“Fifth time wasn't the charm”
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #130 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Helsinki, Finland
“Fifth time wasn't the charm”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We visited the hotel again this september, our fifth time at the hotel. Unfortunately, it will propably be our last. We have always had a nice, big room but this time we had a very small room, which was nothing we expected, especially since we were staying for the fifth time. It was on the higher floors but on the noisy side of the street and right next to the elevators. The room itself was clean.

One day, we didn't have our room cleaned until the evening. From our last stay we knew not to go to the breakfast, because they only served mainly fruits and pastries and the location is no longer the restaurant next to the lobby (which we used to love!). We have always had someone take our luggage to our room after checking in but this time we had to take our own luggage upstairs (not a big thing but would be a nice touch if they would be delivered there.). When leaving the hotel, we had an unfortunate mistake with the taxi that we requested and we ended up arriving to the airport much later than we had wanted.

The location is still perfect, and there are nice restaurants a few blocks away. The Avalon has been very nice every other time we have stayed there, so hopefully this was just a bad week for them.

Room Tip: Book a junior suite/ a big room and request a quiet room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear L S,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your visit to the Avalon Hotel. I regret the delay in responding to your comments as it took us a bit of time to learn why your reservation given the number of times you have stayed with us.

All of our guests are important to us and we go to great lengths to acknowledge our frequent travelers. We may not have award points like the big companites but we makeup for it with upgrades. Each person is unique and that is why we didn't put two and two together for a mother and daughter traveling together. There is no excuse for this and we have amended our policy to be more mindful.

I want you to stay with us many more times in the future and should you decide to stay with us again, I hope you will contact me directly as I assure you I will look after your reservation .
personally.

Warm regards,

Michael Rawson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Nueziders, Austria
Reviewed 7 September 2013

nice hotel very close to the empire state building. The room was spacious and the clean . The breakfast is bufet and is reasonable priced -but depending on what you want you fet cheaper deals in the stret

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear Stefan S,

Thank you for staying with us recently. We appreciate your posting on TripAdvisor and value your comments.

I see you travel often and have submitted many reviews to TripAdvisor! When your plans include a return trip to Manhattan, I hope you will contact me directly as I would enjoy looking after your reservation personally.

We look forward to welcoming you back soo.

The Avalon Hotel New York
Hull
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Enjoyed our stay at the Avalon hotel just a couple of things that kept it from getting an excellent rating, we'd booked a Junior suite but was told we'd got a free upgrade to an Executive suite on our arrival... then was told that the downside is it's at the back of the hotel...(as was the Junior suite we'd booked) there's building work... it's noisy... but for an extra cost we can get the upgraded room at the front of the hotel.... it was only the fact that I was so tired after our long trip from the UK that I went for it!! doh!

When I saw the size of the room and the jacuzzi bath it might have been worth the extra $20 per night and an Excellent rating.... but sadly the 'free' wi-fi (which is really important to me) in room 804 was really hit and miss and was a regular frustration.

I know this has been quite a negative review so far but there are actually many positives to this hotel, the location, room size, friendly staff, comfortable and really clean rooms make it very good and despite the wi-fi and a bit of a moan I'd stay again if the price (and the wi-fi) was right!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ShellHull
Dear ShellHull,

Thank you for staying with us at the Avalon Hotel in New York City and posting a review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to learn that enjoyed our location, room size and friendly staff. However, please accept my sincere apologies for the irregularity of the Wi-Fi. I am glad that you brought it to our attention. It has been reviewed to insure it is working properly.

Should your future plans include a return trip to Manhattan, I hope you will contact me directly so I can personally oversee your reservation.

Looking forward to seeing you in the near future.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Had a brill time staying here although we used it as a base mostly,stayed in the Queen room beds were fantastic beautiful bathroom and a separate sitting room,staff were very friendly and breakfast was great....would stay there again

Room Tip: If your room is not what you expect just tell reception and they will Chang it for you
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 738Jan
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear 738Jan,

Thank you for staying with us here at the Avalon Hotel New York and for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

I am glad you enjoyed one of the Deluxe Suites with 2 Queen sized beds. They are very popular with our guests. We appreciate your comments and are happy you would consider us again in the future.

When your plans include a return trip to Manhattan, I hope you will contact me directly so I can personally look after your reservations.

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Trip with my family in the middle of August, not towards heat. Good situation, near commercial district, 50 meters of her 5th Bird. And to 100 meters of the Empire State Building, 10 - 15 minutes walking to Swindle Square. Excellent the attention and amability of the reception staff, Very comfortable, wide and clean room. In general recomiento to travel to NYC.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ENRIQUE10006
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear Enrique10006,

Thank you for staying at the Avalon Hotel and for posting a review on TripAdvisor. Your thoughtful comments are greatly appreciated and I especially enjoyed your singling out the Reception staff.

We hope you will stay with us again should your future plans include a return trip to Manhattan. I would enjoy looking after your reservation personally and assure you the best rate.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I'm just back from staying 5 days in the Avalon. Lovely, clean, very friendly and helpful staff. We used this really as a base only and it was perfect. The room was comfortable as were the beds. Absolutely no complaints about the hotel or its staff whatsoever. On East 32nd Street but literally on 5th Avenue. Ideal central setting to start your day exploring this wonderful city. Thoroughly recommend it :-)

Room Tip: We were on 12th floor north facing. Junior Suite. Ideal.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear DMW16,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting a review on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate your comments and accolades as they are an in important part of improving our services and amenities.

I am also grateful for your recommendation as it will be valued by future travellers as well. Should you plans include a return trip to New York, I hope you will contact me directly at the Avalon as I would enjoy overseeing your visit personally.

atlanta
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Exceeded my expectations in spades. Rooms look exactly as photographed. The junior suite was superb; have never stayed in a cleaner, quieter or more spacious hotel room. They listened to my requests and completely delivered. Wonderful vibe and helpful staff. Great deal with no surprises. I am a frequent traveler to NYC and this is hands down my best hotel experience in years!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear annaf f,

Thank you for staying with us and also for your glowing review on TripAdvisor. We really appreciate your feedback and value your comments.

You mention you are a frequent traveler to Manhattan and the Avalon would be honored to become your home away from home. We would be happy to set up a corporate account with a preferred rate for you. Please feel free to contact me directly when your plans include another visit to New York.

Best wishes for the fall,