“A fantastic boutique hotel”
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #132 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 December 2013

This hotel has such friendly staff who are so willing to make your stay so good.
The hotel is just off 5th avenue and close to most of the things to see. Shops and the Empire state etc.We did not try the continental breakfast but would suggest (as everythihg else is good that would be the same) 24 hour coffee machine just off thje check in desk has a good sel;ection of teas hot chocolate and coffees. Our room (for 3) wa quite large with lots of storage space. Bathroom good to. The nice3st thing about this hotel is the wonderful staff . All there to make and inform you of everything you need to know. Go For It

Room Tip: our room was on 12th floor and that was good maybe though you have to wait a bit for the lift but t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ujay1
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Ujay1,

I was happy to read that you found our location, rooms and amenities perfect for your needs. I was most pleased, however, to know that the nicest thing about our hotel was the staff. We pride ourselves in striving to exceed all of our guests’ expectations. I will certainly pass your kind comments on to everyone.

When your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your reservations.

Wishing you all the best for a very happy New Year.

Michael R.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,669)

Reviewed 16 December 2013

This beautiful hotel is ideally located for the highlights of Manhattan - all within walking distance. The staff were welcoming and friendly with the added personal touch of the Assistant Manager Aylin. The staff always greeted us with a "Good Morning" an were extremely helpful and friendly. Our stay was to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday, and with the help of Aylin this was a memorable and unforgettable experience. She made our stay very special and we ended up staying an extra night. We love this hotel and all the staff and we will be back. The room was exceptional and perfect. Thank you Avalon Hotel from Glasgow, Scotland.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Alison H,

Once again, on behalf of everyone at the Avalon Hotel New York, we wish your husband a very Happy 50th Birthday. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Avalon. It is most appreciated.

I was happy to read that you found our hotel's location perfect and that your room was exceptional. However, what was most pleasing was that you and your husband found our staff welcoming, friendly and helpful - particularly Aylin. I am glad she was able to make your entire stay all the more perfect. I will certainly pass your comments along to her, as well as to the rest of the staff.

When your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact my office as I would like to personally handle your reservations.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Never ever leave reviews but just back from a 6 night NYC stay and this hotel was one of the best parts of our holiday. The location is unbelievable, right across the road from the Empire State Building and can walk pretty much anywhere. We had a standard room which was lovely and clean with a very comfortable bed.The service from the staff was something else and felt like we were being treated like VIPs. Staff that stand out were Elena, Jesse, Carlos, Abby and the ladies who were on the front desk (sorry can't remember their names!). Always got great advice about places to visit and eat and how to get around on the subway. Free wifi and tea/coffee were nice perks. Spent huge amount of time researching hotels and it was worth it because this one is a gem. If we ever go back to NYC won't need to do any more research because we will be staying here! Actually can't think of any bad points about this hotel. Its a tough job maintaining that kind of standard and hospitality staff often don't get enough credit but these guys nailed it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Frequentflyer935,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent six night stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. They are most appreciated.

I was pleased to know that you found the Avalon in an ideal location, the rooms comfortable and our amenities including our free WiFi and complimentary tea & coffee perfect for your needs. What made me most happy to read was that the service from the staff and your VIP treatment was the highlight of your stay. I will certainly pass on your kind words to Elena, Jesse, Carlos, Abby and the rest of the front office staff.

When your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Wow what a nice hotel. Really big rooms for NYC and a great location right in the middle of town not far from the Empire State Building. Beds are comfortable and reception really helpful for any queries. Wifi was really fast too.

If I have one negative, and it's one the hotel can do nothing about, is the building works that are currently going on. They start at 7:30am and can be a bit loud...but again nothing to do with the hotel itself, just a consideration if planning to stay there.

All in all a great hotel in a great location.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear James H.,

I was happy to read that you found our rooms large, our beds comfortable and our location perfect for your needs. Thank you for your comments regarding the work across the street. We have, and will continue to bring them up to appropriate parties.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan, please contact my office directly as I would like to personally handle your reservations.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

This was our first trip to New York and we were not sure where to stay but chose the Avalon because of where it was situated and from reading reviews, we did not make a mistake. This boutique hotel is within walking distance to just about anywhere in Manhattan you want to go. Our room was wonderful, starting with a huge bathroom with double sinks, separate shower and tub. We had a 2 queen suite, the beds were extremely comfortable and we had a living area that was quite spacious. This room was very large by any standards but by New York standards it was huge. Everything was very clean. The staff are all wonderful they will help you with anything but I have to mention what we thought was the real gem, the doorman named Curtis. From the moment we arrived he was gracious, helpful and took us under his wing.If we needed anything, he got it for us, if we needed directions or restaurant ideas he was there for us.When you stay there tell him girls from northern ontario say hi.I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Northerngirls3,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. They are most appreciated.

I was glad to read that you chose the Avalon as your home-away-from-home for your first trip to Manhattan. I am very pleased to read that you found our hotel perfectly located and that you found our rooms comfortable and well appointed. I was happy to know that our staff, in particular Curtis, was very helpful and made your stay even better. I will pass your kind comments on to him.

When your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, I hope we will have the pleasure of hosting you again. Please contact my office directly as I would like to personally handle your reservations.

Wishing you all the best for a wonderful holiday and a Happy New Year.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

This was our fourth trip to NY and our first stay with the Avalon. We stayed for 5 night and were really pleased with our choice of hotel. The staff were great from the receptionists, the cleaning staff and Abby on the door who was a perfect gentleman! We had an issue with the smoke detector in our room which the maintenance staff resolved within minutes. Everyone was really pleasant and helpful. Our room was spacious, clean and bright. Perhaps the most comfortable bed we have slept in in NY! We will definitely return and would recommend it as the perfect mid town location.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear ReviewerC,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response on TripAdvisor about your recent return visit to the Avalon Hotel New York. It is most appreciated.

I was happy to read that you find our hotel perfect for your needs and that you love how comfortable our beds are. I am most thrilled to hear that our staff was pleasant and helpful - especially Abby. I will be sure to share your kind words to him and the rest of our staff.

When you plan to return to Manhattan again, please contact me as I wish to handle your reservation personally.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

In the heart of Midtown Manhattan, between 5th Avenue and Madison Avenue, is the wonderful Boutique Hotel Avalon located. It's an excellent starting point for exploring New York or to get to the Empire State Building or Madison Square Garden.

If you know some of NY's hotel-rooms, we had a ball-room in the Avalon. Our room was very spacious with two very comfortable beds and even two televisions. But who needs the TVs in New York, the city, that never sleeps? ;-)) The room was very quiet, only the air-condition was noisy, but we stopped it during the night.

BTW: There is only small place for the bath-articles in the bathroom. Would be great, if there were some more space for them.

We had a wonderful stay in this classic boutique Hotel with the very friendly and helpful staff. We could not have a better choice and enjoyed our stay very much and will surely return.

Room Tip: It you turn off the AC for the night the room 1208 is very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Caecilie,

I was very happy to read that you found our hotel spacious, comfortable, quiet and the location to 5th and Madison Avenues, as well as the Empire State Building and Madison Square Garden perfect for your needs.

Should your travels bring you back to Manhattan in the near future please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your reservations.