Avalon Hotel
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$238
US$226
Room Mate Hotels
  • Pool
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$159
  • Fitness centre
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$178
  • Room Service
Row NYC Hotel(New York City)
US$169
  • Bar/Lounge
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$213
US$176
  • Fitness centre
US$189
US$159
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$334
US$262
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$188
  • Restaurant
Archer Hotel New York(New York City)
US$320
  • Restaurant
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$377
US$250
Official Site
1,757 results
All reviewsjunior suitethe empire state buildingkorea townnew yorkpenn stationsofa bedsitting areaaround the cornerfree coffeebig bathroomcontinental breakfastsmoking roomtimes squaremini barcentral locationspacious roomexcellent location
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Just home from a week in NYC. Decided to stay in the Avalon based on its reviews and we weren't disappointed! Such a lovely hotel. The location is perfect, just around the corner from the Empire State Building and about ten mins to macys, MSG and Times Square. Tube stations very close to get you up or down town. Couldn't ask for better location to explore the city. The hotel itself is quite small for NYC standards only 100 rooms. We stated in 706. The room was so big again for NYC, two double beds(so comfy!!!) a seating area, tv, mini bar, large bathroom and plenty of storage. The furniture is slightly dated, room could do with a little tlc but we didn't mind I think it added to its charm! The room was spotless! Our view wasn't great but the room was so quite at night that was far more important after a long day! We had breakfast twice, selection of fresh pastries, cereals, fruit etc. price is $15 each, but pricey considering no hot food, lovely cafe around the corner! Over all the hotel was fantastic, the staff are so welcoming and friendly really makes a difference! Only negative would be the hotel hold an extra charge on your credit card for the duration of your stay and is refunded when you check out ($200) this should really be explained when booking and checking in, only a small thing but if you are on a right budget this could be an issue! However really would recommend this hotel and we will def be back next year!! :)

• Stayed: October 2013
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Jcoll87,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I was happy to learn that you found our location and accommodations perfect during your week stay in Manhattan. I am most pleased to know that you found our staff very welcoming and friendly. The staff are the heart and soul at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you once again when your travel plans call for you to return to New York City. Please contact me so I may personally handle your reservations.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Staff were fantastic, rooms for New York were big however we were placed with a view looking at the back of other apartments -shame when you look at this view for a week. Hotel was an easy walk to Macys and 5th Avenue

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear Irish4552,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I am happy to hear that you found our location to your liking and, of course, our staff fantastic. They certainly are the heart and soul of the Avalon. I am sorry that you were not pleased with the view.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations with a different view.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in September.
We liked a lot the room, with two beautiful windows and a sofa, but above all we loved the location.
Just one block far from the Empire State Building, the hotel is the perfect base to start the discovery the city in the heart of Manhattan.
Very near to the 5th avenue, to a metro stop, to shops, to very good restaurants, we could really suggest this hotel to everyone.
It's not cheap of course, but this is New York City and we consider Avalon Hotel the best value for money in town.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear MeggieRed,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor about your recent 5 night stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your thoughts and opinions are most appreciated.

I was happy to learn that you found our rooms very comfortable and the location perfect for your needs. We certainly enjoyed having you as our guests.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, please contact my office so I may personally handle your reservation.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We were three friends travelling together, and we desided to share a room at Avalon with two queen beds and one sofabed and booked through hotels.com. You can get the junior suites with a kingbed and sofabed as well, so we sent a mail to Avalon to ask if they could please make sure we got a room with two queen size and one sofabed. They replied ofcourse they could give us a room with two queenbeds and a sofabed, but for three occupants instead of two we had to pay 50$ + tax per night. Our booking through hotels.com was for three people. I asked if they wanted us to change hotel, and all of a sudden they found our original booking from hotels.com where it stated we had paid for three people and everything was allright we didn't need to pay for anything extra.
When we got there, only the two beds were made up and the concierge who was told to help us make up the sofabed didn't even know what a duvet was so it took us about an hour and we had to make it up ourselves. When made up it was absolutely horrible, I actually got a bruise on my hip from it. After two days and several complaints they gave us a travel bed instead of the sofabed and this time they even made it up for us.
The air condition the first two nights was only possible to set to cool and during the night we were down to 16.5 celsius, with no possibility to change it. Then on the third night it was set to heat and we couldn't get it down from 25 celsius. When we asked reception they said they had set it to heat and we could't change it, but we could turn it off.
After the fourth night, two on a horrible sofabed and two in trafficenoise since we had to keep the window open to get enough air circulation for three people sharing a room I spent the last one in another room. They were nice enough to give me a good price on it, but seriously, when they offer the room with air con and for three people and four stars, they should offer good enough air, good enough beds to sleep on and if not, don't charge the third person when it's not possible to stay three people in the room!!!

And transportation: They arranged transport for us from the airport to the hotel and we got a confirmation mail from the hotel. When our flight was delayed we called the hotel to let them know we would be arriving later and that the transport people should pay attention to our flight status. The woman we talked to at Avalon didn't understand anything, we should've gotten a mail from a transport company they said and should've called them. We actually got the impression no transport was booked for us. They did however sort it our quickly when they found out.

Other than that the hotel was clean and the staff were nice, but I wouldn't trust them to keep a promise. Need three beds, you get two. Book transport, no transport booked. Air condition, 16.5 or 25?

We also forgot something in a drawer in the room, this was never found. Fortunately it was not that expensive, but still. Who's got it now?

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift, the doors aren't very well isolated.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank EGHT
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Eght,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I am pleased we were able to get in contact with each other to personally discuss your experience at the Avalon. This certainly was not typical of our service and I am happy we were able to bring a satisfactory resolution to this incident.

I am also grateful that you've decided to give us a second chance and would like to stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Manhattan.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Staff were super friendly, rooms are nice, super clean, and much bigger than NY standards. Beds are amazing and the rooms are quiet, I slept like a baby. The coffee machine in the lobby is great - having complimentary freshly grounded coffee when you wake up made our mornings (and jet-lag) so much better.
We upgraded to a suite on arrival and it was totally worth it - they're huge! Will definitely be back here again, for business or pleasure!

Room Tip: if you're not traveling during a busy time - ask for an upgrade upon arrival. it's cheaper and totally worth it!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Hamutalm,

Thank you for taking the time to write on TripAdvisor about your experience at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your thoughts and comments are most appreciated.

I was happy to learn that you found our rooms to comfortable, quiet and bigger than most New York City hotel rooms. I am pleased that you loved our complimentary coffee in the guest lounge, but I am most pleased to hear that you found our staff "super friendly." They certainly are the heart and soul of the Avalon Hotel.

I hope we will have the honor of hosting you again in the near future. Should your travel plans call for returning to Manhattan, please contact me so I may personally handle your reservations.