“Great stay at The Marcel”

The Marcel at Gramercy
Ranked #163 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Leeds
“Great stay at The Marcel”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Hi all

I found a great rate on ratestogo.com and booked this hotel for our trip. We arrived around 9pm, and checked in within a few minutes. The clerk was lovely and very helpful, we were hungry and the recommended a great selection of takeaways that would deliver or we could walk to.

Our room was on the 3rd floor, no view but it was very clean and modern. The bathroom had a bathe with shower over, lovely toiletries and was very clean.

The bed was a little smaller than what im used to but was still fine and very comfortable.

Rooms were cleaned every morning. The lobby and front of the hotel are very welcoming and I can't fault the staff nor the rooms, it was a lovely hotel.

The location is good too, a 5-8 minute walk from the subway and plenty of shops restaurants and bars around.

You can get a great breakfast at the Lyric Diner, a 5 minute walk away.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

Rosie

1 Thank Rosie J
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review!

We appreciate you taking the time to post your experience on TripAdvisor!

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Nalini Sullivan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Another great trip to the city. The front desk staff, Lindsay & Brittany and Danny are so great, and helpful. I look forward to returning every year. This is definetly my hotel of choice. I love the location and walking is easy to wherever I want to go.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor!

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the great service from our team. Thank you for mentioning our teammembers, we will be sure they are aware of your wonderful comments.

We appreciate you taking the time to share you experience and we hope to welcome you back very soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

The room is small, good location, the reception was nice, overall not bad, maybe overrated...
The place is clean, good amenities in the bathroom, although there is no window.
The place is a bit formal, very dark. The stay would have been good if the room had not been soooo small, no place to hang clothes and i could not move without hitting the edge of the bed

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank isablubelle
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your stay on TripAdvisor!

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay but disappointed that you found our rooms to be too small. We do offer a variety of room size choices for every budget. It is important to us that our guests' are comfortable so always inform us of any challenges while staying with us and we will do our very best to accommodate!

Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Aberdeen
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I feel like I'm becoming a bit of an ad man for the Marcel. We've stayed here for the same couple of weeks on a number of occasions now, I think that says it all.

We arrived on August 25th after flying in from Chicago. After landing at La Guardia, I was immediately in a foul mood as my luggage was still in Chicago. I was so annoyed on the taxi on the way in that I didn't take anything in, how immature. We pull up to the Marcel and head for reception.

Immediately Lynsey from the hotel changes my mood. We had been given a complimentary upgrade and she promised to do whatever she could in terms of my missing luggage. Customer service that is way above and beyond and is the main reason we come back here every year.

From the doormen to the front of house staff, to the janitors to the maids, no one has anything but a smile on your face and are always asking after you. Not to put any visitors off but that doesn't always happen in Scotland.

The room was great, as always. The bed is comfortable, the shower and bath is more than adequate and nothing is too much trouble for the staff should you need anything.

There is an HSBC across the road, a Duane Reade around the corner and there are a couple of lovely little delis nearby. For great food, drinks and service, check out Banc, six blocks up on 30th and 3rd. Have the jalapeño margarita and tell them that Sam sent you.

It was with a heavy heart we left but we'll return next year, that's for sure.

Just last month for the first time, someone that I recommended the hotel to, booked it. My Dad and his wife stayed there and were equally blown away by the customer service and all round experience that they had. It was their first time in New York and so I thought I'd call the hotel and pay for a bottle of wine to be delivered to the room, I wanted them to know that we were thinking of them. I called, explaining that I'd just returned home from the hotel recently and what it was that I wanted to do.

I was told the hotel were taking no money from me and that wine would be in their room that evening for their return. How box office is that?

Kindness and gestures like that blow me away and you'll forgive me if the next review of mine you see after a New York stay is that of The Marcel at Gramercy.

Book it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor not facing Third. You'll still be able to see the Empire State...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SamMAberdeen
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you so much for your loyalty to us and for always sharing your experience on TripAdvisor!

I am very pleased to hear that your stays keep getting better and we are very proud of the consistent personalized service our team offers our guests.

I am also glad to hear that your parents enjoyed their stay as well, thank you for recommending us!

We hope we are able to welcome you back once again very soon!

Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I would give this hotel and Excellent rating, but I reserve that for grand 5 star hotels that live up to their reputation. That said, this hotel delivered more than expected for a European style boutique hotel. The decor is glamorous and contemporary. You will "feel like you're in New York." There is no restaurant, but with the incredible location and delivery options, that doesn't matter here one bit. It was my first time staying in this neighborhood, and now I prefer it to the others I have gotten to know. There is, however, a lovely guest lounge on the tenth floor with a simple help yourself breakfast and an office lounge as well. This space opens up to an amazing rooftop deck with, planters, lounge chairs and incredible views of the surrounding Cityscape, including the Empire State building. The perfect place to unwind at night with a glass of wine after a busy day in the city. Best of all, was the hotel's customer service. I have stayed in a lot of NYC hotels and I lived in Manhattan for five years, so I have a pretty good grasp on what is the "norm"...the staff at The Marcel is by far the friendliest and most accommodating of any hotel I have stayed. Especially the front desk manager, Lindsay.

Room Tip: A couple tips: the smaller rooms are small, the larger rooms are quite roomy. So opt for a room with...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for posting such a delightful review!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor!

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that we are able to welcome you back very soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 October 2013

It is a decent hotel we a good location and beautiful rooftop to enjoy the view. Nice employees that recommended a very good Italian restaurant. Rooms are small but in Manhattan nothing will be big. It had a small closet and a desk, more than enough for a few days.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
AMahonAHG, Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear flexitravel22,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts! We hope to see you again soon!
Sheffield
Reviewed 27 October 2013

It's not a place I'd have picked through choice, but we got a great deal on Hotwire for this room.

The exterior of the hotel is understated, no big hotel sign, and the lobby is retro / gauchy. One of the mirrors by the elevator was smashed when we were there

We were on the 2nd floor, right by the elevator. The street noise wasn't too bad. The bedroom was very small, no cupboard for luggage. Precious space was taken up by a rack of candy and chips for sale at a big mark up, as well as a tiny botttle of water with a $5 price tag. No mini bar. The bed was soft but comfy and the room was clean. Older flatscreen TV with cable and an iPod docking station that we couldn't get to work.

The bathroom was a decent size relative to the room, and it actually had a tub. No complaints there.

I think the rooms are of different sizes, so you could ask what is available when you check in. The higher floors are preferable if you are sensitive to street noise.

There was no restaurant or facilities like a gym or pool - although they have a deal where you can use nearby New York Sports Clubs for $10. Plenty of restaurants nearby, some with delivery options. Bagel Express, Dunkin Donuts, 7-11, liquor store, and Duane Reade all within a couple of blocks. Curry Hill, with around 25 Indian restaurants, is just a short walk up Lex.

Best thing about this hotel is the roof deck, which has a fantastic view of the Empire State Building. Shame there are no heat lamps, it would be a great place to hang out year-round if it were warmer.

I saw the breakfast - definitely not worth it, unless you want to splurge and enjoy the view. It works out around $15 with tax and there's nothing cooked.

No coffee or tea maker in the room but there is a Kirurg machine upstairs. You can make coffee and take it to your room.

They have a wine reception each evening from 5-7pm with free wine. It's a good way to meet other guests but we didn't care for the wine.

Basically this is a solid 3 star hotel, which appears to model itself on a Kimpton, but with smaller rooms. The area is a great plus - this is real New York, not the tourist hell that is Times Square. But it's a short walk or train ride to everywhere, including the East River Ferry on 34th St. A good place to stay if you're not planning on spending a lot of time in the hotel.

Room Tip: probably rooms on 25th St are quieter than those on 3rd
1 Thank Harry2837
AMahonAHG, Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Deary Harry2837,

Thank you for taking the time to post on our property! Our rooms do vary greatly in size based on the type of room booked. We agree that our location is fantastic and we love of our 10th floor lounge as well. We hope to see you again soon!