“This hotel is my favorite in NYC!”
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #128 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Waukesha, Wisconsin
“This hotel is my favorite in NYC!”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I highly recommend the Avalon. The rooms are spacious, clean, and comfortable. The staff is amazing. This was my second stay there and wouldn't stay anywhere else. The location makes it easy to move about the city. Worth the price. I love staying at the Avalon!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Dalaine J
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Dalaine J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your second stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your feedback about our hotel is most valued.

I was happy to read that you found our rooms spacious and comfortable and the location perfect for your needs. I am particularly pleased to learn that you found our staff "amazing." They certainly are the heart and soul of the Avalon.

When your future plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

Michael R.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The Avalon hotel is the best you will find anywhere in NYC!! We stayed here Nov 9-13 2013 for the second time in a year. The staff is exceptional and you won't find a bigger or cleaner room anywhere in NY. I also was to give a big thanks to Wilson the bellman for being so kind and helpful. Another awesome stay at the Avalo! Can't Wait to come back!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank EBing
Dear EBing,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your return visit to the Avalon Hotel New York. Your feedback is important to us.

I am pleased to read that you find our rooms spacious and immaculate, however I am incredibly happy to know that our staff, and in particular Wilson, were helpful during your second visit.

When your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

Verwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a week. It is pretty basic but functional. The staff are courteous and efficient and there is a nice atmosphere around the place.

The best bit is that is just a block or two away from the Empire State Building and Penn Station (alongside Madison Square Garden). Around the corner is Little Korea which has a wealth of restaurants and is very busy in a good way

The rooms are fairly small and dont expect a view. However the prices are competitive and the beds comfortable. Breakfast was not supplied but there are good bars in the vicinity

One gripe is that the weather became unseasonably hot while we were there in October and the air conditioning did not work. This caused the rooms to rocket to very high temperature around 85 degrees very uncomfortable

Otherwise a nice stay in a decent hotel

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alfaman2001
Dear Alfaman2001,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is most appreciated.

I am pleased to know that found our location suitable to your needs, but I am happy to read that you found our staff was courteous. They are the heart and soul of the Avalon.

Please accept my sincere apologies with your experience surrounding the temperature of your room. I have addressed this with our engineering department and it has been rectified.

I hope when your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan that you will consider giving us a second chance. If so, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Avalon unfortunately, is quite forgettable in a sea of wonderful hotel experiences to be had in NYC. The best that can be said for it, is that it's clean and well located. The bed is comfortable. The magnifying mirror didn't work in the bathroom. The furnishings are cheap. The end.

Room Tip: Ask them to not put you in the room right next to the dinging elevator.
Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lulucooks
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Lulucooks,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I am pleased you liked our hotel's location and found the room clean and comfortable, however I was disappointed to read your thoughts on the rest of the room. I do appreciate your frank and honest comments and they certainly are being addressed. We are planning a remodel of the rooms in 2014 and I hope after you would consider giving us a second chance.

When you do plan to return to Manhattan and wish to stay with us, please contact me directly as I will personally handle your reservation.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I had a great 2 weeks stay in your splendid hotel: 16-29 Nov 2013. Our Junior Suite; perfect. 2 Queens, pristine white linens w/duvet. Choice of pristine towels: fluffy or spa. Extensive storage space and drawers, plus extra hangers were delivered after my request. We could have lived here (as we have in many hotels throughout the world.) Your staff: exemplary ! Aylin, Jesmin, and Jesse at Front Desk, Ramon and Angel at Breakfast,, plus Ramon=everywhere ! Also Wilson=our bellman. The private mini-frig=an added bonus for our snacks, wine, fruit. We are MTA public transport holders/enthusiasts and found the buses easily accessible. If we have to take a taxi, we feel we've failed. Ours was and had to be~a non-smoking room, on 11th floor, at the quiet back of hotel. Added bonus: jolly coffee machine in library. The dual table breakfast offerings=delish, except for the rubbery whites of the hard-cooked eggs, and I had to ask each day for pepper. The new larger salt granules served in old fashioned salt shakers were impossible to shake through the tiny holes. I greatly appreciate the choice of beet or carrot juice mixes w/the other regular choices. During the 2nd week, outside temp cooled and therefore, room temp was too hot, but a vertical fan was sent up and a great finding........the windows can open !! Re/the location in Korea Town=after daily early morning trash pickup, the sidewalks could use a more thorough clean. Interesting to explore and study the history of the area: the Hotel Martinique's history w/the charming and petite golf museum, the Morgan Library, etc. Our stay w/you was memorable, and we compare it w/lodging throughout the world.....where we have lived for 30 ++ years. THANK YOU ALL !!!

Room Tip: My Review covered this subject.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Patpfreeburg,

Thank you very much for taking the time write on TripAdvisor about your recent two week stay at the Avalon Hotel New York City. Your comments are most appreciated.

It was a pleasure to be your home-away-from-home for your extended stay in Manhattan. I am happy to learn that our location, breakfast and rooms were to your liking. I am most happy to hear that our staff were most accommodating especially Aylin, Jesmin, Jesse, Angel, Ramon and Wilson.

I also appreciate your comments about the eggs on the continental breakfast and the temperature of the room. I have brought your comments on these items to the appropriate managers.

When your travels bring you back to New York City, I hope the Avalon Hotel New York will be able to host you once again. Please contact me so I may personally handle your future reservations.

Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

I was very happy to call on my way to NYC & get a double queen suite close to NYU Hospital. The service was fast & good. The only real problem was the temperature in the room on the 12 th floor. It stayed at 80 degrees & when I called to get it fixed, they told me to open the windows.So, I did open my 2 large windows, with a view of the Empire State Building. The only problem was the noise on the busy East 32nd St.made it not easy to sleep. The linens & beds were comfy. The bathroom had a tub & a good shower with plenty of hot water.No room service, & no restaurant. We did purchase the Holiday Special which gave us 10% off any suite , plus complimentary breakfast for 2. The breakfast consists of sliced hard boiled eggs, toasts, pastries, yogurt, cereals, and every kind of cut up fresh fruits, coffee, tea, & juices.the Bell Captain's were extremely nice.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Nanc8,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. Your comments are most appreciated.

I was pleased to learn that your stay was comfortable, you enjoyed the continental breakfast and that the staff were friendly and accommodating. Please accept my apologies with the temperature of your room. I have brought it to the attention of engineering department and it will certainly be looked into.

I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you on your return trip to Manhattan. Please contact me directly and I would be happy to personally handle your reservations.