“An Oasis in the Heart of New York City”
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #131 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Telluride, CO
“An Oasis in the Heart of New York City”
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Aaaah. A tranquil Oasis in the heart of the hustle and bustle of New York City. After travelling to New York for pleasure and business for over a decade now, I have never stayed in such a fine gem of a hotel such as the Avalon. Being a travel critic myself, my criteria for a pleasant stay in any hotel can be quite demanding. The Avalon, however met all of my criteria and beyond for what I deem to be the perfect stay in New York. We had a double Queen Suite, which was unusually spacious (450sf) for a New York hotel room. We had a separate “living” area with an additional flat screen TV and a couch which turned into an additional bed. The hard wood floors, marble bathroom (which was also very spacious) and comfortable beds added to the luxury and comfort we felt during our stay. The room was immaculately clean and we even had our own tea and coffee nook complete with kettle and fridge for our use. Our room was also extremely quiet…even though we at times opened the windows to get some fresh air (another lovely trait, being able to open the windows, that other New York hotels rarely offer). Indeed, I have never stayed in such a quiet hotel for New York City. The staff from the Bellman, to the front desk to the Manager of the Avalon were all very professional, calling us by name throughout our stay and taking care of all of our needs. The Wi-Fi worked great in our room, and the Avalon also offered a complementary business room where one could use their computers to go on-line and use their printer, all at no additional charge. Although we were too busy to take advantage of their gourmet continental breakfast, it looked scrumptious. The price was also fantastic, considering an equivalent size suite at somewhere like the Waldorf, the W, or other luxury hotels would have been four times (or more!) as much. The location was also perfect. Conveniently situated in the heart of Manhattan, just steps away from the Empire State Building and a couple of blocks from Macy’s and Penn Station, it was easy to catch a cab to up-town or down-town to visit our favourite restaurants throughout our stay. It is also not far from the Theater district where we saw the Broadway Hit ONCE on this stay. The only downside for pet lovers is that it is not pet friendly. On the flip side, as I do not travel to New York with my dogs, I am making the Avalon from now on my “home away from home”, as that is truly the feeling one gets when staying there.

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor, so cannot speak for the quietness of the floors below us, however the hot...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank FIDO_MOM
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Dear Fido_Mom,

Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor about the Avalon Hotel New York
On behalf of my colleagues, I send a collective "grazie mille" for the extensive and laudatory review. You hit all the highlights and we appreciate your pointing out so many nearby attractions.
We all enjoyed having you with us and am very happy it went so well. I will look forward to hearing from you when you are planning your return trip to New York, as we are glad you are making the Avalon your "home away from home".

Warm regards,

Michael Rawson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Clonmel, Ireland
Reviewed 16 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Avalon a few years ago. We travelled from Ireland to spend 10 nights in New York. We booked a junior suite and found it very comfortable and spacious for a city location.
We did not realise our stay did not include breakfast. The first morning we went for breakfast we just happened to say we were staying 10 nights and we were promptly handed 10 breakfast vouchers from a member of staff.We were so impressed with this gesture and the breakfast was superb every morning.
The hotel is so central the staff very efficient and friendly and the room very well maintained during our stay. A real little gem.
We would definetly stay here again and delighted to see its being refurbished.
Did not find any fault with the Avalon and delighted we stayed here

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear Helen J,

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. We were very fortunate to have you as our guest here at the Avalon Hotel New York.
I am glad you enjoyed so many things while you were here and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back..
Should your future plans include a return trip to New York, please feel free to contact me directly so I can make sure we provide the same accommodations!

Best regards,

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Hotel was in the best location! Round the block from the empire state building, 5-10 min walk to Macys and Times Square... stayed there for New years eve.. hotel was cleaned every day – no bed bugs at all... staff were friendly and helpful.. our heating stopped working, so they came and gave us an electric one to keep in our room for the rest of the duration of our stay. Cant complain on anything. Was a very pleasant stay and nice and clean!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Dear jigz_t,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about the Avalon Hotel New York. We are glad you stayed with us to ring in the New Year, and appreciate your comments about the hotel, especially about our location.

My apologies to you regarding the inconvenience you endured over the heating. This shouldnt happen and you were very understanding regarding the situation.

Should your future plans include a return trip to New York, we hope you will consider staying with us again.. Please feel free to contact me directly as it would be a pleasure to personally oversee your accomodations.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 12 February 2013

We stayed at the Avalon Hotel January 29th-February 3rd. My boyfriend and I stayed in the Junior 2 queen suite and we were pleasantly surprised by the size of it. We necessarily didn't need the second bed but we used it anyway. The location was perfect and check in took less than 3 minutes. The only gripes I have about the hotel was the shower head and the floor we stayed on. On one travel website they listed this hotel as a non smoking hotel but the floor we stayed on was a smoking floor. I have bad allergies and asthma but it didn't really bother me much until the end of our trip and that awful shower head felt like the water was piercing my skin so I used the tub for the rest of my vacation. Overall, (if the price is right) we will stay here again. I enjoyed my time in New York and at the Avalon Hotel.

Room Tip: If you have allergies or asthma like I do, make sure you ask for a non smoking room.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lateefah D
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Dear Lateefah D,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I am really happy you enjoyed the spacious junior suite but regret we did not get you into a non-smoking room. Of our 100 rooms and 90 are non-smoking. We have a number of guests who request smoking rooms and they are all on one floor. Again, my apology for this oversight on our part.

The hotel changed hands last year and we are in the midst of upgrading furnishings and fixtures. The showerheads are one of them. We are expecting delivery of our new, Speakman Anystream adjustable shower heads very soon.

We appreciate your comments and hope you will consider staying with us again should your plans include a return trip to New York. It would be my pleasure to personally oversee your reservation and I hope you wont hesitate to contact me directly.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I stayed here for five nights end of Jan/beginning Feb with my mother-in-law in a junior suite with two double beds on the fifth floor. This was my fourth time in New York and her first and I found the room to be excellent for our needs with plenty of space. There was even a seating area with a sofa bed and a second television. There was a good sized bathroom and plenty of storage space for us both. The beds were very comfortable and the room heating worked with no problems. The lack of in-room tea/coffee facilities has already been mentioned so I won't go on about that, but the fridge for guests use is a nice touch. The two windows in the room both opened and there was very little street noise compared to my previous experiences - you don't really need a view from your hotel room in NYC! There were minor scratches and marks on the walls/floors but nothing too obvious or that you can't live with - I have stayed in much worse for not a lot less.

I dealt directly with a lady in reservations at the hotel and we were given an excellent deal which included breakfast - two choices of cereal, juices, tea/coffee, yoghurt, hard boiled eggs,deliciously fresh fruit, pastries/cakes, bagels and toast. At the weekend there was also cheese and salami. If you were to pay separately I am not sure it was value for money at $14.95 as we couldn't compare it to anything but as it was included it was more than adequate for us and very convenient - we could use the free wifi to plan our day over a leisurely breakfast.

This is possibly the most expensive room I have stayed in on all my trips to NY as I usually tend to travel with my husband on a budget - but is was worth the little extra I paid for the extra room, cleanliness and comfort. The location is also excellent, easy to get around from. My brief dealings with the staff were fine. They were very helpful, polite and friendly without being in-your-face.

Overall, after a lot of research and reading the reviews, I am so pleased I picked this Hotel for my mother-in-law's first taste of New York. I have always said that my next trip to NY with my husband would be cheap and cheerful, but as the Avalon exceeded my expectations, I will definitely consider it again when I return in November, especially if they are still running their special offers.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ETWalker11
Dear ETWalker11,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdviser about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. We know you have many choices and are glad you selected the Avalon. I enjoyed reading your review and am very happy the went well for your mother-in-laws' first trip to New York.

While November is peak season for Manhattan, we will still have special offers and packages available. It would also give me great pleasure to personally see to your accommodations and I hope you will contact me directly.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 February 2013

We stayed at the Avalon hotel first week in February. The rooms were comfortable but tired looking. They were extremely clean and the beds were very comfortable. The vinyl (timber looking) floors were cold and noisy. The toilet blocked twice so we were upgraded to a suite which was the same as the last room but bigger. The staff are all excellent. Very helpful. The continental breakfast is adequate but water not hot enough to make tea. Coffee was undrinkable. Probably would not stay there again because we have since heard of better for the same price. A bit of a fee lift would make the world of difference as would a microwave and tea and coffee making facilities in each room. Wi fi worked well. Bath robes would have been a nice touch as well.

Room Tip: Our room was 804 which is a suite.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brubec18
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2013
Dear Brubec18,

We greatly appreciate all your comments as they assist us in improving our services and accommodations. The hotel was purchased last year and we have begun a program of upgrades in our amenities and furnishings. I will add a kettle at the buffet station to insure you get the correct hot water to make a proper cup of tea.

Should you future plans include a return trip to New York, I hope you will consider contacting me directly so i can personally oversee your accommodations.

Cambridge
Reviewed 29 January 2013

We were staying in NY for five nights, so I researched a number of hotels before opting for the Avalon because of its location, the relatively reasonable price (we booked the Winter Package), free Wi-fi and the room size, which was large by NY standards. The room was indeed spacious, but the furnishings were rather worn (hole in the curtain, marks on the sofa, broken tap fitting), and it was very chilly when we arrived (but there was a big freeze on). On the other hand, it was clean and well serviced daily, the bed was very comfortable with nice linen and pillows, and the bathroom had a good tub and shower and was supplied with Aveda toileteries.

The area is well furnished with coffee shops, but we would have appreciated tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Apparently coffee was available in the lobby, but I didn't see it, and there didn't seem to be any seating area for guests apart from the business centre. Breakfast was included in our package, and was excellent - lots of fresh fruit beautifully presented and excellent pastries - but the breakfast room itself was a little dreary with rather battered tables. If the hotel were refurbished, with a more welcoming lobby, it would be ideal.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Swanaround
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Dear Swanaround,

Thank you for taking the time post a review of the Avalon Hotel New York on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate all your comments as they assist us in our constant efforts to provide superior service and accommodations.
The hotel changed hands last year and we have begun the process of upgrading beginning with faster high speed internet access, all cotton sheets, more luxurious amenities, and a host of repairs, replacements, refinishing and painting. I have kept our prices lower than our neighbors in order to provide a good value. There is no excuse for a broken tap and I will track it down to make sure it is fixed.
The Library does have limited seating around the fireplace and I will look into adding more chairs. We will also be addressing the lobby area for increased seating.
We are delighted you stayed with us and hope you will consider doing do again. Should you decide to reserve at the Avalon, please feel free to contact my office directly so I can personally handle your reservation.