“Nice hotel - Great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #132 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Verwood, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel - Great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a week. It is pretty basic but functional. The staff are courteous and efficient and there is a nice atmosphere around the place.

The best bit is that is just a block or two away from the Empire State Building and Penn Station (alongside Madison Square Garden). Around the corner is Little Korea which has a wealth of restaurants and is very busy in a good way

The rooms are fairly small and dont expect a view. However the prices are competitive and the beds comfortable. Breakfast was not supplied but there are good bars in the vicinity

One gripe is that the weather became unseasonably hot while we were there in October and the air conditioning did not work. This caused the rooms to rocket to very high temperature around 85 degrees very uncomfortable

Otherwise a nice stay in a decent hotel

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alfaman2001
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Alfaman2001,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is most appreciated.

I am pleased to know that found our location suitable to your needs, but I am happy to read that you found our staff was courteous. They are the heart and soul of the Avalon.

Please accept my sincere apologies with your experience surrounding the temperature of your room. I have addressed this with our engineering department and it has been rectified.

I hope when your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan that you will consider giving us a second chance. If so, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

Michael R.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Avalon unfortunately, is quite forgettable in a sea of wonderful hotel experiences to be had in NYC. The best that can be said for it, is that it's clean and well located. The bed is comfortable. The magnifying mirror didn't work in the bathroom. The furnishings are cheap. The end.

Room Tip: Ask them to not put you in the room right next to the dinging elevator.
Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lulucooks
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Lulucooks,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I am pleased you liked our hotel's location and found the room clean and comfortable, however I was disappointed to read your thoughts on the rest of the room. I do appreciate your frank and honest comments and they certainly are being addressed. We are planning a remodel of the rooms in 2014 and I hope after you would consider giving us a second chance.

When you do plan to return to Manhattan and wish to stay with us, please contact me directly as I will personally handle your reservation.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I had a great 2 weeks stay in your splendid hotel: 16-29 Nov 2013. Our Junior Suite; perfect. 2 Queens, pristine white linens w/duvet. Choice of pristine towels: fluffy or spa. Extensive storage space and drawers, plus extra hangers were delivered after my request. We could have lived here (as we have in many hotels throughout the world.) Your staff: exemplary ! Aylin, Jesmin, and Jesse at Front Desk, Ramon and Angel at Breakfast,, plus Ramon=everywhere ! Also Wilson=our bellman. The private mini-frig=an added bonus for our snacks, wine, fruit. We are MTA public transport holders/enthusiasts and found the buses easily accessible. If we have to take a taxi, we feel we've failed. Ours was and had to be~a non-smoking room, on 11th floor, at the quiet back of hotel. Added bonus: jolly coffee machine in library. The dual table breakfast offerings=delish, except for the rubbery whites of the hard-cooked eggs, and I had to ask each day for pepper. The new larger salt granules served in old fashioned salt shakers were impossible to shake through the tiny holes. I greatly appreciate the choice of beet or carrot juice mixes w/the other regular choices. During the 2nd week, outside temp cooled and therefore, room temp was too hot, but a vertical fan was sent up and a great finding........the windows can open !! Re/the location in Korea Town=after daily early morning trash pickup, the sidewalks could use a more thorough clean. Interesting to explore and study the history of the area: the Hotel Martinique's history w/the charming and petite golf museum, the Morgan Library, etc. Our stay w/you was memorable, and we compare it w/lodging throughout the world.....where we have lived for 30 ++ years. THANK YOU ALL !!!

Room Tip: My Review covered this subject.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Patpfreeburg,

Thank you very much for taking the time write on TripAdvisor about your recent two week stay at the Avalon Hotel New York City. Your comments are most appreciated.

It was a pleasure to be your home-away-from-home for your extended stay in Manhattan. I am happy to learn that our location, breakfast and rooms were to your liking. I am most happy to hear that our staff were most accommodating especially Aylin, Jesmin, Jesse, Angel, Ramon and Wilson.

I also appreciate your comments about the eggs on the continental breakfast and the temperature of the room. I have brought your comments on these items to the appropriate managers.

When your travels bring you back to New York City, I hope the Avalon Hotel New York will be able to host you once again. Please contact me so I may personally handle your future reservations.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

I was very happy to call on my way to NYC & get a double queen suite close to NYU Hospital. The service was fast & good. The only real problem was the temperature in the room on the 12 th floor. It stayed at 80 degrees & when I called to get it fixed, they told me to open the windows.So, I did open my 2 large windows, with a view of the Empire State Building. The only problem was the noise on the busy East 32nd St.made it not easy to sleep. The linens & beds were comfy. The bathroom had a tub & a good shower with plenty of hot water.No room service, & no restaurant. We did purchase the Holiday Special which gave us 10% off any suite , plus complimentary breakfast for 2. The breakfast consists of sliced hard boiled eggs, toasts, pastries, yogurt, cereals, and every kind of cut up fresh fruits, coffee, tea, & juices.the Bell Captain's were extremely nice.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Nanc8,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your comments are most appreciated.

I was pleased to learn that your stay was comfortable, you enjoyed the continental breakfast and that the staff were friendly and accommodating. Please accept my apologies with the temperature of your room. I have brought it to the attention of engineering department and it will certainly be looked into.

I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you on your return trip to Manhattan. Please contact me directly and I would be happy to personally handle your reservations.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Just returned home from NYC. The Avalon Hotel is wonderful and the staff are a credit to it. Our suite was fantastic, we had everything we needed for a very comfortable stay. I was unwell on our first day there and needed to see a doctor, the lady on reception recommended an urgent care centre, she gave us directions and the contact number; that evening on return to our room there was a card from the staff with their best wishes for a speedy recovery, it was very thoughtful. All of the staff helped us during our stay, with recommendations of where to go and how to get there, and helped with booking transport. The availability of PCs for guest use was great, we were able to check opening times of various attractions, make reservations and print copies. The hotel is in the perfect spot, close enough to everything but far enough away from the hustle and bustle so there's very little street disturbance, and you don't hear anyone in neighbouring rooms. If there is one thing we would change it would be to have coffee making facilities in the room rather than having to go down to the lobby, even though it's available free. However, we would definitely stay there again and would recommend this to others.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear ThePages2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. They are most appreciated.

I hope you are feeling 100% again. I am sorry to hear that you were not feeling well during your visit, but very pleased to learn that our staff took good care of you while you were here and that they were helpful during your stay.

I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you again on your return to Manhattan. Please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

North Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Have just spent 6 nights at the Avalon with my teenage daughter. We loved the space and comfort of our large room on 9th floor. Two queen size beds, truly comfortable, plus a sofa and generous clothes storage, and a fridge. The bathroom was always clean and with plenty of towels and instant hot water. The hotel style is old-world - brass, glass, big mirrors and swirly floral paintings. We were pleasantly surprised by how close the subway was (2 stations - 34th St/Herald Square and 33rd St were within 7 mins walk. Easy walk too to Empire State Building, Macy's, Flatiron Building.

The staff were unobtrusively pleasant and helpful at all times. One of the reception staff, Jesmin Pineda, helped us make the best of our stay by suggesting great places to shop (Broadway/Lafayette) and the easiest way to get to Bronx Zoo. She also kindly arranged to hold our baggage on the day of our departure as our plane left in the evening.

The Avalon's location close to subway and to Midtown bus points makes it easy to get wherever you want to go in Manhattan. In the immediate location I would recommend Cafe M (2 doors away) - we got fresh pastries there every morning and enjoyed breakfast in our room with the free tea & coffee provided in the Avalon lobby - very welcome - and the Artisanal Restaurant, just down the street. There's a Walgreen's in the bottom of the Empire State Building about 4 mins walk away, which is useful for sandwiches and groceries. About 10 mins walk down to the Flatiron Building where there is an open air independent food court where we enjoyed pulled pork.

Overall, I was very happy with the value for money of this hotel and I would return.

Room Tip: We asked for a room high up - got the 9th floor (hotel has 12) and enjoyed skyscraper views and tota...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Judith_Sansom,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thought on TripAdvisor about your recent 6 night stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our rooms spacious and comfortable, as well as having a perfect location for your needs. I was particularly happy to hear that our staff, in particular Jesmin Pineda, was very helpful, knowledgeable and make your stay extra special.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, I hope the Avalon Hotel New York will have the privilege of hosting you once again. Please contact me directly so I may personally handle your future reservations.