“A fabulous hotel with spacious rooms, a rarity in NYC”
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #125 of 468 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“A fabulous hotel with spacious rooms, a rarity in NYC”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I stayed at the Avalon in the first week of September with my husband and 4 children. Staff were welcoming, helpful and friendly, particularly Carlos who greeted us on our arrival, The location of the hotel is perfect, just around the corner from the Empire State with easy access to two subway stations. Within walking distance of Central Park and Times Square. The rooms were very spacious which is rare in New York and they were extremely comfortable, I don't usually sleep well in strange beds but slept soundly at the Avalon. The breakfasts were lovely and very filling and my children enjoyed the free hot chocolates from the drinks machine in the lobby. We were not disturbed by outside noise or indeed by any noise within the hotel. It was fab!

Room Tip: The Junior Suites with two queen beds were excellent value and extremely comfortable
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear Julie T,

Thank you for posting a review about your stay at the Avalon Hotel on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your comments and feedback, and are very happy you enjoyed your visit.

Carlos recently joined us and I am glad he made such a good iimpression on you. I know your comments will assist many future guests.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you are your family back soon. When your plans include a return trip to Manahattan, if you contact me directly I would enjoy overseeing your reservation personally.

Michael Rawson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This is a great little heart in a fabulous location - a couple of blocks away from the Empire State building and the Subway. There are great places to eat on your door step (although many of the places are Korean - you have to walk a little to find other places) and it is near convenient stores. The sleeping areas were very clean but I was a little disappointed with the bathroom. The floor needed a good scrub. Still, we came back every evening to a clean room and it was spacious so we were happy. Breakfast is continental and convenient. if you have a family with children under 12 they are free so it is great value ($14 a person) and included freshly squeezed juices and lots of fruit, a variety of breads, cereal, hard boiled eggs and lots of pastries. We enjoyed it. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: We opted for a suite with two doubles over a queen because it was more spacious.
1 Thank 0Difly0
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear 0Difly0,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel in New York City.

I was thrilled to learn that you found our location was very convenient and provided you with easy access to many of Manhattan's renowned shopping and dining outlets.

Your comments regarding the bathroom were noted.

Should your plans include another trip to New York please contact me directly and I'd be happy to look after your reservation personally. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest regards,
Michael R.
Oakwood, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Our first trip to NYC we were really unsure where to stay, after much research we choose the Avalon. I am so pleased, we could not have made a better choice. We decided to leave a little early and when arrived in the middle night the gentleman at the front deck ( sorry I can't recall his name) helped us to check in for an additional night.. The hotel was gorgeous. The rooms were large. We had a a Deluxe queen suite, for myself and 2 adult children. Rooms were very spacious for NYC, 450 sq. feet. The price was exceptional as was the location. It seemed as we could be anywhere in just minutes by walking. At the end of the day, after seeing the city, the beds were very comfortable. Our reservation included the breakfast, which included fresh fruit, pastries, cereal and breads. Angel was the gentleman that serviced us there, he was delightful. They do not have coffee in the rooms but there is a 24 hour coffee service in the business center- I fell in love with their hot chocolate.
Thank You to everyone at the Avalon for helping make our trip that much more wonderful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear Sandra H,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting a review on TripAdvisor. It was very nice to read your comments, especially those regarding staff members. They mean a great deal to all of us here at the Avalon.

We hope you will stay with us again should your plans include another triip to New York. If you contact me directly, I'd be happy to look after your reservation personally. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed at the Avalon in August. Great location easy to get around on foot or subway. Literally footsteps away from the hectic pace of New York streets, however a slower pace outside the hotel which was lovely to return to. As a boutique hotel it is the perfect size and makes you feel more at home.
We stayed in an executive suite which was big and lovely. Beds are fantastic. The only down sides were the timber floors, a bit noisey, would prefer carpet, the air con was a blessing just a bit noisey and loved the coffee machine downstairs but would have like tea/coffee making in our room.

The staff are fantastic, very friendly and helpful. A big thank you to Carolina, the Manager and Conceriege on duty the night my husband had a fall, they were just wonderful. Definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Donna K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel in New York City.

I am very pleased to learn that Carolina and our staff appropriately responded to your situation and you approved of how it was handled.

We pride ourselves as being a sanctuary in the middle of the hectic pace of New York City. Thank you for your comments on your room. I would be happy to provide area rugs in your room.

On your next visit, please contact me personally so that I may oversee your reservation.
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We visited the hotel again this september, our fifth time at the hotel. Unfortunately, it will propably be our last. We have always had a nice, big room but this time we had a very small room, which was nothing we expected, especially since we were staying for the fifth time. It was on the higher floors but on the noisy side of the street and right next to the elevators. The room itself was clean.

One day, we didn't have our room cleaned until the evening. From our last stay we knew not to go to the breakfast, because they only served mainly fruits and pastries and the location is no longer the restaurant next to the lobby (which we used to love!). We have always had someone take our luggage to our room after checking in but this time we had to take our own luggage upstairs (not a big thing but would be a nice touch if they would be delivered there.). When leaving the hotel, we had an unfortunate mistake with the taxi that we requested and we ended up arriving to the airport much later than we had wanted.

The location is still perfect, and there are nice restaurants a few blocks away. The Avalon has been very nice every other time we have stayed there, so hopefully this was just a bad week for them.

Room Tip: Book a junior suite/ a big room and request a quiet room.
Dear L S,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your visit to the Avalon Hotel. I regret the delay in responding to your comments as it took us a bit of time to learn why your reservation given the number of times you have stayed with us.

All of our guests are important to us and we go to great lengths to acknowledge our frequent travelers. We may not have award points like the big companites but we makeup for it with upgrades. Each person is unique and that is why we didn't put two and two together for a mother and daughter traveling together. There is no excuse for this and we have amended our policy to be more mindful.

I want you to stay with us many more times in the future and should you decide to stay with us again, I hope you will contact me directly as I assure you I will look after your reservation .
personally.

Warm regards,

Nueziders, Austria
Reviewed 7 September 2013

nice hotel very close to the empire state building. The room was spacious and the clean . The breakfast is bufet and is reasonable priced -but depending on what you want you fet cheaper deals in the stret

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Stefan S,

Thank you for staying with us recently. We appreciate your posting on TripAdvisor and value your comments.

I see you travel often and have submitted many reviews to TripAdvisor! When your plans include a return trip to Manhattan, I hope you will contact me directly as I would enjoy looking after your reservation personally.

We look forward to welcoming you back soo.

The Avalon Hotel New York
Hull
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Enjoyed our stay at the Avalon hotel just a couple of things that kept it from getting an excellent rating, we'd booked a Junior suite but was told we'd got a free upgrade to an Executive suite on our arrival... then was told that the downside is it's at the back of the hotel...(as was the Junior suite we'd booked) there's building work... it's noisy... but for an extra cost we can get the upgraded room at the front of the hotel.... it was only the fact that I was so tired after our long trip from the UK that I went for it!! doh!

When I saw the size of the room and the jacuzzi bath it might have been worth the extra $20 per night and an Excellent rating.... but sadly the 'free' wi-fi (which is really important to me) in room 804 was really hit and miss and was a regular frustration.

I know this has been quite a negative review so far but there are actually many positives to this hotel, the location, room size, friendly staff, comfortable and really clean rooms make it very good and despite the wi-fi and a bit of a moan I'd stay again if the price (and the wi-fi) was right!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ShellHull
Dear ShellHull,

Thank you for staying with us at the Avalon Hotel in New York City and posting a review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to learn that enjoyed our location, room size and friendly staff. However, please accept my sincere apologies for the irregularity of the Wi-Fi. I am glad that you brought it to our attention. It has been reviewed to insure it is working properly.

Should your future plans include a return trip to Manhattan, I hope you will contact me directly so I can personally oversee your reservation.

Looking forward to seeing you in the near future.