“The best service ever!”

Ranked #123 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Thanks so much Jacquelin and Lindsay for making my mom's trip to New York
such a memorable one! Our room, 404 was perfect, the lounge and the patio
was awesome, your service impeccable!!! People like you make us want to
come back sooner than later. It's unfortunate that hurricane Sandy cut our
vacation short by 2 days, we were so sad. The best part about Marcel
is the proximity to Gramercy, the NYU dorm. We had the best time, and
my daughter loved your hotel too and showed it off to all her friends from
NYU after her performance with David Gordon. Thanks so much for
your hospitality!!!! We love you, Rose, Lily and Becca

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,245)

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I got a double room last december. The lobby and the hotel is great. Good value considering I got an offer from a well-known option. Everything I can say is that the hotel is great. The rooms were brand new and free of noise.
The lobby and the facilities are excellent.
I asked for a room in an upper floor, looking to the north. This part of the hotel is even better if you don't want to live with the Avenue's noise.

I really liked the neighborhood, full of supermarkets, restaurants and good connection to the Underground and buses. I walked almost all the time to reach the UN area, the 5th avenue commercial area and other interesting places. Not far from the Village and Lower Manhattan.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I am fairly picky about hotel rooms and picked this one mainly because of it's location (we needed to be near Gramercy and NYU) and because the reviews were good. We stayed a week and I really have no complaints. It was clean and quiet (we asked for a quiet room) and the staff were very accommodating. (Room didn't have enough light for my old eyes so they brought extra lamps for us as soon as we asked.) It would have been nice to have free internet but they gave us a discount on it so that helped and for the very reasonable room prices, I think some things will have to be extra. My sister would have liked a coffee pot in the room but then, all we had to do in the morning was to go up to the top floor to get coffee. The lounge and outdoor area upstairs was a very nice place to visit. It has a nice "low key" feel to it and not the big impersonal ambience of the larger hotels. All in all, a winner for me. I would stay there again anytime.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and one with "light" and were put on the 9th floor away from the...
1  Thank PegPDX
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2012

Thank you so much for posting on TripAdvisor!

We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your experience at The Marcel at Gramercy.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed 29 October 2012

I was in NYC one night for a concert and needed a place to stay that was reasonably priced on sort of short notice (finding a room for less than $250 a night with 5 weeks notice is not that easy in NYC!). Marcel was very stylish, nicely located near two subways lines, and with helpful and courteous staff. I arrived very early, before 10 am, on the day of my reservation. They did not have a room for me then but took my phone number and called me at 1.00 pm to say they had a room for me (normal check in is 3.00). Leaving my bag with the concierge on both days was not a problem and they helped me with a taxi on my way back to the airport. The neighborhood has tasty nearby options for food which I was happy about.

My only real concern is that the room, and many of the rooms it seems, was very small. It was great for one person for one night, but if you had any significant amount of luggage or if there was more than two of you it would likely be a squeeze.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank lesjorgie
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We have family in the Gramercy Park neighborhood so we pick hotels in that part of Manhattan. As others have said, the rooms are small but the beds comfortable and the price is right. Room service brought ice within 5 minutes. There was a lack of places to charge electronic devices. I had mine on the floor in the corner. It seems to me that the more expensive the hotel the more likely the hotel is to charge for WiFi. The Marcel is no exception. I am tired of being charged for WiFi so I now just carry my ipad and use local cellphone service. Since I have done that I have removed a major irritation I have when staying in a "nice" hotels. Almost every chain motel out on the interstate has free high speed WiFi. Come on Marcel at Gramercy. Charge everyone a few dollars more and give your guest something we all want and need for free.

Room Tip: This part of Manhattan has a lot of noise so maybe stay off 3rd Avenue. We were in the back of the h...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Thank you very much for posting a review on TripAdvisor!

I am very pleased that you enjoyed you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Please accept my sincere apology for not having enough outlets in your guest room. We are actually in the process of solving this challenge that exists in some of our guest rooms. We are grateful to hear feedback from our guests on TripAdvisor and will ensure to do our very best to address all concerns.

Please note that while we do charge for WiFi connectivity we do offer complimentary use of computers with access to internet as well as printing services in our 10th floor guest lounge-for future reference, and the view isn't bad either!

Thanks again for your time!

We hope to see you at The Marcel at Gramercy very soon!

Reviewed 19 October 2012

We live in the suburbs, but occasionally spend the night in Manhattan to make the most of our time. We were very impressed by the location of this hotel, and the staff was exceptional. We were immediately upgraded at checkin, and we exchanged parenting stories with the Bellman who was very careful stowing our belongings until the room was cleaned. There are a few rough spots in the rooms, that could be sorted, but the hotel doesn't show its age like others. We had a great nights sleep, parked in a reasonably priced garage directly across the street, and experienced a staff that went out of their way to be kind, which is rare. Sure, the rooms are a little small, but this is New York, so you can expect that to be the case. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Thank you for posting on TripAdvisor!

We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your experience at The Marcel at Gramercy, as well as you mentioning some of our team members that made your stay more enjoyable!

Our team at The Marcel try to ensure a personalized experience for each of our guests and I am very glad that our front office team made you feel very welcomed.

We hope that we are able to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!

Thanks again,

Reviewed 16 October 2012

My room was small but very well-appointed and as one person how much space do I really need? It was stylishly decorated. Loved the eco-bath products. They were having an event in their breakfast space but nicely laid out some pastries, coffee and juice on the ground floor.

Room Tip: A standard room can be a double or a queen bed. If you are two people you probably want to call and...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2012

Thank you so much for posting your experience on TripAdvisor!

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that we are able to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!