“average hotel, good location”
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #136 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 4 August 2012

the location was good, the room was spacey, the bathroom was quite big.

my only complaint is that my room was very very dark and looking at backside of the buildings - not really the first thing i want to see in the morning, but then this was business trip.

apart from this there was nothing special about this hotel, but then many hotels in this area are rather generic and with not much personality.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jelenaeva
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Dear jelenaeva,

We very much appreciate your feedback on your stay at the Avalon, and are sorry that your visit was not what you had hoped for. We’d love the chance to have you again, and to thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience, I would like to provide you with a complimentary upgrade. If you return to New York, please contact my office directly so that I can handle your arrangements personally.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

When we arrived at the hotel, we were surprised to find that the hotel restaurant had been closed "recently" due to anticipated renovations and there was also no room service. When we got to our room, it was totally unacceptable--closet sliding door off its track and ready to fall off, furniture upholstery that was dirty, one washcloth in bath, etc. we called the desk and told them we would not be staying the second night because we were dissatisfied. When we checked out the next morning, they insisted that we pay for both nights because we hadn't cancelled 48 hours in advance. Of course we didn't know 48 hours in advance that the hotel would have no restaurant and no room service, and that the room would be unattractive and dumpy. This experience places a big question mark on all TripAdvisor recommendations since this hotel had a Trip Advisor Excellence Award for 2012!

Stayed: August 2012
5  Thank Gayle1945
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Dear Gayle1945,

My sincerest apology for the delay in getting back to you. I was reviewing all of my replies and just now see that your post did not get a response. By no means was I trying to avoid a difficult situation as it is important for me to respond to all comments.

Your posting has had a significant impact on our business and I also see this is your only review. We would have to fail you at every level to receive such low ratings.

You were very disappointed and should not have left the Avalon this way. We let you down and I would like the opportunity to correct this if possible. If your plans include a return trip to New York, I hope you will contact me directly so I can attempt to make up for this past visit.

Reviewed 1 August 2012

Checked in Avalon in july 2012 with my wife and 2 kids ( 4 and a half and 2 years old )
Yes it is true as many have mentioned in trip advisor that the location is perfect and the rooms are large to a New york City hotel , but the best thing for us in this hotel was the warm home welcome and help of Miss Carolina perez and the lovely smile and welcome of Miss Aylin gonzalez , thank you both you made us feel home.
We will definitely stay in avalon next time we visit and hope to c u again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sami M
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear Sami M,

We enjoyed hearing about your stay at the Avalon, and are so glad that
it was a great one. Thank you very much for sharing with us how much
you enjoyed your experience with the staff-- we will absolutely let
them know that they made your visit special. We’d very much like to
have you again, so please contact my office directly if you decide to
return to New York so that I can provide you with a complimentary
upgrade to make your next stay even better.

Reviewed 25 July 2012

In the city on vacation, the Avalon was a great location about 1.5 blocks from the Empire State Building. Our king room with sofabed was clean and spaceous for NYC (plenty of room for family of 3). Staff was also helpful with recommendations nearby. No view to speak of. Breakfast was a little pricey at the hotel, but there was a nice bakery a few doors down. You can tell the hotel used to be more upscale. The bathroom and other more permanent fixtures are higher end. The recent additions (laminate "wood" floors and lamiate furniture) are lower end. The bed was very comfortable and the room and bathroom were clean. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank KnxTNTraveler

Dear KnxTNTraveler,

Thank you so much for telling us about your stay at the Avalon-- it's
always wonderful to hear about such a great experience. We are
delighted that you enjoyed the location of the hotel, and we hope that
as a result, had the chance to see all of New York's best sights.
Please contact my office directly if you plan to return to New York,
as I would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

Travelled to New York in February with my girlfriend. After reading some of the reviews on here I was a bit concerned, however I can honestly say that we had a brilliant experience!

The hotel is perfectly placed for plenty in sightseeing and is a short enough walk from Penn Station to make it accessible easily from JFK. The price was a bargain too and although we didn't really use any of the facilities at the hotel we found it good value for us.

Found the staff to be polite when we asked them anything too not rude as some people seem to have found. The rooms and hotel itself did feel "tired" but I felt it just added to the character of the place and did not find it to be too much of an issue. If you want the Ritz you have to pay Ritz prices!!

Overall I would recommend the hotel to anyone travelling to New York for a short break and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Dave L,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about
your stay at the Avalon. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our location
and hope that we’ll be able to welcome you again soon! If you plan to
return to New York, please contact my office directly as I would like
to extend a
complimentary upgrade to provide you with another wonderful stay.

Reviewed 22 July 2012

The location of the Avalon is perfect. - easy access to JFK and close to major attractions such as the Empire State building, Madison Square Gardens and shops. I found the staff to be polite and not forthcoming with help. When I arrived at almost midnight with all my luggage and after 5 hours of flying, I had to manoevre myself through the revolving door without help while the security man stood looking at me about 5m away. I booked a junior suite and was very disappointed - furniture and curtains needs a revamp. The bathroom had no walk in shower - they upgraded me to a deluxe suite at an extra $25 per night. With the upgrade I expected to have the benefit of a gown and slippers. The furniture and feel of the room was the same - it certainly needs a revamp. Being in a quiet neighborhood of New York, you are guaranteed a good nights rest. The king size bed was excellent. A central carpet in the middle of the room or on either side of the bed would be great especially when you get off the bed in the morning rather than stepping on the wooden strip floors. Shower heads and water pressure needs attention. Breakfast - very good continental only. I would give this hotel a 3 or 3.5 star rating not 4.

Room Tip: Ask lots of questions based on your needs before confirming your booking.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Maliga

Dear Maliga,

I’d like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments
regarding your stay at the Avalon. We value your feedback and are very
sorry that your visit was not what you had hoped for, or one that
would live up to our expectations of what a stay at the Avalon
deserves. We apologize for your experience with the staff and the
shower, and hope that we can make it up to you next time. Please
contact my office directly if you visit New York again, as I would
like to extend to you a complimentary upgrade.

Reviewed 21 July 2012

I had to organise a week-long business trip with very little notice. The rates for an Executive King Suite at this hotel within walking distance of my offices were very competitive. In fact, they were cheaper than those of nearby Holiday Inns and other chain hotels in the neighborhood. I was expecting therefore to have to settle with perhaps dated bathrooms or noisy streets or something. I was very relieved to find that the room was not only modern and quiet, but massive! I had a huge bedroom, very spacious living room with desk and extra HD TV, entrance hall, dressing area, and a huge bathroom with separate shower to the jacuzzi bath. The bed was ever so comfy and soft. There was also a safe in one of the closets. The staff at the front desk was very pleasant and eager to help my stay in the city be a pleasant one. They even helped me obtain difficult to get metro maps, information on their neighborhoods, tips of what to avoid, etc.. Very helpful! On the Saturday morning I decided to have breakfast in the hotel as there was plenty of options; continental, but very plentiful. I shall be back!

Room Tip: My room faced 32nd St but it was not noisy. I had room 804 which was also away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear ClauClau82,

We enjoyed hearing about your stay at the Avalon, and are so glad that
it was a great one. Thank you very much for sharing with us how much
you enjoyed all of the features of your room during your visit and
thank you for choosing us. If you plan to return to New York, please
contact my office directly as I would like to extend a complimentary
upgrade to provide you with another wonderful stay.