“Unbelievable location, service and comfort!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #131 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Vernon, New Jersey
“Unbelievable location, service and comfort!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Conveniently located in the center of Manhattan, the Avalon was a wonderful experience. A boutique hotel that offers wonderful rooms that were quiet and very spacious rooms, unusual for a hotel located in mid-town. It's location is perfect, away from the major bustle but close enough to walk to Times Square, Penn Station, etc. I will definitely return!

Room Tip: Research using Trip Advisor and read reviews.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sandi H
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear Sandy H,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at the Avalon Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and the conventient location.

You mentioned you would return; please contact me personally so I can oversee your reservation and accommodations. I promise the best rate and try my best to extend a complimentary upgrade.

Warm regards,

Michael Rawson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Reykjavík
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

When my husband and I first arrived at the Avalon, tired from a long trip, we were welcomed by such a lovely doorman. That was our first impression of the hotel and the whole staff turned out to be just as nice and helpful. They made sure our stay was lovely.
The location was excellent!! We were travelling with a one year old but we had no car seat for her so it was important for us to get around easily on foot or on the subway and that turned out to be no problem at all. We could walk everywhere and the subway was close by. After having explored the city we are convinced that the hotel was perfectly located.
The hotel was very clean, which mattered a great deal to us! We were staying in the Executive King suite and it was wonderful. So spacious, well organized and the bed was so comfortable.
I´m still thinking about the breakfast buffet it was so delicious!! They had cereals, yogurt, pastries, bagels, fruit, juice and much more and they never ran out.
When we come back to New York we will most definitely be booking a room at the Avalon and we have been recommending it to our friends and family since we got back home to Iceland.

- Berglind and Baldvin

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Baldvin_Logi
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Baldvin_Logi,

Thank you for taking the time to respond on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York.

I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was happy to know that you found our rooms spacious and clean and that you and your family enjoyed our buffet breakfast. I was most happy to hear that your first impression of the Avalon was the staff and that it was wonderful. They certainly are the heart and soul of the hotel.

When your travels bring you back to Manhattan, I hope we will have the honor of hosting you and your family. Please contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

From the front door to the front desk to housekeeping, efforts were made to see that we had everything we needed! What a team! This small hotel between 5th and Madison was a perfect home base for exploring mid Manhattan. Grand Central Station was just a few blocks one way and Penn Station (Amtrak) was the other way. Empire State Bldg across the street, Macy's on the next block, Rooms were large by NYC standards and clean as a whistle! Would have enjoyed an in room coffee or hot water pot for tea BUT there were numerous coffee options off the lobby. This will be in my NYC file for future visits!

Room Tip: I followed others' suggestion of requesting a room away from the lift. We were on the 9th which...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sleland
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Sleland,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. They are most appreciated.

I was very happy to read that you found our services, facilities and location exceeded your expectations. I was most pleased to know that our entire staff, from the front office to housekeeping, was able to fulfill your every need. They certainly are the heart and soul of the Avalon.

When your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact my office as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

Barcelona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed in the Avalon Hotel for first time during a business trip on December and the experience couldn’t been better. My room was the 605, a perfect Junior Suite: very spacious, huge comfortable bed, perfect living room area, great amenities brand, two televisions, self-use fridge and big closet with light. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the breackfast buffet was delicious. The hotel is located in the best Manhattan spot, 32nd St between 5th and Madison Ave. I will repeat for sure!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Monica S.,

I was very happy to read that your first time staying at our hotel was a pleasant one and you found our Junior Suite spacious and comfortable, as well as our amenities to your liking. I was most pleased to know that our staff was very friendly and helpful to your every need. They certainly are the heart and soul of the Avalon.

Should your travels bring you back to Manhattan, please contact my office as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

Natick, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We recently stayed for 3 days at the Avalon.

The good:

1. The rooms are very large by New York City standards. We did rent a suite, but even so it was very large. Bathroom was very large as well, with two sinks.
2. Comfortable bed, and good bedding.
3. The room had a safe and a refrigerator. Convenient.
4. Reasonably priced.
5. Nice architectural touches. Crown molding, nice lighting (in the lobby and halls).
6. Good central location.
7. Quiet.
8. Good TV, lots of channels.
9. Service is polite and cooperative.
10. Rooms are clean.
11. Great coffee in library (back of the lobby).
12. Climate control is precise.
13. Deluxe suites have standup showers.

The not so good:

1. The wifi in the room was essentially useless. Even if you could connect, throughput was close to zero. The was a wired connection available, but I didn't have an adapter to connect my iPad, and of course it's useless for your phone.
2. In spite of the architecture, there's something not-so-cozy about the room. There's a somewhat sterile, aging feel. Perhaps the room was just too big (!!). Faux wood flooring cheapens the look.
3. Lots of things are... loose. The lamp sockets. The bathroom shaving mirror. The door knobs. The overall feeling
4. The breakfast buffet is very average. Better than hotel chains, not nearly as good as it could be.

The Avalon is a good choice in mid-town east.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Lee H.,

I was pleased to read that you found our location suited your needs while visiting Manhattan and that our rooms were large and clean. Additionally, I was happy to know that you enjoyed a number of our amenities including the in-room safe and refrigerator, complimentary coffee service and cable television.

Please accept my sincere apologies for opportunities you experienced during your stay with us. Thank you for bringing to my attention the issues you experienced with the Wi-Fi and some of the furniture in your room. I have addressed them with our engineering department and they have been resolved. It's suggestions from guests, like yourself, that help the Avalon continue to improve and provide exemplary service to our guests.

When your plans call for a return visit to Manhattan I hope we will have the privilege of hosting you again. Please contact me directly so I may personally handle your next reservation.

Farnsfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Good location, great room, generally very helpful staff and an outstanding response to some problems we had on our first night. This was our first trip to New York and we weren't sure about hotel choice but struck lucky and would definitely use Avalon again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steve J
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Steve J.,

I was happy to read that you found our location and rooms met your satisfaction. I was most pleased to know that our staff responded to all of your requests and fulfilled them beyond your expectations.

When your travel plans call for another trip to Manhattan I hope you will contact me directly so I may personally handle your reservations.

Badajoz, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

The Vincci Avalon hotel is definetely the best hotel in New York we have lodged (we have visited New York twelve times). It is extremely well situated, just a few steps from the Empire State Building. This allows us to walk up and down Manhattan from a priviledged starting point. Rooms are huge and comfortable and very well heated or air-conditioned. Beds are good. The staff people are all very polite, like Mr. Ruben, Miss Jazmin, and most of all their Assistant General Manager Miss Aylin Gonzalez who will always help you with any problem you may have and is always willing to make you feel at home. We highly recommend this hotel and will surely come back from now on..

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Lewis G.,

I was pleased to read that you found our hotel's location perfect for your needs and the rooms comfortable and large. I was most happy to know that our staff, in particular Ruben, Jasmin and Aylin, were very helpful and met all your needs. I will certainly pass your kind comments on to them and the rest of the staff.

When your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me as I would like to personally handle your reservations.