“Great hotel, great location, very spacious, clean, and elegant.”
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #128 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Windsor, Canada
“Great hotel, great location, very spacious, clean, and elegant.”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

As NYC hotels go, this is not the least expensive hotel by any means, but the rooms are definitely more spacious than most. Very few hotels will provide a comfortable sitting area and room to actually walk around. It's also impeccably clean and well-maintained. I was actually surprised how quiet the rooms were given the hardwood floors, but I am a light sleeper (who always travels with earplugs) and I never heard a sound at night! In fairness, we were on the 11th floor, but it was a very pleasant sleeping experience.

One thing I always like to know before traveling is the closest drugstore (attention carry-on people!). As luck would have it, there is 24-hour CVS less than half a block away!

One minor issue was that we'd booked a Queen-sized bed and were originally given a room with 2 double beds (a lovely room, nonetheless). However, my husband is extremely tall, which is why I always book at least a Queen. Although my reservation very clearly stated that I had reserved a Queen bed, the Front Desk clerk told my husband that this wasn't guaranteed (contrary to what my saved reservation indicated). We ended up having to pay more for an upgrade. It wasn't a substantial difference, but given that this departed from what was stated in the reservation, we should have been given the room. It wasn't a big deal, though. They were very polite about it.

Regardless, the staff was friendly and professional, and there were very lovely public spaces. The complimentary coffee throughout the morning (and day, I suspect) off the lobby was a nice touch. We had breakfast included, and it was a banquet room used as a breakfast area, with lovely background music (REAL music, quiet jazz, etc.) for a nice morning experience. I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Bluegrassdog,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Avalon Hotel New York on TripAdvisor. Your comments are most appreciated.

I am pleased to know that you found our rooms exceeded your expectations and that our location was perfect for you. I am very happy to know that you found our staff friendly and professional and enjoyed many of our amenities.

Please accept my apologies for the room discrepancy. I personally messaged you on your TripAdvisor email in hopes to resolve the issue.

Should your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you again. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

Warmest regards
Michael R.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Just got back from 4 days at the Avalon. We were there picking up my daughers wedding dress at Kleinfelds. We are in NYC at least once or twice a year and stay at different hotels or apartments. The Avalon is far superior to anything else. The staff are incredibly friendly, breakfast was perfect and our junior suite had more than we could imagine. HUGE for a NY room. The location is just perfect. Can come and go all day dropping off your shopping bags. We now know that there is only one place to stay in NYC and the Avalon will be where we will be. Thank you A+A+A+

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Holdner
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Holdner,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response on TripAdvisor about your recent four day stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

Let me first congratulate you and your daughter on her upcoming nuptials. We wish her all the best.

I was pleased to hear that you find our hotel the perfect "home-away-from-home" while visiting Manhattan. I am glad to know that you found our rooms, in particular the junior suite you stayed in, and our breakfast exceeded your expectations. Thank you for your kind comments on our staff. I will certainly pass your praise on to them.

On your next visit to the Avalon Hotel New York, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations. Looking forward to your next visit.

Maidenhead
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed in a junior suite for a 3 night break. Excellent room, although the air conditioning was noisy. The staff could not do enough. including recommending local restaurants, giving coupons to skip the queues at the Empire State Building and booking an early morning car service to JFK.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rob L
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear HesitantTurtle,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Avalon Hotel New York on TripAdvisor.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your three night stay in our junior suite. I am particularly pleased that you found our staff friendly and incredibly helpful. They are certainly the heart and soul of the Avalon Hotel New York. Please accept my sincere apologies regarding the air conditioning. I have notified engineering and I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

We look forward to your return to Manhattan and the Avalon. Please contact me directly so I may personally handle your next reservation.

Ballymena, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed at the hotel with my girlfriend in September. This was certainly a memorable visit as we got engaged in Central Park. On arrival to the hotel the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The room of the hotel was large, spacious and had all the amenities you would want. The free WiFi was great and there was also complimentary tea and coffee in the reception area.

The location of the hotel was also brilliant and this allowed us to go to and from our room throughout the day as anyone that visits New York will find it will be very tiring. We were out first thing in the morning until late at night so whether you've been shopping or to the tourist attractions with the hotel ideally situated you can recuperate for an hour before you hit the streets again! The hotel was very close to The Empire State Building and also to a Subway stop. We used the Subway the whole week and whilst at first it seemed quite daunting and hectic after a couple of days we got the hang of it and were confident in using it to get around everywhere.

As for New York itself we will definitely be back. It is the best place we have ever visited and have been suffering from post holiday depression since we left! The food, the people, the sights. Everything is fantastic. My main advice to anyone going to New York would be to plan before you arrive. There is so much more we want to see in New York so we will definitely be back and the first hotel we would look to stay in would for sure be the Avalon. It would be hard to beat!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andrewrobson90
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear Andrewrobson90,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your comments are most appreciated.

First and foremost, on behalf of the entire staff at the Avalon Hotel New York, please accept our sincere congratulations to you and your fiancée on your engagement. I cannot think of a more beautiful location in Manhattan than Central Park to get engaged.

I am thrilled you found our hotel exceeded your expectations and met all your needs while you were here. I am happy that you enjoyed the location of the hotel, all of our amenities including the complementary Wi-Fi and coffee/tea, as well as our large and spacious rooms. I am most pleased to hear that you found our staff extremely friendly and helpful. They are the heart and soul of the Avalon.

We look forward with anticipation to your return visit to the Avalon Hotel New York. When your plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

Warmest regards... and again congratulations,
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I just spend 5 nights at Avalon Hotel with my two daughters ( 16 and 14 years old ) and we loved it. The location is great , the staff very friendly, and the room was very clean with a big bathroom. I really recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Asamaria2013,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I am very happy that you and your daughters enjoyed your five night stay and found the location of the hotel great and our rooms exceeded your expectations. I am particularly pleased to learn that you found our staff very friendly. They certainly are the heart-and-soul of the Avalon.

When your travel plans include returning to Manhattan, I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you and your family once again. Please contact me directly so I personally may handle your arrangements.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 October 2013

stayed there last thanksgiving, looking forward to staying again for this thanksgiving. will let you know when we get back booked same room this time, that's how satisfied we were. great to get breakfast before going out for the day

Room Tip: we stayed in junior suite 7th floor. ideal.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Barbara_purple,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about the Avalon Hotel New York on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your second visit with us this week as much as you did last Thanksgiving. I am particularly thrilled to hear that we will have the privilege of hosting you again this Thanksgiving.

We certainly look forward to your return visit in November. In the meantime, should you need anything please do not hesitate to contact me.

Telluride, CO
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The Avalon Hotel has once again outdid itself in my books for Luxury accommodation, but with reasonable rates, in New York City. I stayed at the Avalon for the first time last February (see my initial review) and decided to try them out for a second time on my next visit to the City just recently.

The first person I encountered was Abby, one of their super friendly Bellmen, who remembered me from my last visit six months ago and greeted me by name. I had a number of boxes I had had shipped for a show I was to do at the Javits, and Abby happily stored them safely for me and then found two large cabs the next morning to get my boxes to the Javits center on time for my event. Abby and all of the Bellmen at the Avalon are gracious, courteous and always cheerfully looking to help where they can.

My room was immaculate, large and quiet - traits I had recalled from my last visit and which had been a major factor that had encouraged me to stay at the Avalon again. The beds and pillows are unbelievably comfortable, with sheets of some unnamed (high) thread count that were so soft and silky that one feels like they are lying on a cloud whilst sleeping. Indeed I found them so heavenly wonderful, that it was hard for me to get out of bed each morning!

I also love the bathroom, which boasts not only a shower but an extra long tub...perfect for sinking into after a long day standing at the show at the Javits or walking around the City.

The rooms have a fridge for stashing one's own things, coffee and tea making facilities and they will even provide a kettle for boiling water upon request.

The comfortable lobby has an amazing Espresso machine, making the most aromatic cappuccino's, latte's, machiato's, hot chocolate, etc., made out of fresh espresso beans and milk. And all gratis! I got quite used to my triple shot cuppucino's I spoiled myself to daily.

They also have two computers for free internet access and one can ever print things off at no additional cost...such as travel itineraries, shipping labels (in my case), and whatever else the need might be.

I had one glitch in my stay, which was when in my room, I had problems (at times) getting internet access. The staff were on it right away and did everything in their power to make the mysterious lack of connection work. In fact, the Assistant General Manager, Aylin Gonzalez, called me personally to express her concern about my inconvenience and apologized profusely.

Nothing is perfect, and I was very impressed at the personal and sincere interest all the staff involved showed in fixing my internet connection problem for me. This impressed me more than words can say.

The Avalon is definitely a GEM in the midst of a big city and I will definitely stay there again. I highly recommend the Avalon to al those travelling to New York both for work and for pleasure!

Mary Dawn DeBriae

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Fido_Mom,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your return visit to the Avalon Hotel New York on TripAdvisor. Your review was very thorough and we certainly appreciate it.

I was extremely happy to hear that our entire staff, and in particular Abby, was helpful, gracious, courteous and "super friendly." I will certainly pass your kind words on to him and the rest of the staff.

I am very pleased to know that you found our rooms immaculate, large and quiet and our bathrooms an oasis from a long day at Manhattan's Jacob Javitz Center. Although you had a bit of an opportunity with the WiFi, I was glad to know that Aylin was able to help you resolve it immediately and to your satisfaction.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to the Avalon Hotel New York please contact me so I may personally oversee your reservation.