“Best deal of the day!”
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #131 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Just got back from a week staying here and we loved it! It was located close to everything. So glad I didn't stay in Times Square. This place was clean and quiet and loved the breakfast we got every morning on the second floor. The staff was friendly and helpful as we'll. If I go back to NYC I will stay here again!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Charlene L.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is appreciated.

I was happy to read that you loved the hotel and found the rooms and continental buffet breakfast perfect. I was most pleased to learn that our staff was friendly and helpful. I will certainly pass your kind comments on to them.

Should you find your future travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly as I would like to personally oversee your next reservation.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I truly enjoyed my stay in Manhattan at the Avalon. Walking distance to Penn Station, a bit of a hike but absolutely walkable. Was able to leave my bag at the hotel as I went off to business meetings as I arrived at 9:30 am. Everything I had to do was within walking distance. The room (junior suite) was massive! Clean and totally acceptable. I personally love large bathrooms is this one was huge. This room and hotel deserve a very solid 4.4. Only the very best get a five-o. Recommend for business or pleasure visits to NYC/Manhattan. Nice staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Norman H.,

I was happy to read that you truly enjoyed your stay with us at the Avalon and found our spacious rooms, location and large bathrooms to your liking.

Should your future travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly as I would like to personally oversee your next reservation.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in one of their junior suites on 12th floor. Room was spacious and clean, but some unpleasant smell (strong cleaning agent? hopefully not pesticide??) appeared from the 12th floor aisle. I walked through some other floors which were non-smelling, however. Another refrigerator for your own beverages was practical. Staff and doormen were friendly.

There was a construction site on the backside of the hotel. Work started at 7 am on weekdays and about 8.30 on Saturday. Could disturb someone who wants to sleep without alarm.

Breakfast was not included in our room price, but tried it once (14$+taxes per person). There were white bread, croissaints, muffins etc, some fruits, yoghourt (but why sweetened???) with granola ja fruits, coffee/tea, juices, cornflakes. No cheese, ham or vegetables. There are several nice places to have a breakfast nearby the hotel, so I would strongly recommend to go out.

Hotel is located in Little Korea (32nd street) with good Korean bbq places to try. Streets to downtown and Broadway are little messy nearby the hotel, but 34th street towards Macy´s is full of shops. Accesses to metrolines are good.

In conclusion, I would say that I was satisfied with the hotel but would choose another neigborhoods of Manhattan (if affordable). Those neigborhoods are easily reached by foot or metro, however.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear HjaT.,

I was disappointed to learn that we did not live up to your expectations. I inquired about the odor you noticed and discovered that it was because we had just shampooed the hallway carpets. In regards to the outside noise, we have filed a notice with the city of Manhattan. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

If your future travel plans call for a return visit to New York City, I hope you will give us another chance. If so, please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your reservation.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Great rooms at a great location. In NYC this combination is hard to beat. Add to this a good price deal and you've got a winner. The Avalon Hotel is a friendly find at the heart of NYC. Mid town is not a fashionable place to be these days... but the 32nd street location is a convenient walking distance to everywhere. Rooms are large and well appointed, clean and quite. Our Junior Suite at the 10th floor was fantastic. The free fresh coffee tea or hot chocolate is great in the morning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Miguel & Tulio,

I was happy to read that you found our hotel to your liking including our large, well-appointed rooms, location and numerous amenities including our complimentary lobby beverage service.

If your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact my office directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed in Avalon for 5 nights in one of their junior suites. Nice big room and one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in. Great pillows also. We had a room at the back and it was fairly quiet for Manhattan. No noise from within the hotel. Staff were friendly especially the doormen. Coffee, tea and hot choc available 24 hours in the lobby. Great location with lots of places for breakfast. Good value for money (by New York standards) and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Karon C.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent five night stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is appreciated.

I was happy to read that you found our hotel, its location and its amenities perfect for your needs, as well as finding our beds and pillows comfortable. Thank you for your comments about our staff and in particular our doormen. I will certainly pass your kind comments on to them.

Should your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact my office as I would like to personally oversee your next reservation.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Not much to complain about here - great location, great staff and a family friendly offering. We walked the streets of NYC for 4 days with our 11 month old daughter in a 'stroller' and this was a lovely homely hotel to return to each day. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the City for the first time as it is smack bang mid town and most of the key sights are within walking distance. Booked through venere.com and got a good price too after deliberating various other choices - glad we went for this one. There's free proper coffee in the lobby and a mac and pc and printing facilities to use for free. I followed advice on here to email ahead asking for a higher floor room and crib which worked out. Thanks to the staff who looked after us.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear M19red,

I was happy to read that you and your family found our hotel comfortable and ideally located for you needs. I was also pleased to hear that our staff took good care of you during your stay here. I will pass your kind comments on to them.

Should your future travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact my office directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here in August 2013 and loved the hotel. We thought the Midtown location was perfect for a first time visitor to NYC as you are walking distance to many of the key attractions and transport. This hotel was right near the Empire State Building and Penn Station, handy for us with luggage as we caught the train from Washington DC and then went on to Boston via train (both just a few hours). My partner and I don't mind a bit of walking and we even walked half way up Central Park from the hotel and along Madison Avenue. We walked to Broadway and Times Square and down to Wall Street.

The hotel itself is very clean, great modern rooms, comfy beds, nice lobby, etc. We spent a week in NYC and at times when we were tired from all the walking, our room was great to hang out in. I've heard a lot of hotels have small rooms and whilst this wasn't super super large, it was by no means a shoebox. We booked the cheapest room and we were really happy with the size for a couple with considerable luggage after a month of shopping around the country. Our room was right near the elevator but we didn't notice any noise.

We can't fault this hotel for a great price, nice staff and a perfect location for our first visit. We took advantage of the $1 pizza slices around the corner many times! The train or subway was easy to get to the Statue of Liberty Ferry south and the Baseball stadium for the Yankees in the north. Stay here if you want an excellent hotel in Midtown.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank caitlanellen

Dear CaitlanEllen,

I was happy to read that you found our hotel perfect for all your needs - including our location and rooms - during your stay in New York City. Thank you for staying with us.

Should your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly as would like to personally handle your next reservation.