“Great Location”

Ranked #152 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Illinois
“Great Location”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Was very clean, staff friendly and helpful especially when you are checking in late and are very tired. The rooms are smaller than they appear in the photos. However, the beds are very comfy. Bad thing is that the wi-fi is not free and there is a fridge already in the room but is full of items for pay and unable to put anything in there of your own. Bathroom has modern fixtures. I was quite pleased with the motel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank OBXKate
MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your loyalty to us and for taking the time to post your experience on TripAdvisor!

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Nalini Sullivan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My first time in New York so wasn't sure what to expect from its hotels. I went with this one based on a deal I got and the reviews on Tripadvisor. I wasn't disappointed.

My room was small but perfect for a solo traveller (would probably have suited a couple if they weren't spending a huge amount of time in the hotel) and had a view of the Empire State, which was a lovely surprise. The room had all the basics, and a nice shower. There is a great lounge area upstairs on the 10th floor with amazing views, wifi access and coffee. There are even lounge chairs if you fancy a bit of relaxing or sunbathing.

The staff were all great, particularly the girl at the reception desk (never got her name) who was very helpful and receptive despite my asking her the same questions again and again (I was very tired after taking the train from Boston).

The area was perfect for me. Quiet enough, but with some nice bars in the immediate vicinity and just two or three blocks walk to the subway.

Room Tip: It might be worth asking for a room with a view (if that's your thing).
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I were visiting our son in Manhattan. The location was perfect. The street was quiet. The staff was friendly but not in our faces. The room was clean. Worth the price. My only complaint was no free internet.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor!

We appreciate your feedback and we hope to see you again soon!

Ramsey, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I've stayed at the Marcel three times now - each for business - and each time I've been quite pleased. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are tiny but lovely and efficient.

Given the prices for most hotels in the city I highly recommend The Marcel - a great value!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope we are able to see you again soon!

Albany
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The hotel is a good hotel to stay in for business. When my aunt who lives in New York, stated that I had a very nice room. She also stated this hotel was located in a very good area of New York. When I come to New York again I would like to stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you so much for posting your review on TripAdvisor!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that we are able to welcome you back again soon!

boston
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Marcel is a great choice and very clean and comfortable. The service was excellent. We were offered a free upgrade upon check in and found the location to be excellent. The hotel has a roof top outside sitting area.

Room Tip: large king bedroom was excellent
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your five star rating on TripAdvisor!

We are thrilled to learn you had a great stay and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience!

We hope to see you again soon!

La Verne
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The rooms were super tiny which I guess is expected in NYC. This was my first time there, so I was surprised at the tight quarters I stayed in for 3 days. The floors (in rooms and all hallways) in this hotel squeak and the walls are super thin, making the complimentary earplugs necessary. For $200+/night, I expected more from the room. The staff was great though.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MarcelGM, General Manager at The Marcel at Gramercy, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you so much for posting a review on TripAdvisor!

I am very pleased to learn that our staff was accommodating to you during your stay. I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations, please accept my sincere apology for this.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future, please fee free to co ntact me direct upon your next visit o NYC at nsullivan@marcelhotelnyc.com

Thanks again!