“Well situated, close by the 34th and walking distance from all the touristic Stuff.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avalon Hotel

Avalon Hotel
Ranked #131 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toulon, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I spent a week here. I found all the staff very professionnal, help full and kind. The room was enough for myself. There were some building on the street but with some ear plug it was resolved real Quick.

I notice that the cleaner lady didn't change the sheet on my last night so maybe it could be good to focuss the cleanung staff once again.

My room was the 601.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Rhooben
Aylin G, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Rhooben,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent week stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is appreciated.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, however please accept my sincere apology for the issue you experienced with housekeeping on your last evening with us. That certainly is not the standards we strive for every day.

When your future travel plans call for a return visit to New York City, please contact me directly as I would like to oversee your next reservation and offer you a upgrade.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

I recently spent 3 nights at the Avalon and overall, it was very pleasant stay. This was the second time I stayed here (first time was in 2005), and while some things have changed, the experience remained just as desirable as I remembered. I was in room 707, a Junior Suite which I got for a surprisingly good rate online of somewhere around $220 per night.

The hotel is in a very convenient location, just around the corner from the Empire State Building, Herald Square, etc. and only a few blocks from Times Square. It is located right in the heart of Koreatown NY, which seemed like kind of a shady neighborhood after dark, but not at all unsafe. The hotel itself is very clean and inviting. Check-in/checkout was very simple, and all of the employees I encountered were friendly and helpful.

As for the room, it was great! Large and spacious with a nice entry foyer, very comfortable beds, a sitting area and work desk, plus not one but two TVs. There is a minibar but also a separate cooler for drinks in the room at no extra charge. The bathroom was excellent and clean, and also big with an individual shower/bathtub. The A/C works very well in cooling the room, however the system does take some figuring out to get working properly. The free Wi-Fi worked well and was great to have. One of the only downsides to the room was the poor view, which was a construction site behind the hotel that (be forewarned) gets going every morning at 7:30 AM, so good luck sleeping in late unless you bring earplugs! Fortunately, I assume that will be a temporary issue, but it's still worth noting. The other downside was the huge structural column directly in between the two beds, but that's more of a gripe than anything major. And, another issue is that the elevators were often very slow.

The hotel has a daily breakfast served in a room on the 2nd floor which costs about $15, though I was able to get it for free as part of a special when booking my room. I stopped by to check it out but didn't actually eat anything there, so I can't comment on the food, but it looked like a nice spread.

Overall I was really impressed with the quality of my stay and this hotel in general. I hope to return again next time I visit NYC.

1 Thank jordanb505
Aylin G, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear JordanB505,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Avalon Hotel New York. It is appreciated.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your repeat visit with us and your three night stay was pleasant. Thank you for your kind comments on our location, size of our rooms, amenities and in particular - our staff. They certainly are the heart and soul of the Avalon.

When your travel plans call for a return visit to New York City, please contact my office directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just returned yesterday from New York. Have been here many times as used to be an air stewardess! If you are looking for a budget price hotel look no further, the room size is amazing for New York standards, the buffet Evan though just a cold buffet was great fresh fruit, pastries and cereal set you up for the day. The free tea and coffee was a bonus when you have been out all day it was great to get a coffee and take it to your room, location was great for all the tourist attractions, felt safe at night. Staff helpful as l needed advice on going back to the airport by train. Would recommend this hotel to anybody and l would stay here again. Forgot to mention the bed was so comfortable too.

Sleep Quality
1 Thank Jeanette S
Aylin G, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Jeanette S.,

I was happy to read that you enjoyed our hotel's location, our oversized rooms, continental buffet breakfast and especially our staff. They are the heart and soul of the Avalon.

If your future travel plans call for a return visit to Manhattan, please contact my office directly as I would like to personally oversee your next reservation.

West Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Nice rooms - we had 2 rooms on 7th floor. Views not great and building work was going on outside but it's a city so that's to be expected. Beds really comfy and hotel in general looked really nice everywhere, staff seemed friendly and helpful. No restaurant but there's loads of places nearby so isn't an issue. We had a really nice stay and would be happy to stay there again if and when we come back to New York.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
1 Thank Moneyfile
Aylin G, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Moneyfile,

I was happy to read that you enjoyed our hotel, found our rooms comfy and our staff friendly and helpful. They certainly are the heart and soul of the Avalon.

Should you find you travel plans call for a return visit to New York City, please contact me personally as I would like to oversee your next reservation.

Malmö
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Avalon hotel for two days in August. We had a great stay. The hotel has a great location close to Empire state building and walking distance to most things. The rooms are very spacious, especially for New York standards. The hotel is not newly renovated but nice and clean. And as stated before, very good size rooms! The breakfast buffet has a good variety of bagel and rolls and lots of pastries and sweets. We would definitely stay here next time we come to NY.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mia S
Aylin G, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Mia S.,

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your two day stay with us and found our rooms spacious and clean, our hotel well located in Manhattan and that you enjoyed our continential buffet breakfast.

If your future travel plans call for a return trip to New York City, please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Loved the junior suite, big roomy, comfortable beds, staff friendly and helpful. yeh good hot chocolate/double expresso from machine. Excellent location to everything Empire State building, transport, Korea town. Well priced. I'll be back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aylin G, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Mary V,

I was happy to read that you found our rooms big and roomy, our location perfect and our complimentary beverage service in the library perfect for your needs.

If your travel plans from Australia call for a return visit to New York City please contact me directly. I would like to personally oversee your next reservation.

Wycombe, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Great Hotel. Staff could not be more helpful. Lovely room...bigger than typical mid town. Beds were comfy. Great hot chocolate and coffee on tap. Location is another huge plus... Short walk from Penn Station and stones throw away from Empire S.B. We hope to be back again next trip to NY.

E.B. 8/11/14

Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aylin G, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Eva B.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your return visit to the Avalon Hotel New York. It is always appreciated.

I was happy to read that you found our hotel well located, rooms large and comfortable and our staff friendly and helpful enough to become a repeat guest of the Avalon.

When your travel plans call for a return trip to Manhattan and the Avalon Hotel New York, please contact me directly as I would like to personally handle your next reservation.