“Perfect boutique hotel in great location”

The Marcel at Gramercy
Ranked #160 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Miami, Florida
“Perfect boutique hotel in great location”
Reviewed 17 February 2013

My boyfriend and I have stayed at the Marcel 3 times and each visit has been perfect. The location of the hotel has been great for us since we've always come for a Memory Competition happening around Union Square, a 10 minute walk from the hotel. You can pretty much walk to all of the places you want to be (soho, E. Village, 5th Ave) but If you're not much of a walker, there's a close subway stop or you can easily grab a cab on 3rd Ave. Gramercy is kind of a quiet neighborhood so it's nice to come back to the hotel after a hectic day.

The hotel lobby is relatively small but has a very nice cozy cool feeling with gas fireplaces and nice seating. The check-in staff are incredibly friendly and accommodating.
The first room we ever stayed in was a bit on the smaller side but it was very clean and comfortable, and the view made up for it. The last two times we stayed in a corner room - the room was much bigger, with a view of the empire state building!

The common lounge on the 10th floor also has this great view of the empire state building - my boyfriend was actually interviewed and photographed on this outdoor deck because the backdrop is so quintessentially NY. Definitely worth starting or ending your day up there.

Ps. There's a great little bagel shop on 25th and 3rd - delicious, warm bagels for cheap, great and easy breakfast! The restaurant downstairs from the hotel, Inoteca, was a great place for lunch or a glass of wine before heading out to dinner.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We stayed here for one night. The hotel staff was very helpful and polite. The hotel and the rooms are well decorated and clean. I would not stay at this hotel for more than one night. The room and bathroom was too small for two people. We felt cramped because there was no space for movement.

• Stayed February 2013
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor!

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please note that we do offer many different room categories that vary in size based on budget. Our Standard Rooms are average for NYC but we do offer a Deluxe category that is quite spacious and would recommend guests to reserve the Deluxe or Superior category if a Standard room would be too small.

We hope that we will be able to able to welcome you back soon!

Northamptonshire
Reviewed 14 February 2013

We were so pleased with our choice of hotel! The staff were very pleasant, from the receptionists to the housekeeping staff. Our room wasn't particularly large but had good storage, a safe and a wonderful bed (one of the best sleeps I have had for a long time). The bathroom was really small and if I stayed again I would probably pick a room with a larger bathroom. The hotel provided tea/coffee all day long which was a nice touch. We had no problem getting around and we found good eateries near to the hotel. Our stay was just before Christmas so everywhere was really busy but this did not cause us a problem. On Sunday we walked over Brooklyn Bridge and ate at Grimaldi's Pizza place which is underneath. We had to queue but as we met some nice folk from Chicago this was not a problem. Well worth the trip.
Altogether we enjoyed our short stay in NY and when we return we will definitely stay at The Marcel.

Room Tip: Check on bathroom size.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Northants
Reviewed 10 February 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Marcel for 2 nights at the start of our American tour for Christmas. On arrival we were greeted by the doorman and the receptionist, I already felt at home. The hotel was clean, warm and well decorated in both public areas and the rooms.
Our room was perfectly adequate with good storage and all we needed; however the bathroom was a shade small and if I was on an extended stay would have asked for an upgrade but that is not to say there was anything wrong with the bathroom just personal preference.
The breakfast room at the top had a roof garden and a nice touch I particularly liked was that you could go up for a coffee or tea any time of day, what a nice idea after a day in New York.
Although the Marcel was well down Manhatten I didn't feel it to be a problem as the subway was not far away and I felt the position was good for us as we enjoy a walk. Most important of all we felt safe even at night after returning from a Broadway show.
The breakfast was a continental affair and I needed something more NY and was recommended to a good place half a block away and had the real American breakfast. There is no tinsel and bells in this hotel but it was a good honest working hotel, well run by conscientious staff, I am only sorry I was unable to stay longer in NY but if I return I will more than likely stay at The Marcel at Gramercy. We are a couple in our early 60s, flash packing, globe trotting travellers.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travellers5658
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 9 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Marcel twice in 2012. Our last trip was over Thanksgiving. It's a great little hotel. The rooms are well appointed with a wardrobe and desk, and they're fabulously decorated right down to the pencils. The Taproom Pub (Recommended) is a half block south, and you're within short walking distance of the 6 train. For breakfast, I recommend L'Express (20th & Park), which is within easy walking distance as well. Stroll by Gramercy Park on your way back to the Marcel. Enjoy.

Room Tip: I've stayed here twice, and while the rooms are small, they're not overly so. We had a great...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 8 February 2013

The Marcel at Gramercy represents exceptional value for it's location! Welcoming staff at check-in. Rooms are modern, comfortable and clean with comfortable beds. The staff is well trained and personable.The day before my check-out, I fell ill and a big blizzard was approaching the city, I asked for an extended stay and was told the hotel was full. Jacqueline Pabon, the Front Office Manager, was very understanding, she personally made it a point to find an alternative. Although she could not confirm an extended stay, she kept at it. Finally, by mid-morning on check-out day my stay was extended. My appreciation to her and her staff.
I highly recommend staying at The Marcel at Gramercy

Room Tip: Would recommend higher floors especially on the north side.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 9 February 2013
Thank you so much for posting your review of your stay on TripAdvisor!

I am delighted to hear that our Front Office Manager Jaqueline was able to accommodate your needs during this past weekends storm.

I hope you think of us the next time you visit NYC!

Thanks again!

Wimbledon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I have stayed here many times for work related trips, it is in a great location. The staff from the welcome desk to room service are always helpful and friendly. The standard rooms are on the small side but they are clean and modern. And how much time do you plan a staying in your room anyway!?!?

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for posting on TripAdvisor!

We appreciate your loyalty to us! I am very pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your time At The Marcel at Gramercy. We enjoy having our repeat guests stay with us and hope to see you again very soon!

Sign up on our website so you can be sure to receive any specials or promotions we may be offering to our repeat guest!

Thank you again for posting your experience on TripAdvisor!