The Marcel at Gramercy
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$206
  • Fitness centre
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$310
US$239
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$207
US$170
US$473
US$401
SmithHotels.com
  • Restaurant
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$300
US$240
  • Bar/Lounge
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$289
US$261
US$516
US$412
  • Room Service
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$219
US$187
  • Fitness centre
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$384
US$207
Official Site
  • Room Service
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$294
US$112
  • Breakfast included
3,488 results
All reviewsguest loungefloor loungenew yorktenth floorthe empire state buildingroof terracemadison square parkboutique hotelfree coffeebigger roomrooms are smallcontinental breakfaststreet noisean upgradecorner roomaround the cornerlocation was perfect
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 June 2009

I stayed at the Marcel in mid-June for 3 nights with my two daughters - both in their 20's. We had to make a choice between the Marcel and the Rogers Smith, both of which I received a great deal on. Seeing how "hip" the Marcel seemed to be, I chose it because I thought my girls would enjoy it. I was right - to say we all loved the Marcel and the room we were given is an understatement. We had checked in early from a very early flight. Needless to say the room was not ready but I had asked Ursula (manager at the front desk) for as large a double double as possible for 3 people - she ended up giving us Room 814 (not much of a view, but everything else about it was excellent) - definitely the largest room of that type with lots of space, ample storage (could have been a bit more for 3 people), beautiful linens and comfortable beds. Nice bathroom - small square sink was not the most practical, although stylish - however, there were 3 big shelves against the wall - more storage space than I have seen in most other hotels. Although a couple of prior reviews had said something about half the double shower door not closing properly, give it a good tug - it closes just fine and there is no water on the floor.
In terms of the room sizes, there is actually a floor layout with room sizes posted on the door. There are known to be some tiny rooms here - if that matters to you I would definitely pay a bit more and book a Deluxe King or Deluxe Double Double (rather than a standard). At least you should be assured of receiving a decent size room (where you don't have to leave it to change your mind, as one reviewer noted).

Service - when I returned home to Ottawa I received a message from Ursula at 3 pm on the first day we had arrived (she must have thought she was calling my cell phone) letting me know the room was ready - I had never requested that she call. Also, we needed more towels as we were three people. A few minutes after my call, there was a knock on the door with a bellboy carrying a huge number of towels, 2 more glasses and a huge plastic bag of bath products. I couldn't believe it. Not to mention the excellent service by the bellboys and the front desk during our entire 4 day stay. You can't ask for much better than that.

Lounge and terrace- its already been said but I can tell you the pictures you see here do not do them justice. The lounge is beautiful as is the terrace - many lounge chairs on the terrace as well as tables and chairs. The two free computers and printer was a plus for us as well, and I took advantage of the free coffee, especially at breakfast time. Unfortunately, there is no longer any wine and cheese which has recently stopped and which I was looking forward to my first day there as we had actually gone back to the hotel at 6 pm (the time they used to have it). I wonder if this is due in part to the addition of the restaurant and bar on the ground level called Inoteca - we didn't end up eating there but did check it out and it looked very nice (and busy!) - open to the wee hours apparently.

I believe we paid $500 US for 3 nights for 3 people and that is a fantastic rate for New York - especially in a hotel as beautiful and hip as this one. Yes, there are gold and black leather sofas in the lobby - if this is not your style, maybe this place isn't for you. If it is, you can't go wrong. The location is close to SOHO and not far from everything else either. 5th Ave. in that part of town is also very nice and after always having stayed in the Times Square area I can honestly say that I prefer this part of town. This is the posh Gramercy area which is absolutely beautiful. Services and food (Lyric Diner down the street for breakfast) are less expensive and very plentiful. I would also recommend Posto for excellent pizza and salads where we waited to get in at 10pm on a rainy Saturday evening, but was well worth it.

I have a list of friends who are now considering the Marcel for their upcoming visits to New York and I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. I did e-mail someone through Trip Advisor before we left and her answers to my questions were extremely helpful in making my decision to stay here. If I can be of any help, please feel free to e-mail me.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank ChilliinOttawa
Reviewed 30 June 2009

I stayed at The Marcel at Gramercy for 5 nights and overall I was very happy with the stay. The bed was great, it was a King and was extremely comfortable (pillow top). The room and hotel are very trendy looking. The bathroom was very nice - the shower has two nozzels and the pressure was great. The location is excellent with lots of reasturants within walking distance. The negatives I found were that I could hear the traffic below (I was on the 9th floor) but I guess that is NY for you. I called and asked for a recommendation of a Chinese Restarant and they said they would bring up some menus. After 45 minutes they finally brought them up (after two calls from me) and they gave me 5 copies of the same menu. The food was fine though. I called on my last night because I could not find the remote to the TV and they said they would send someone up and no one ever came. Other than that, I definitly plan on staying here again because you can not beat the price and the comfort level.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank andrewcohen44
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We stayed a few nights at the Marcel in March. I had been deciding between it and the Bentley and randomly settled on the Marcel.

We were supposed to have come in from DC the day before but the snowstorm cancelled the buses and trains so we could only travel up to NY the next day. I contacted the Marcel with the hope that I did not have to pay for the first night, and was attended to by a front desk staff, Urszula, who was particularly helpful and polite. Eventually everything got sorted thanks to her help and we checked in the following day, albeit rather early, as we got on the first bus out of DC (5am), reaching the Marcel wayyy before check in time! Our room wasn't ready yet, so we chilled out (quite literally!) at the deck on the top floor which offers views of the skyline and the Empire State Building. There were two bellboys who were extremely helpful -- one was a Korean/Russian named Alex, and the other was a Hispanic man whose name I forgot. They were very attentive and friendly.

The room was clean, and its size was what you'd expect from similar hotels in New York. I had stayed in the East Houston Hotel last year and both of them are comparable. We didn't stay in the room much (of course!), but the rooms were fine for a good rest after a long day of walking and sightseeing. There isn't free Wifi in the rooms, but there are two computer terminals in the top floor where you can surf the internet and print out your flight reservations, tickets, anything for free. I found this very useful and I had to book a car reservation for our next destination and was able to check in for my flight and print out my boarding pass.

We didn't have breakfast in the hotel so I can't talk much about it. But the spread wasn't too extensive with the usual stuff and juice and if you're not a big eater it should be fine.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fuzzy0duck
Reviewed 18 June 2009

My friend and I stayed for 3 nights, June 11 to 14, and we loved it! Cool decor, clean, centrally located. The room was way bigger than we thought it would be, given the previous reviews. We were two girls with thousands of shoes and outfits to choose from so the extra space was greatly appreciated! We were on the 6th floor, it was pretty quiet, slept in no problem. The nearest train was a few blocks away which we didn't mind at all, gave you time to get a Starbucks on the way.

Centrally located between Times Square and Central Park on the one side and the Village on the other.

We got a deal directly on the hotel's website, $125 a night I believe.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank juankwinter
Reviewed 16 June 2009

Based on the reviews here, I was concerned coming in at midnight. With my flight delayed by 3 hours, we checked in at 3am. Perhaps a tip from a reviewer here helped me, 'coz I called ahead and asked them to reserve a king-bed room for me; which they had. Not sure if they did this, or they were just not that full so they just gave me whatever room they had.

In any case, the room was excellent. The size is smallish by US standards, but large by NY standards. Good, comfortable bed, with good bath products made the stay enjoyable. Lastly, the location is superb. Went to the steakhouse, Indian places nearby and enjoyed being close to everything.

Be aware, we heard street noise on the 9th floor. This really cannot be avoided. Just bring ear-plugs.

I would stay here again, if I have to stay again in NYC.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family