“Perfect location and value for money”
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #133 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Perfect location and value for money”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Travelled to New York in February with my girlfriend. After reading some of the reviews on here I was a bit concerned, however I can honestly say that we had a brilliant experience!

The hotel is perfectly placed for plenty in sightseeing and is a short enough walk from Penn Station to make it accessible easily from JFK. The price was a bargain too and although we didn't really use any of the facilities at the hotel we found it good value for us.

Found the staff to be polite when we asked them anything too not rude as some people seem to have found. The rooms and hotel itself did feel "tired" but I felt it just added to the character of the place and did not find it to be too much of an issue. If you want the Ritz you have to pay Ritz prices!!

Overall I would recommend the hotel to anyone travelling to New York for a short break and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear Dave L,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about
your stay at the Avalon. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our location
and hope that we’ll be able to welcome you again soon! If you plan to
return to New York, please contact my office directly as I would like
to extend a
complimentary upgrade to provide you with another wonderful stay.

Michael Rawson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 22 July 2012

The location of the Avalon is perfect. - easy access to JFK and close to major attractions such as the Empire State building, Madison Square Gardens and shops. I found the staff to be polite and not forthcoming with help. When I arrived at almost midnight with all my luggage and after 5 hours of flying, I had to manoevre myself through the revolving door without help while the security man stood looking at me about 5m away. I booked a junior suite and was very disappointed - furniture and curtains needs a revamp. The bathroom had no walk in shower - they upgraded me to a deluxe suite at an extra $25 per night. With the upgrade I expected to have the benefit of a gown and slippers. The furniture and feel of the room was the same - it certainly needs a revamp. Being in a quiet neighborhood of New York, you are guaranteed a good nights rest. The king size bed was excellent. A central carpet in the middle of the room or on either side of the bed would be great especially when you get off the bed in the morning rather than stepping on the wooden strip floors. Shower heads and water pressure needs attention. Breakfast - very good continental only. I would give this hotel a 3 or 3.5 star rating not 4.

Room Tip: Ask lots of questions based on your needs before confirming your booking.
2 Thank Maliga
Dear Maliga,

I’d like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments
regarding your stay at the Avalon. We value your feedback and are very
sorry that your visit was not what you had hoped for, or one that
would live up to our expectations of what a stay at the Avalon
deserves. We apologize for your experience with the staff and the
shower, and hope that we can make it up to you next time. Please
contact my office directly if you visit New York again, as I would
like to extend to you a complimentary upgrade.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I had to organise a week-long business trip with very little notice. The rates for an Executive King Suite at this hotel within walking distance of my offices were very competitive. In fact, they were cheaper than those of nearby Holiday Inns and other chain hotels in the neighborhood. I was expecting therefore to have to settle with perhaps dated bathrooms or noisy streets or something. I was very relieved to find that the room was not only modern and quiet, but massive! I had a huge bedroom, very spacious living room with desk and extra HD TV, entrance hall, dressing area, and a huge bathroom with separate shower to the jacuzzi bath. The bed was ever so comfy and soft. There was also a safe in one of the closets. The staff at the front desk was very pleasant and eager to help my stay in the city be a pleasant one. They even helped me obtain difficult to get metro maps, information on their neighborhoods, tips of what to avoid, etc.. Very helpful! On the Saturday morning I decided to have breakfast in the hotel as there was plenty of options; continental, but very plentiful. I shall be back!

Room Tip: My room faced 32nd St but it was not noisy. I had room 804 which was also away from the elevator.
Dear ClauClau82,

We enjoyed hearing about your stay at the Avalon, and are so glad that
it was a great one. Thank you very much for sharing with us how much
you enjoyed all of the features of your room during your visit and
thank you for choosing us. If you plan to return to New York, please
contact my office directly as I would like to extend a complimentary
upgrade to provide you with another wonderful stay.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We looked at the other reviews before booking this hotel and it was a last minute scramble. We stayed 5 nights. Room was clean, and we loved the sitting area. There were two of us plus our two teenage boys and surprisingly, we weren't tripping over each other. Boys loved the free wi-fi.

Some of the things could do with fixing: bathroom taps, shower head, and the water pressure was quite low.

There is no coffee or tea in the room, like the other reviews mentioned which we thought would not be a big deal but it is; on some days I could have done with some caffeine in the morning.
The staff was friendly and helpful. The parking facilities were fabulous.

Beds were very comfortable and we slept like logs.

Location is great, especially since we are not morning people, it was nice to be central and convenient, close to attractions, restaurant, for us Canadians there was a Timmy's just a five minute walk away.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Dear Shehnaaz,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about
your stay at the Avalon. We are delighted to hear that you and your
family enjoyed the room and the Avalon's location, and will look into
the bathroom concerns that you mentioned. Please contact my office
directly if you visit New York again, as I would like to extend to you
a complimentary upgrade to thank you for choosing the Avalon.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I recently stayed at the Avalon Hotel for one night after a last minute scramble to find a place due to the horrible conditions of a previously booked hotel.

The staff was great. My business partners and I called and were over in 10 mins. They upgraded two of us and were very kind and accommodating. The rooms were nice and clean. The wi-fi was good and free.

One thing to note is that the street is more on the quiet side for NYC, which is good but there are not many taxis on that road. The bell hop had to take us down to the corner to help us find a cab.

Dear geromer,

We really appreciate that you chose the Avalon for your visit, and are
very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for letting
us know about your experience—we are glad that you had such a good
experience with the staff and were happy with your rooms. Please
contact my office directly if you plan to return to New York so that I
can offer you a complimentary upgrade as thanks for being such a loyal
customer.

Sweden
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The main reason for us to chose this hotel was the wooden floors, that gives a fresh feeling. The room was very big and clean, but had some small problems, for example a cabinet door hanging askew.
Our room had a view of a backyard, but some city views as well. No noise from the street, but the AC that was needed was a bit to noisy for us who arn't used to it.

The staff in the reception and the door was very helpful and helped us, for example, to get last minute tickets to the Stanley Cup Playoff.

Great location near subway and lots of sights. Also many good restaurants close to the hotel (not only Korean/Asian).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Malin_84
, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear Malin_84,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your stay at the Avalon.
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your room and are so glad that you were able to see all of the sights of New York, including the Stanley Cup Playoffs. We’d very much like to have you again, so please contact my office directly if you decide to return to New York so that I can provide you with a complimentary upgrade to make your next stay even better.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This hotel has been revampt with bigger rooms!!! The 3 of us had a large room with 2 queen beds and 2 tv's. Even had a small refridgerater to keep items cool. The bathroom was large and had nice towels. Few drawbacks, my other half got stuck in the elevator one morning when he was out for coffee! Unfortunately the complimentary coffee isnt available until 11am! I was ready for lunch by then! But overall it was a nice 3 night stay, and the staff was friendly as well. We would return because we also loved the midtown location!

Room Tip: Bring a coffee pot!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Dear nuttyreba,

Thank you very much for telling us about your experience at the Avalon, and helping us to improve our service. We are truly sorry for the issues you experienced with the elevator during your stay, and apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused. However, thank you very much for bringing this to our attention; we have let our service providers, who provide regularly scheduled maintenance of the elevators, know about your experience and have requested a complete and thorough analysis of what caused this incident. We are sorry that you did not have a typical stay at the Avalon, and hope that we can make it up to you upon your next visit to New York. Please contact my office directly if you plan to return, as I would like to provide you with a complimentary upgrade and handle your arrangements personally.