“First USA trip” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avalon Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Avalon Hotel
Ranked #131 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Maleny, Australia
“First USA trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Staff were fantastic, rooms for New York were big however we were placed with a view looking at the back of other apartments -shame when you look at this view for a week. Hotel was an easy walk to Macys and 5th Avenue

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Irish4552,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I am happy to hear that you found our location to your liking and, of course, our staff fantastic. They certainly are the heart and soul of the Avalon. I am sorry that you were not pleased with the view.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations with a different view.

Michael R.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Varese, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in September.
We liked a lot the room, with two beautiful windows and a sofa, but above all we loved the location.
Just one block far from the Empire State Building, the hotel is the perfect base to start the discovery the city in the heart of Manhattan.
Very near to the 5th avenue, to a metro stop, to shops, to very good restaurants, we could really suggest this hotel to everyone.
It's not cheap of course, but this is New York City and we consider Avalon Hotel the best value for money in town.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear MeggieRed,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor about your recent 5 night stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your thoughts and opinions are most appreciated.

I was happy to learn that you found our rooms very comfortable and the location perfect for your needs. We certainly enjoyed having you as our guests.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, please contact my office so I may personally handle your reservation.

Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We were three friends travelling together, and we desided to share a room at Avalon with two queen beds and one sofabed and booked through hotels.com. You can get the junior suites with a kingbed and sofabed as well, so we sent a mail to Avalon to ask if they could please make sure we got a room with two queen size and one sofabed. They replied ofcourse they could give us a room with two queenbeds and a sofabed, but for three occupants instead of two we had to pay 50$ + tax per night. Our booking through hotels.com was for three people. I asked if they wanted us to change hotel, and all of a sudden they found our original booking from hotels.com where it stated we had paid for three people and everything was allright we didn't need to pay for anything extra.
When we got there, only the two beds were made up and the concierge who was told to help us make up the sofabed didn't even know what a duvet was so it took us about an hour and we had to make it up ourselves. When made up it was absolutely horrible, I actually got a bruise on my hip from it. After two days and several complaints they gave us a travel bed instead of the sofabed and this time they even made it up for us.
The air condition the first two nights was only possible to set to cool and during the night we were down to 16.5 celsius, with no possibility to change it. Then on the third night it was set to heat and we couldn't get it down from 25 celsius. When we asked reception they said they had set it to heat and we could't change it, but we could turn it off.
After the fourth night, two on a horrible sofabed and two in trafficenoise since we had to keep the window open to get enough air circulation for three people sharing a room I spent the last one in another room. They were nice enough to give me a good price on it, but seriously, when they offer the room with air con and for three people and four stars, they should offer good enough air, good enough beds to sleep on and if not, don't charge the third person when it's not possible to stay three people in the room!!!

And transportation: They arranged transport for us from the airport to the hotel and we got a confirmation mail from the hotel. When our flight was delayed we called the hotel to let them know we would be arriving later and that the transport people should pay attention to our flight status. The woman we talked to at Avalon didn't understand anything, we should've gotten a mail from a transport company they said and should've called them. We actually got the impression no transport was booked for us. They did however sort it our quickly when they found out.

Other than that the hotel was clean and the staff were nice, but I wouldn't trust them to keep a promise. Need three beds, you get two. Book transport, no transport booked. Air condition, 16.5 or 25?

We also forgot something in a drawer in the room, this was never found. Fortunately it was not that expensive, but still. Who's got it now?

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift, the doors aren't very well isolated.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank EGHT
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Eght,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I am pleased we were able to get in contact with each other to personally discuss your experience at the Avalon. This certainly was not typical of our service and I am happy we were able to bring a satisfactory resolution to this incident.

I am also grateful that you've decided to give us a second chance and would like to stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Manhattan.

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Staff were super friendly, rooms are nice, super clean, and much bigger than NY standards. Beds are amazing and the rooms are quiet, I slept like a baby. The coffee machine in the lobby is great - having complimentary freshly grounded coffee when you wake up made our mornings (and jet-lag) so much better.
We upgraded to a suite on arrival and it was totally worth it - they're huge! Will definitely be back here again, for business or pleasure!

Room Tip: if you're not traveling during a busy time - ask for an upgrade upon arrival. it's cheaper a...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Hamutalm,

Thank you for taking the time to write on TripAdvisor about your experience at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your thoughts and comments are most appreciated.

I was happy to learn that you found our rooms to comfortable, quiet and bigger than most New York City hotel rooms. I am pleased that you loved our complimentary coffee in the guest lounge, but I am most pleased to hear that you found our staff "super friendly." They certainly are the heart and soul of the Avalon Hotel.

I hope we will have the honor of hosting you again in the near future. Should your travel plans call for returning to Manhattan, please contact me so I may personally handle your reservations.

Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

i stayed for the 2 nd time within a year in avalon,
as usual everyhing was perfect ,
very nice room with a perfect view in a calm environment,
perfect staff and very helful by proviidng hot water for my mum's tea,

the beds are perfect , the location is amazing and everything is done to feel like your home

i hope to come again in november if prices go done as it was a big promo when i came in february 2013 ,
:-)
i recommend a lot this lovely and beautiful hotel

a tea maker can be add in the room and this will be the top

but thanks a lot for this wonderful experience,

i will choose the avalon each time if i come again

Room Tip: a nice room with a nice view
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nolan d
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Nolan D.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about the Avalon Hotel New York on TripAdvisor. Your thoughts and comments are most appreciated.

I was very pleased to learn that your 2nd stay with us was everything you expected from us. I am happy to know that you found our rooms comfortable and calming, the beds and location perfect and most importantly our staff friendly and accommodating.

We hope you will return in November, however whenever that is we will make sure to provide you with a tea kettle so your mom can make tea anytime she wishes.

Please contact me directly so I may personally handle your future reservation.

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

We were warmly welcomed by Jessie at the front desk, he provided lots of tips to visit New York.
The room was spacious and clean and the beds were very comfortable to sleep in.
The hotel is located in the immediate vicinity of the Empire State building and 2 subway stations are close by too: In no time you are on Times Square.

2 Thank Peter T
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Peter T.,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your comments and feedback are most appreciated.

I was happy to read that you found our room spacious, the beds comfortable and our location suited your needs. I was especially thrilled to learn that Jesse, at the Front Office, was incredibility helpful and made your visit to Manhattan enjoyable.

Should your travel plans call for a return visit to New York City, I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you again. Please contact me so I may personally oversee your reservations.

Warmest regards
Folsom, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Celebrated my birthday with an 8 night stay at the Avalon. It could not have been a better experience. The size of the room was amazing. I have never stayed in a larger hotel room. I visit New York at least once a year and I wish I had known about the Avalon years ago. Besides this hotel being spacious, clean and quiet, it is just steps from the uptown bus, the downtown bus, the Empire State Building and Macy's. The staff was so friendly, helpful and patient. I always got a pleasant greeting from every staff member I encountered. I did not hear one sound from adjoining rooms. That, in itself, is a small miracle. The beds and pillows were so comfortable. After a long day of exploring, it was heaven to come back for a long soak in the separate large tub. There was room to spread out. The sitting room included another television, desk, mini bar, sofa sleeper, coffee table and 2 end tables. I loved everything about my experience. I absolutely did not mind paying more than I have ever paid in NYC. It was worth every penny and then some. This is now my go-to spot in New York and I will recommend the Avalon to everyone I know. Can't wait to visit there again. My advice to all travelers is skip the hotels in and around Times Square and spend your down time in quiet luxury at the Avalon.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 32nd Street side are probably a bit noisier because of construction happening just down...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Vicki W.,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your comments are most appreciated.

I am certainly happy to learn that you enjoyed your 8 night stay and chose the Avalon to celebrate your birthday in Manhattan. I am thrilled that you found our rooms spacious, clean and quiet, our location and amenities exceeded your expectations, but most importantly that our staff was friendly and helpful. Our staff are truly the heart and soul of the Avalon.

Should your plans call for another trip to New York City, I hope we will have the honor of hosting you again. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I may personally oversee your future reservations.