“A quiet oasis in a noisy Apple.”

The Marcel at Gramercy
Ranked #149 of 466 Hotels in New York City
New Yotrk, N.y.
“A quiet oasis in a noisy Apple.”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

If you eed a place to decompress after a full day or business or sightseeing, this is a wonderful downtown oasis. Located in the residential Gramercy/Rose Hill area, the hotel is close to excellent, affordable restaurants of all kinds. For great Diner fare, try the Lyric Diner ( 22nd and 3rd Ave. ) just a few blocks down.
At the end of the day, there is a wonderful lounge on the 10th floor with a great view of the Empire State Building, which now has lights that pulse. Do whatever you can to make sure a stop in the Lounge is part of your stay.
Also, my wife and daughter enjoyed the Continental Breakfast servied in the Lounge for $ 12+. That's a bit pricey, but I don;t know of anyplace else where you can wake up to such a view

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Richard B
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor!

We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our central location is very convenient and there are so many amazing restaurants nearby. I am also glad that you enjoyed the view from our Guest Lounge!

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Nalini Sullivan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed in a deluxe king room -- and it was truly deluxe! The location is perfect for me. Do take advantage of the car service to the airport -- the friendly doorman will arrange it for you -- and hold your luggage for me if your plane does not depart until well after check-out time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Sally C
Thank you so much for posting a review on TripAdvisor, we appreciate your kind words as well as your loyalty to us!

Our economical car service is quite convenient and glad to hear you appreciated this amenity we offer.

We hope to see you soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Overall my stay was comfortable, front of house staff were very helpful. My first room was rather noisy, but I was moved to an internal facing room which was much better. Location being in midtown near the Flatiron building was ideal. Quite close to the subway connections.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for posting your review on TripAdvisor!

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and delighted that our front office staff was accommodating to you.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Livingston, Montana
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Nice place with great customer care! Close to shopping, market, and good restaurants!! Our bellman went above and beyond to make sure our room was satisfactory!!
There was wine in the evening available and continental breakfast on the tenth floor!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Donna M
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for posting such a lovely review!

We are very proud of our team here at The Marcel and we know they strive to exceed our guests' expectations with each interaction.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome back soon!

Toronto
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Could do worse, but for the price, one could easily do better. All considered, the location was what sold us on the hotel and the staff did their best. But the furniture was grody to the max!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for posting a review of your stay! I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed our convenient location as well as our staff. I am disappointed to learn that our in room furniture was not to your standards.

Feedback like yours is extremely important as we are able to share with our team and focus on improving in these areas.

We hope you give us another try in the future!

Grimsby
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Unusually for me, I left the booking of this hotel to the travel agent as part of a flights + room package. never again.

As many others have said on here, the hotel frontage and lobby looks the part, modern exterior with a dimly lit but cool lobby / reception area and a fantastic area to chill in front of the fire next to the entrance.

We were allocated a room on the 4th floor, which, on first impressions looked nice and clean, if small!.

Thats really where the plus points tend to finish. Taking a closer look at the room we found it to be not-quite-there in terms of fit and finish. The carpet wasnt finished correctly near the door and was fraying, the desk for the TV was well worn and had some sort of felt-tip/permanent marker scrawled on it, the light switches were very hit and miss in terms of operation. The bathroom was tiny - if you wanted to sit on the toilet you had to close the bathroom door fully, plus the bath was pretty shallow.

The air conditioning unit made a frankly horrendous racket cutting in and out throughout the night, if either me or my wife were light sleepers, this would of been a major issue.

Most of these problems I can see past, however, my biggest gripe with this hotel was the safety deposit boxes located in the cupboard next to the bed. Ours wasn't even bolted into the cupboard! meaning that it would be very easy for someone to come in to the room and remove the safe in its entirety (and my valuables inside).

To get around the issue of the safety deposit box I ended up removing it from the cupboard and placing it inside my locked suitcase (which was also locked to a peice of furniture). When I questioned this with reception they informed me that all safes in the hotel are like this and doubted my ability to remove the safe on my own (it wasnt that heavy at all, I considered placing it in several comedy scenarios for posterity).

The location of the hotel is fine if you dont mind walking a couple of blocks to get places, I wasnt massively keen on the area, although Gramercy is nice if you walk a couple of blocks south, plus Madison Square park is a short walk (home of the fantastic Shake Shack and Flatiron building).

Anyway, to conclude - would I stay here again? no. Would I recommend someone to stay here? no, there are better hotels in better locations, with better rooms for the money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for posting your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor!

We appreciate you taking the time to share such a detailed review of your stay. I am very disappointed that you did not enjoy your time at The Marcel. I am sure if these challenges were mentioned during your stay we could have relieved your concerns and you would have had a more enjoyable experience.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future and if you would like to discuss your stay further please feel free to contact me at nsullivan@amsterdamhospitality.com.

Thank you!

Albany, NY
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Nothing exciting.
Room was small but all we needed. Street noise but they offered a set of ear plugs. Lots of issues with lights- you need to put in your room key to get them on, great energy saving, but then to turn some on or off, lots of pushing levers and hoping for the best.
Nice rooftop views, but...Holes in headboard, carpet didn't meet in spots. Seemed to be fancier than it could keep up to be. But clean, and only a few blocks from where I needed to be.
One issue, at 5 am when I went out for a run, seemed to have folks asleep in the lobby. Not sure what that was about, they were gone when I returned and not there the next day when I went out that early again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

I am disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations in some areas and will be sure to address the concerns you have mentioned.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future, if you would like to discuss your stay further please contact me at nsullivan@amsterdamhospitality.com

Thanks again!