“A Wonderful Surprise!”

Ranked #132 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA
“A Wonderful Surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was our first trip to New York City and we needed three key things. A quality hotel that allowed smoking (unfortunately my husband still smokes), an affordable price, and space. We got all of these and so much more with this great find. First of all, we started out on the wrong floor, where smoking is not allowed and it smelled great, so if you are worried the whole place will smell like smoke, it doesn't! Even on the right floor they do an amazing job with air cleaners keeping the hotel from smelling like an ashtray. Moving on to more pleasant things. The room was huge! Two lovely beds, a lovely sitting area and big bathroom. Definitely did not feel cramped during our stay. The breakfast that was provided daily was just "continental" but it was the best continental breakfast buffet I've ever had. All different kinds of pastries and croissants and fresh fruits and yogurt parfait not to mention the number of fresh juice choices and cereal/bagels too! It was great the staff was fantastic as well as the awesome coffee available in the lobby at any hour of the day. Couldn't ask for a better location too...just a block and a half from the Empire State Building! Would definitely stay here again. Only reason for 4 stars instead of five is that furniture was a bit worn...but for the value...loved this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie N
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Julie N.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is appreciated.

I was happy to read that enjoyed your stay with us while in New York City. Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel location, the size of our rooms and our continentinal buffet breakfast. I am pleased you enjoyed everything.

When your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly as I would like to personally oversee your next reservation.

Michael R.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I felt that the Avalon Hotel over glamorized what it offered and was stingy. I rented a suite which was a long skinny room with two televisions. The "wood" floors which photograph nicely are linoleum. The air conditioning was not controlled by the thermostat and was too cold, noisy and windy. I asked for the suite to get a nicer room and it was on the 4th floor and felt like it was in a deep hole with very little light and no privacy. The complementary breakfast was cheaply presented. The breakfast was in charge of one man who was charged with bringing out the food, checking people in, and cleaning vacate tables. After staying 5 nights they would not give me a checkout later than 12:30 without paying a lot of additional money.

Room Tip: The "wood" floors are linoleum. The air conditioning was not controlled by the thermostat...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Briefs
Dear Briefs,

I am sorry that our hotel did not live up to your expectation. I hope that if your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, you will give us a second chance. If so, please contact me directly as I would like to personally oversee your reservation.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

The front facade of the building was under construction when we visited, but that didn't detract from our first impression too much.

Our welcome was warm. The bell boy was particularly friendly. We arrived before 11am, too early for our room to be ready. We were provisionally checked in and were asked to return at 3pm. In the meantime, we were offered express passes to tour the Empire State Building (which is about a block or two away) and we were offered enough information and pamphlets to see us through the next few hours.

The hotel is well situated. There are any number of gift shops, coffee shops, food outlets and also a pharmacy nearby. It's also only a short walk away from a Times Square.

Avalon offers breakfast (though for an additional charge). The are two mini bars in the room. One of them automatically takes stock of whatever you have from it. The other is for own use - if, for instance, you buy something from outside which you bring back to the room.

The room is comfortable. We were disappointed to be offered two single beds though - even though we made the point that we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. The Avalon staff left a welcome note wishing us well for our anniversary, but still saw fit to check us into a room without a double bed. This detracted from our experience. In the bathroom, the shower head is fitted over the bathtub which I never like.

Avalon offers complimentary wifi.

A good stay and a good choice for first time visitors.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Brent B.,

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and found our hotel perfectly located, our rooms confortable and that our in-room amentities were to you liking. Although I was happy to learn that you chose us to spend your wedding anniversary, I was dissappointed to learn that you were checked in to a room with two beds instead of one bed. I hope if your travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, that you will give us a second chance.

If so, please contact my office directly, as I would like to personally oversee your next reservation.

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I spent 3 nights at the Avalon hotel at the end of May
And found it to be a clean and comfortable hotel with friendly staff. We had 2 queen sized beds in the room and they were so comfortable. Lovely pillows and bed linen. The bathroom was fine with a bath/shower. Towels were plentiful. You can get complimentary tea/coffee etc in a room off the lobby where there are also 2 pc's. The hot chocolate was lovely and creamy. We had breakfast once in the hotel but there were only a few other people in there and although there were plenty of cereals, pastries, ham and cheese etc, there was no hot food. The waiter came to take our room number but didn't clear any used plates or dishes from the tables. On the other mornings we turned right out of the hotel and went to a buffet cafe on the corner which had a huge selection of food including porridge, scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes, fried potatoes as well as pastries, bagels, muffins, fresh fruit. You fill a container with the amount you want and then pay by weight. They also do lunch and dinner buffets and the food looked lovely and fresh. We caught a bus and train to get to Penn station and although we should have got a cab the last bit to the hotel, we walked with cases. We got cab to go back! The hotel is within walking distance of the Empire State Building and Grand Central terminal which is worth a look. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank amh59
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear amh59,

I was happy to read that you and your daughter found our hotel clean, comfortable and well located. Thank you for commenting on how friendly and helpful our staff is. They certainly are the heart and soul of the Avalon.

Should your future travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly as I would like to personally oversee your next reservation.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights. Room was a large Jr suite, quite dated and scruffy in places, the shower was like a hosepipe, no Aveda products as stated on their website. Bizarrely there were two tv's in our room! Our AC was quite noisy, so we didn't use it during the night. The beds were really comfortable however our room was opposite a building site which was noisy at times. The staff were really friendly and helpful. We had decided not to breakfast at hotel due to negative reviews but on our third morning as it was raining we thought we would try it and we were pleasantly surprised and they had a good range of teas. It's in a great location and easy to get to subway stations.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Alma5051,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. They are appreciated.

Thank you for letting us know that our website still lists Aveda as our bath amenities. We recently switched from Aveda to Thymes and I will insure that the website correctly reflects this change. I have our engineering department looking into the AC units to insure they run as quietly as possible.

I was pleased to read that you found our the Avalon well located in Manhattan, our staff friendly and helpful and that you gave our continental buffet breakfast a try and enjoyed it.

If you find your future travel plans will bring you back to New York City, I hope we will have the honor of hosting you once again. If so, please contact me directly as I would like to oversee your next reservation.

Rugby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I was a bit exceptic about going to this hotel at the beginning due to the rates similar to other well known hotels. But after arriving I just must say It was the perfect decision. We arrived on the weekend before the Memorial Day and the hotel was full so we were upgraded to a junior suite. I just must say the bedroom was perfect, massive bed enough for 4 person, big bathroom with Jacuzzi, lounge with TV. Bedroom and toilets were spotless and perfectly clean every day. Staff very friendly and helpful. And about location just to say that Empire State is literally around the corner. There are plenty of buses and metro station is just 2 streets on the right of the hotel. If you like Korean food you are lucky because is on the area called little Korea were you have plenty of Korean restaurants.
Defenitly is a good option to visit NY.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Fenomenopucela,

I was happy to read that you found our hotel well located in midtown Manhattan, our rooms spacious and clean and our staff friendly and helpful.

I hope when you travel plans call for a return visit to New York City, we will have the privledge of hosting youi once again. Please contact my office directly as I would like to personally oversee your next reservation.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We spent a night in NYC at the Avalon. It was a reasonable walk from Penn Station. Room was "compact" with only one queen bed but worked well for my son and me. It was not fancy, just comfortably appointed and reasonably priced (for NYC that is). We will stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014
Michael R, General Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear ES_screen_name,

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel comfortably appointed and well located.

If your future travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact me directly as I would like to personally oversee your next reservation.