“Overrated mediocre hotel”

Ranked #163 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Upstate New York
“Overrated mediocre hotel”
Reviewed 1 April 2008

I just spent 7 nights at the Marcel so I have a pretty good sense of this hotel. They try to project a fancier image with doormen, funky decor and wine and cheese in the evening, but it didn't really live up to my expectations. My room--one bed-- was very, very tiny. I know it's New York, but when there's no place to put your suitcase, it's rough. The room decor is clashing but fun. I enjoyed the modern colors and prints. The biggest problem was the cleaning folks. Despite leaving our room repeatedly because they kept knocking on the door, the room still wasn't clean by 5:00 in the evening. I didn't feel comfortable with how well they cleaned. One day we came in to find the uncleaned room filled with cigarette smoke and the window open as if our room was the smoking lounge. I had to pay extra for the wireless service, which isn't cheap, and while it was adequate, it was rather slow. One plus was the front desk staff and doormen. They were always friendly and helpful. I think if this hotel works on improving their cleaning staff, it can get better, but you might want to ask if they have larger rooms.

• Liked — friendly front desk staff and doormen
  • Disliked — the cleaning staff
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank apoxeet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 28 March 2008

With the location and the price, my expectations of this hotel were pretty low. I was quite surprised to find how nice the hotel was. The staff could not have been more helpful or friendly.

Upon check-in I requested a quiet room. I know, a quiet room in NYC, dream on! Again, shockingly surprised to get an interior room that was so quiet you couldn't have guessed you were even in a city.

The beds were harder than I like and the bathroom had one of those annoying new square shallow sinks, but the wine and cheese reception was warm and friendly. Don't miss the chance to step out on the terrace from the hospitality suite, what a view!!!

Overall, a most pleasant experience, one I will seek out again!

• Liked — service/price
  • Disliked — beds too hard
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nancy B
London
Reviewed 13 March 2008

I thought it was excellent. I was staying on my own and had a massive bedroom which was slick and clean and groovy. Staff very helpful indeed and I was given a glass of sparkling wine the minute I checked in.
A couple of downsides.. Bedroom terribly overheated. Loved the 10th floor where you get free internet and excellent coffee but the breakfast was very disappointing. Rock hard bagels and indifferent cereals. Don't waste your money when there are so many great places a 10 minute walk away. Overall I would definitely recommed it and would stay again.

Stayed March 2008
London
Reviewed 12 March 2008

For New York this is quite a resonably priced hotel-I stay in hotels quite frequently due to business and would give this hotel a 7/10, rooms were clean and had trendy decor. Good location for bars and food bad for shopping as at least 10 blocks away.

Great TV!

The only bad things about the room was obviosly small, odd layout as door opens onto your bed, bathroom okay style didnt fit rest of decor. NO VIEW-ours was of a bricked up alley.

Resonably helpful staff.

Nice stylish budget hotel.

• Liked — Stylish
  • Disliked — compact
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
abell44
Reviewed 20 February 2008

I love this place! The Marcel is extremly clean, the staff are fantastic and our room was huge! The lounge on the tenth floor was great - computers with free internet access (great when you want to google a Restaurant), free coffee and tea, and an amazing roof deck! I booked it through hotels.com and got a deluxe room- we paid $250 a night, but it was definitly well worth it! Also, I called the Hotel and requested a corner room. They only have 1 corner room per floor, so be sure to call early. Parking was across the street for $27 per day. Great location - close to the village (about a $6 cab ride). All in all - I Loved this place and would recommend it to anyone! We stayed in room 607 and it was amazing.

• Liked — The room & the lounge
  • Disliked — can't think of anything!
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
South River, NJ
Reviewed 18 February 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night to celebrate valentines day. We arrived around 730pm and the check in was quick and simple, gave us our key and we were off.

The entrance way had a wide fireplace built in th wall and a doorman. There was a parcking deck right across the street and for 24 hours they charge us 27$ which isnt that bad at all for parking in the city!

We stayed in room 311. It was VERY tiny, but clean and very modern. The bathroom was clean and was pretty decent sized. The bed was comfortable except the fitted sheet wasnt very tight and kept moving when i moved.

Liquor store and convenience store right around the corner.
Cab to Lafayette was only 10$.

Check out was simple and quick as well!!

I would DEF recommend this hotel to couples... its worth the money!!!

• Liked — location, cleanlieness and friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — the tiny rooms
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 February 2008

I loved this hotel. It was decorated the way I would love to have my place done. It was modern and sleek.. the rooms are small, but it is NYC.
I didn't care much for the shallow bathroom sink, but the bathroom was very well appointed.
All in all: I loved this place and totally will stay there again!

• Liked — The decor
  • Disliked — The internet for 10USD a day
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business