“Home Comforts & Excellent location”
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #132 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I had to organise a week-long business trip with very little notice. The rates for an Executive King Suite at this hotel within walking distance of my offices were very competitive. In fact, they were cheaper than those of nearby Holiday Inns and other chain hotels in the neighborhood. I was expecting therefore to have to settle with perhaps dated bathrooms or noisy streets or something. I was very relieved to find that the room was not only modern and quiet, but massive! I had a huge bedroom, very spacious living room with desk and extra HD TV, entrance hall, dressing area, and a huge bathroom with separate shower to the jacuzzi bath. The bed was ever so comfy and soft. There was also a safe in one of the closets. The staff at the front desk was very pleasant and eager to help my stay in the city be a pleasant one. They even helped me obtain difficult to get metro maps, information on their neighborhoods, tips of what to avoid, etc.. Very helpful! On the Saturday morning I decided to have breakfast in the hotel as there was plenty of options; continental, but very plentiful. I shall be back!

Room Tip: My room faced 32nd St but it was not noisy. I had room 804 which was also away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear ClauClau82,

We enjoyed hearing about your stay at the Avalon, and are so glad that
it was a great one. Thank you very much for sharing with us how much
you enjoyed all of the features of your room during your visit and
thank you for choosing us. If you plan to return to New York, please
contact my office directly as I would like to extend a complimentary
upgrade to provide you with another wonderful stay.

Michael Rawson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,669)

Reviewed 19 July 2012

We looked at the other reviews before booking this hotel and it was a last minute scramble. We stayed 5 nights. Room was clean, and we loved the sitting area. There were two of us plus our two teenage boys and surprisingly, we weren't tripping over each other. Boys loved the free wi-fi.

Some of the things could do with fixing: bathroom taps, shower head, and the water pressure was quite low.

There is no coffee or tea in the room, like the other reviews mentioned which we thought would not be a big deal but it is; on some days I could have done with some caffeine in the morning.
The staff was friendly and helpful. The parking facilities were fabulous.

Beds were very comfortable and we slept like logs.

Location is great, especially since we are not morning people, it was nice to be central and convenient, close to attractions, restaurant, for us Canadians there was a Timmy's just a five minute walk away.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Dear Shehnaaz,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about
your stay at the Avalon. We are delighted to hear that you and your
family enjoyed the room and the Avalon's location, and will look into
the bathroom concerns that you mentioned. Please contact my office
directly if you visit New York again, as I would like to extend to you
a complimentary upgrade to thank you for choosing the Avalon.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

I recently stayed at the Avalon Hotel for one night after a last minute scramble to find a place due to the horrible conditions of a previously booked hotel.

The staff was great. My business partners and I called and were over in 10 mins. They upgraded two of us and were very kind and accommodating. The rooms were nice and clean. The wi-fi was good and free.

One thing to note is that the street is more on the quiet side for NYC, which is good but there are not many taxis on that road. The bell hop had to take us down to the corner to help us find a cab.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear geromer,

We really appreciate that you chose the Avalon for your visit, and are
very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for letting
us know about your experience—we are glad that you had such a good
experience with the staff and were happy with your rooms. Please
contact my office directly if you plan to return to New York so that I
can offer you a complimentary upgrade as thanks for being such a loyal
customer.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

The main reason for us to chose this hotel was the wooden floors, that gives a fresh feeling. The room was very big and clean, but had some small problems, for example a cabinet door hanging askew.
Our room had a view of a backyard, but some city views as well. No noise from the street, but the AC that was needed was a bit to noisy for us who arn't used to it.

The staff in the reception and the door was very helpful and helped us, for example, to get last minute tickets to the Stanley Cup Playoff.

Great location near subway and lots of sights. Also many good restaurants close to the hotel (not only Korean/Asian).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Malin_84
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Dear Malin_84,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your stay at the Avalon.
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your room and are so glad that you were able to see all of the sights of New York, including the Stanley Cup Playoffs. We’d very much like to have you again, so please contact my office directly if you decide to return to New York so that I can provide you with a complimentary upgrade to make your next stay even better.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

This hotel has been revampt with bigger rooms!!! The 3 of us had a large room with 2 queen beds and 2 tv's. Even had a small refridgerater to keep items cool. The bathroom was large and had nice towels. Few drawbacks, my other half got stuck in the elevator one morning when he was out for coffee! Unfortunately the complimentary coffee isnt available until 11am! I was ready for lunch by then! But overall it was a nice 3 night stay, and the staff was friendly as well. We would return because we also loved the midtown location!

Room Tip: Bring a coffee pot!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Dear nuttyreba,

Thank you very much for telling us about your experience at the Avalon, and helping us to improve our service. We are truly sorry for the issues you experienced with the elevator during your stay, and apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused. However, thank you very much for bringing this to our attention; we have let our service providers, who provide regularly scheduled maintenance of the elevators, know about your experience and have requested a complete and thorough analysis of what caused this incident. We are sorry that you did not have a typical stay at the Avalon, and hope that we can make it up to you upon your next visit to New York. Please contact my office directly if you plan to return, as I would like to provide you with a complimentary upgrade and handle your arrangements personally.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We arrived in NYC in the am, and went to the hotel. We were able to check our bags and were told to check back at two and see if our room was ready. We explored the city and got back to the hotel around 4pm. We were told that our room had not been checked out to verify it was clean enough, so we had to wait until that happened even though check in is at 3pm and we were an hour later than that. We went to the room and while it may have been nice at one time it was in poor repair. There was a big scrape on one wall, all of the baseboards and trim were covered with black scuffmarks and I found a bobby pin and an adhesive size strip left by the previous occupants. I went to the front desk and asked for a manager. I was told there was no manager there on that Saturday, as they called out sick. They offered to upgrade my room, but I needed two beds and the upgraded room only had one. I decided I would just speak to the manager the next day. As I was getting ready to go out for the evening, I noticed mid shower that the light above the shower was not only covered in corroded metal, but the ceiling around it was moldy. It was too late to find other arrangements, so I just figured Management would deal with it tomorrow. The next day, as I was checking out, I spoke with a manager. He was very aloof and quite rude to me. I told him about everything that happened and he did not seem to think it was enough of a problem to offer me any sort of discount/refund. I showed him the state of the room and while his voice said he cared, his actions said he did not. I left there very upset that I had paid full price for a room with so many issues in a hotel that is, quite frankly, not in the best neighborhood. I have stayed at nicer hotels, in better areas than this one in NYC recently, and am extremely sorry I tried this one.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank gabing
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Dear gabing,

Thank you for the lengthy review you posted to TripAdvisor about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. I regret I did not meet you as your comments and pictures led to a number of changes.

The Avalon Hotel changed ownership early last year and I joined the team in April. We have made a few personnel changes, mostly additions, in order to address shortcomings. We are also upgrading and replacing furnishings and amenities, in order to deliver was is expected of a boutique hotel. One guest who was here a year ago came into the hotel and immediately noticed that we had polished the marble floors. All cotton sheets and towels are now in place as well as Aveda bath products.

Should your plans include a return trip to Manhattan, I hope you will consider contacting me as I would like to personally oversee your accommodations.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Stayed in Avalon due to reviews it received here. Brilliant location and extremely quiet. Would definitely recommend staying here, there were 4 of us (2 adults 2 children 9 & 12) and our room was big considering it was NY. The only negative I have to say would be the rooms need a little t.l.c!! Furniture old fashioned, nice if that is your taste but not ours. Staff really helpful.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear MaxMum21,

We really appreciate that you chose the Avalon for your visit, and are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you very much for sharing with us how much you enjoyed your room and your experience with the staff. We are delighted that you enjoyed our location, and hope that it allowed you to explore New York! Please contact my office directly if you decide to return to New York, so that I can provide you with a complimentary upgrade to make your next stay even better.