“Good stay with only one issue”

The Hotel @ New York City
Ranked #310 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Seattle, Washington
“Good stay with only one issue”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I have stayed at this particular hotel and have never had any real issues. The rooms have Tempur-Pedic beds, HDTV, coffee maker, that wonderful Sugared Citrus soap and shampoos, and a massaging shower head. Very conveniently located, close to transportation and dining. My only issue was during check in. I booked a King Smoking. When I arrived at my room, it was King, but non-smoking. When I went back to reception to have the room changed, she kept insisting that I had booked a non-smoking room. It wasn't until I showed my confirmation printout that she told me they didn't have any King smoking rooms available. I was given a Queen smoking. Because it was only for one night, it wasn't an issue, but a guest should be contacted if the room they booked is no longer available. Other than this issue, it's a lovely hotel. The breakfast was decent and filling. There seemed to be enough of each item left when I went down, about 9AM. Overall, I liked this property and will most likely stay again.

Room Tip: Call to confirm your reservation the day before arrival to make sure they still have what you reques...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank NYTravelGuru68

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I made a reservation about a week in advance. I knew I'd be working late, so I specified a late check in. I asked for a non smoking room away from the elevator. I received a smoking room directly across from the elevator bank. The guy at the desk apologized and offered $20 off. At 1:30 am I really didn't feel like arguing. The room did not smell from smoke at all and the elevators were fairly quite. The room was clean and typical. It was about 15' x 15' with a small bathroom. Flat screen tv was mounted on the wall above a desk. The shower was like a torrential downpour. I've never seen a shower push out that much water. The final cost was $179 after the $20 off. All in all, it was a decent experience. If I stay here again, I'll check in earlier so I get the room I want.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Amys_husband
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights in Aug 2011 after getting a recommendation from a colleague and reading the reviews here. I must say that I enjoyed my stay very much. The location is excellent - everything I wanted to see was within walking distance or short subway ride (bus/subway very close by). There are a few nice restaurants right nearby, as well as quite a few bakeries/bagel places/coffee shops. The breakfast is typical of US hotels - bread, bagels, donuts, pastries, fresh fruit, waffles, etc., and plenty of good hot coffee.

I checked my bed very carefully - no bed bugs, no signs of bed bugs. Sheets were sparkling white clean, bathroom etc were clean as well.

The A/C is a bit noisy (an older unit), but it didn't bother me.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Shira_K_2011
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I read the mixed reviews on this hotel and was a bit afraid but it's what fell within my budget. I didn't have any issues with the front desk staff, the rooms were clean (no sign of alleged bedbugs or cockroaches), the air conditioning was plenty - thank goodness because I went there on the hottest day of the year! Breakfast was fine - not super deluxed and I can imagine if you go 5 minutes before it's over they might be running low on stuff - but there was enough choice... Not alot of seating for breakfast - so met someone new one of the mornings. My only complaint is that my room faced Lexington and the noise from constant traffic was a bit distracting - bring your ear plugs if you're a light sleeper. The only other suggestion I'd make is that they add a towel rack somewhere in the bathroom...

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank ddkphotos
Reviewed 2 August 2011

On 16 th of june 2011 we went to NY and stayed at ramada inn east side hotel which is on Lexington Ave.At first night many of bedbugs bite my arm,shoulder etc. When i turned back to my country I went to doctor and told me that i
These are bedbug bites.All a long my holiday I felt terrible because of bites.I want to allert everyone not to stay in that hotel Ramada inn east side in NYC

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank Turkiyr
applecorehotelsstaff, Operations Associate at The Hotel @ New York City, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
Dear Turkiyr,
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We are sorry your stay was unpleasant; however we can assure you that we have always maintained the highest standards in preventing and eliminating pests. We have employed a company that routinely conducts checks even if there are no signs of problems. In addition, our housekeeping staff is trained to proactively look for signs. If there is any question, the pest control company is called and they come in immediately. We checked your room and found no signs of bed bugs. Nevertheless, we are sorry for the inconvenience you faced.
Thanks again for the review, and we hope you will give us another chance to serve you in the future.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels
Summerville, South Carolina
Reviewed 1 August 2011

The hotel was centrally located.Lots of great restaurants nearby. The hotel staff was very helpful and the continental breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Hannibal, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Was a decent enough room and relatively clean. The problem we had were the constant upsells, "where are you going?", "I can get that for you for $$$", etc...
When we checked out, we had car service picking us up later in the day, so we asked them to keep our luggage until then, they agreed and locked our bags in a back room, but when we came back to retrieve them, we noticed that they had been opened. NOT COOL.

Room Tip: Better to go someplace with a more trustworthy staff.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank albumimagery
Dear albumimagery,
Thank you for staying at the Ramada Eastside and for taking the time to share your experience with others here on Tripadvisor. We are very surprised to hear about your experience with up-sells from our staff. As a hotel without a concierge desk, our front desk and bellmen are allowed to assist guests but are not supposed to get involved in such offerings unless the guest requests it.
We hope you will give us another chance if your travels bring you back to New York City.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels