friends.
The Bluebell restaurant nearby was lovely for meals and the Lyric diner was excellent value for breakfast (go to end of street and turn left,Lyric on corner of next block).
Gramercy Tavern for lunch is highly recommended(Featured in Master Chef).

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room,but don't expect a view if you do.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2011

Dear bentleybelle0,

Thank you very much for your review! We appreciate you taking the time to inform others of your experience at The Marcel at Gramercy. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the amazing view from our roof top space!

Thank you again and we hope that we are able to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 14 October 2011

A special thanks to Raoul! The last day, before arriving at the airport, we forgot the iPhone and Raoul stopped our taxi and gave it to us. The hotel is in a good position, near the center, but the rooms are too small. Un saluto dall'Italia, consiglio a chiunque di visitare New York........................................……

• Stayed: September 2011