“Excellent place to stay”
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #128 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Had a brill time staying here although we used it as a base mostly,stayed in the Queen room beds were fantastic beautiful bathroom and a separate sitting room,staff were very friendly and breakfast was great....would stay there again

Room Tip: If your room is not what you expect just tell reception and they will Chang it for you
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank 738Jan
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear 738Jan,

Thank you for staying with us here at the Avalon Hotel New York and for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

I am glad you enjoyed one of the Deluxe Suites with 2 Queen sized beds. They are very popular with our guests. We appreciate your comments and are happy you would consider us again in the future.

When your plans include a return trip to Manhattan, I hope you will contact me directly so I can personally look after your reservations.

There are newer reviews for Avalon Hotel

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Trip with my family in the middle of August, not towards heat. Good situation, near commercial district, 50 meters of her 5th Bird. And to 100 meters of the Empire State Building, 10 - 15 minutes walking to Swindle Square. Excellent the attention and amability of the reception staff, Very comfortable, wide and clean room. In general recomiento to travel to NYC.

1  Thank ENRIQUE10006
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Enrique10006,

Thank you for staying at the Avalon Hotel and for posting a review on TripAdvisor. Your thoughtful comments are greatly appreciated and I especially enjoyed your singling out the Reception staff.

We hope you will stay with us again should your future plans include a return trip to Manhattan. I would enjoy looking after your reservation personally and assure you the best rate.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

I'm just back from staying 5 days in the Avalon. Lovely, clean, very friendly and helpful staff. We used this really as a base only and it was perfect. The room was comfortable as were the beds. Absolutely no complaints about the hotel or its staff whatsoever. On East 32nd Street but literally on 5th Avenue. Ideal central setting to start your day exploring this wonderful city. Thoroughly recommend it :-)

Room Tip: We were on 12th floor north facing. Junior Suite. Ideal.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Dear DMW16,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting a review on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate your comments and accolades as they are an in important part of improving our services and amenities.

I am also grateful for your recommendation as it will be valued by future travellers as well. Should you plans include a return trip to New York, I hope you will contact me directly at the Avalon as I would enjoy overseeing your visit personally.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Exceeded my expectations in spades. Rooms look exactly as photographed. The junior suite was superb; have never stayed in a cleaner, quieter or more spacious hotel room. They listened to my requests and completely delivered. Wonderful vibe and helpful staff. Great deal with no surprises. I am a frequent traveler to NYC and this is hands down my best hotel experience in years!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear annaf f,

Thank you for staying with us and also for your glowing review on TripAdvisor. We really appreciate your feedback and value your comments.

You mention you are a frequent traveler to Manhattan and the Avalon would be honored to become your home away from home. We would be happy to set up a corporate account with a preferred rate for you. Please feel free to contact me directly when your plans include another visit to New York.

Best wishes for the fall,

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I had a deluxe Queen suite for myself and 2 teenage girls for 5 nights in August. The room was spacious with a separate sitting area that worked well for whoever was up last or first. Beds were super comfortable and my daughters loved the strong WiFi signal in our 12th floor room. The bathroom was large with both a shower and tub - loved that(!) - and good water pressure. Staff were very helpful throughout our stay. On the downside, the decor was a bit shabby - some wall patches and the like - and the bed area could have used nightstands on the outer side of each bed. Also a minifridge in the room would have been a nice addition. Overall we were very happy with the Avalon.

Dear Judi S,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting a review on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate your comments and value your feedback.

We have been making gradual improvements this year, rather than closing for a renovation but the Deluxe Suite should not be in the shape you described. I am glad the upgraded WiFi was available and enjoyed by your daughters. I am going to add some extra bedside tables per your suggestion. We did a poor job of showing the room as there is a mini-fridge in the dressing area and a separate, refrigerated snack center in the sitting room.

I hope you will contact me personally should you plan a return trip to New York as it would be my pleasure to oversee your reservations.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We booked a junior suite in the Avalon as we were staying in New York for 5 days on the way home from a three week break in Orlando. We had originally booked the Comfort Inn on 34th Street but we were as bit concerned about the size of the room which was a normal hotel room with two double beds. My wife, my two sons (aged 11 and 16) were staying and the junior suite in the Avalon gave us more room along with two double beds and a double sofa bed. I booked the Avalon about 10 days before we were due to arrive and it worked out about $60 more in total. The price also included breakfast for two adults and as we found out on check in under 12's also eat breakfast free.

When we arrived at the hotel we were quite impressed with the lobby and reception area. There was an old style ambiance about the hotel that was very welcoming. We got to our room (306) and were happy enough with the size and layout , although it was a little bit different to the picture on the website. We decided to go out and sample Manhattan but noticed that there was no bedding for the sofa bed. We asked reception to send up bedding on our way out and when we got back the bed had been made up and extra towels had been left.

Unfortunately we had not looked out the window when we first went into the room! The following morning we were woken before 7am by the noise of dumper trucks and construction work. The room overlooked a building site! We went down to reception after breakfast and asked to be moved. The man on reception said it would probably be possible to move us to a higher floor but he would have to confirm with his boss. We told him we were going to the Yankees game and would be out most of the day so we needed to know sooner rather than later. We returned to the room to get ready to go out and within a few minutes got a call from reception confirming they would move us to the ninth floor. They told us to leave everything packed and they would move our belongings while we were out. We returned the keys for 306 to reception on our way out and the girl (Angelique?)was very apologetic for the inconvenience and noise. When we returned that night we were given room 909 which was away from the building site and was also the junior suite type that had been on the website. As promised all our belongings had been moved and the sofa bed had been made up.The bathroom in this room was bigger and we also had the added bonus of two tv's in the room which meant the kids could watch there own programmes. The rest of the stay went without incident and proved most enjoyable apart from a noisy air conditioner which took a while to get used to.

The breakfast is more than adequate with cereals (cornflakes, frosties and raisin bran), yogurt with fruit and granola, a selection of fruit, bread, bagels and a selection of danish's, donuts and croissants. The first morning (thursday) we had to wait for a table but the other mornings there was no wait. The two staff who look after the breakfast area were very friendly and accommodating.

The hotel itself is located in Koreatown and there are lots of Korean restaurants close by. It is five minute walk from Macy's and the Subway station on Herald Square and the staff were very good at giving directions and train numbers to get us to the various locations we visited. Midtown restaurants were very expensive compared to restaurants in Orlando. The restaurants around Time Square automatically include a gratuity but they don't all tell you this so keep a close eye on your bill! We found a nice reasonably priced Italian restaurant on 31st and Madison called Bella Napoli which served better, and cheaper, food than any of the chains (Ruby Tuesday's, Applebees) or pubs we ate in during our stay.

All in all a good trip and we would stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room away from the building site unless you want to get up at 7am every morn...
1  Thank uscitytripper
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dear USCityTripper,

Thank you for your thorough and gracious review on TripAdvisor. We are very happy you stayed with us at the Avalon Hotel and regret the construction noise. I am glad to hear how the Reception staff handled the situation and that you enjoyed 909.

Should your future plans include a return trip to Manhattan, I hope you will contact me directly so I can oversee your reservations personally. We greatly appreciate your review as we know how important they are to guest decisions.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Prior to our vacation, I spent months searching for a hotel room in NYC. We were convinced that our safest option would be to select a familiar name--any recognizable, family hotel brand. Unfortunately, my research taught me that those familiar brands near most of the tourist attractions had smaller rooms than we desired. We were prepared to settle for less than we can get for our money here in Texas, but we still wanted to be comfortable. It wasn't until I saw The Avalon on a unique travel site that I looked forward to a hotel-stay.

Pros:

Honest advertising--The information and the pictures on the website are accurate and honest! The hotel is a cozy boutique hotel. It is truly about a five minute walk from The Empire State Building, and Madison Square Garden is a few minutes in another direction.

Location-- There are subway entrances nearby. We were able to get to Times Square in about 15 minutes or so and Harlem in about 20. Actually, all our tourist spots were 20 minutes away or less. (The piers take some work to reach.) Also, different subway locations take you to different areas. No need to worry. If the one up the street doesn't lead to the right spot, there is another 5 minutes away on the corner of 33rd...and another on the corner of 34th and PENN Station is a little beyond that.

The accommodations-- We loved our room! We had the Deluxe Suite. The separate sitting area does not have a door, but it gave us extra space. My husband claimed it as his space, as it had a desk, couch and tv.

Cleanliness-- I despise hotel carpet. I admit that I am a nagging mom who constantly reminds my children not to sit on the floor of hotels; not to let their clean clothes touch the floor, etc. I didn't do this once at The Avalon. The wood floors are brand new and/or extraordinarily well kept. There is carpet in the hallways, and they vacuumed frequently. Also, the bedding is white. White fabric tells no lies.

The bathroom-- The bathroom was extremely spacious. There were two sinks and a separate shower/tub. The shower dials allow you to adjust temperature and pressure. (Really! The kids took a shower every time we came back to the room. And, we were in and out several times per day.)

Coffee-machine in the lobby--My husband is a coffee-lover, and the machine makes everything from latte to macchiato. (Even hot chocolate for the kids.)

Courtesy--The staff was kind (especially Curtis). We were unabashed tourists, and my husband was not above asking for pointers and information. Staff members were always knowledgeable and quick to help.

Pricing-- a seasonal special made this a good fit for our vacation budget. (The prices I saw after we booked would not have worked for us.)

Cons:
(Just to offer a balanced perspective)

Breakfast--They did offer free breakfast for two. The cost is 14.95 for additional people, but you can beat that price at a diner or fast food place in the area. Additionally, it is a continental breakfast, offering boiled eggs and a large selection of breads and fruit.

Not convincingly kid-friendly--They only consider kids 12 and under as "children" and charge an additional fee for 13 and up. I typically avoid hotels that treat children like extra baggage on a plane, but I did not allow righteous indignation to keep us from enjoying a comfortable vacation.

The basics--The free coffee selection downstairs is great, but a basic coffee maker in the room would have been appreciated. There is a mini-fridge. (although ours didn't seem cold enough) However, there is no microwave in the building. (There is a mini-bar/fridge. If you touch contents, you buy!) Also, you cannot get your own ice. There is no visible machine; so, you call down and someone delivers. I appreciated the service, but we never are comfortable running staff members around for things like ice.

Surroundings--I could see how some may not like the location. The hotel is surrounded by restaurants. (Most of the restaurants offer Korean cuisine. Walk around the area for variety.) By a certain time of the evening, everyone puts out their trash. That adds a certain something to a walk down the sidewalk, and it certainly helps everyone pick up the pace. Also, it is much darker there than along some of the nearby streets. Still, we always felt very comfortable, and we would still choose what we found here over the constant lights and sounds of other areas.

We would definitely recommend The Avalon. Our family was extremely comfortable, and this was the perfect location for our vacation and tourism plans.

3  Thank SoLaR07

Dear SolaR07,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough and informative review. Guests rely on this editorial and I appreciate all the comments, pro and con.

We are very glad you stayed with us and should your future plans include a return trip to New York, we hope you will stay with us again. I assure you the best rate with an upgrade.

The coffee maker is very popular and we shopped around for the best machine we could find that uses freshly ground beans and real milk. We are grateful for your endorsement.