“Great hotel and great value”

The Hotel @ New York City
Ranked #328 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Clean and good sized rooms. Hotel is centrally located in midtown but on a relatively quite street. Not much of a vew from the room, and no swimming pool, but free Internet access, and in-room mini fridge and microwave. Staff is friendly and knowledgeable. Subway station is a couple short blocks away and there are a few 24-hour convinient stores nearby.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,687)

Reviewed 30 July 2010

It's from 20 to 30 minutes walking from the hotel to Times Square. Budget Hotel, no fridge in the room and no laundry machines, but you and find one two blocks away. Close to several eating places and delis.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2010

In general, I enjoyed my stay at the Ramada. It's in a great location and close to everything.
The hotel is well maintained and it seems like management is very good at running a tight ship.

Be aware though that the rooms are quite small unless you travel alone. If there is two of you and you also do some shopping, then you will struggle to fit it all in your hotel room.

The Internet was also down for an entire day while we were here but I guess that is beyond the hotel's control.

Overall, a good place to stay if you don't mind a small room and...the price is right!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2010

On arrival I was told I can buy calling card that I can use in my room, but to my surprise the reception lady reserved a $114 more than the amount quoted in the website for my 6 day stay. I knew this immediately because I have an in-contact sms service linked to my credit card. On checking out I was told that the calling card never worked therefore all my calls went through their system and I was charged huge amounts (which added up to this $114) off which I find very convenient. They are certainly not honest, and by the looks of things they will do anything to rob you-- so be warned!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank zamaSouthAfrica
applecorehotelsstaff, E-Commerce at The Hotel @ New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2010

Dear zamaSouthAfrica:

Thank you for staying at the Ramada Eastside! We are concerned about the problem you experienced during your stay with us. We are truly sorry for the inconvenience you had due to the system malfunction which has duplicated the phone charge postings. I wanted to inform that only national calls inside USA are free from the room telephone and international calls are subject to be paid. It’s disappointing to learn that you were not satisfied as guest satisfaction is very important to us Please rest assured that your comments and suggestions are taken very seriously. As discussed on the phone with you, we have credited back your account with an amount. Please do not hesitate to contact our General Manager to discuss further. We apologize again for the inconvenience and hope we will have the pleasure to see you again in the near future!

Thank you!
Myriam from Apple Core Hotels

Reviewed 18 July 2010

We were pleasantly surprised! Though the rooms were small, the hotel was very clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. It was good value, especially considering that a modest breakfast was included. We'd stay here again in a second.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2010

This hotel was great, and we had an amazing stay! For NYC, our room was very spacious--we did ask for a larger room since we had a family of 4, so that could have been why. But, for under $200 per night, this was a bargin for a spacious, CLEAN, recently updated room in mid-town (eastside). Super, super clean! The rooms were very nice with the flat screen TVs, super clean bathrooms, comfortable Tempur-pedic beds, and a mini coffee maker/microwave/fridge. Free phone calls to anywhere in the U.S. and free wireless internet. We were minutes away from either the 28th or 33rd St subway stops on the green line (4,5,6 trains). Also, very easy to flag down a cab in front of the hotel. It is also only a few blocks from the Empire State's building. Great LOCATION!! The Murray Hill neighborhood is a very nice area with many restaurants that would cover any craving (Italian, Chinese, Indian, BBQ, diner, pizza, organic, sushi, ice cream). Also, the staff is very friendly.The breakfast was good (cereal, oatmeal, toast, bagels, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt, microwave pancakes, donuts, juices, coffee), but not much seating. I loved the 12pm check-out (no need to get up early and rush out)! Will stay here everytime I return to NYC!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank prestomagic
Reviewed 14 July 2010

We stayed at the Ramada Eastside on July 2 to 8, 2010. We booked two hotel rooms since we were traveling in a group. The hotel is close to Midtown and is only about a 5 minute walk to the closest subway line. We arrived at the hotel around 3 pm (which is check-in time), but one of the rooms was not quite ready. The front desk staff was very helpful and nice and said they could put us in a similar room without a fridge and microwave (the rooms are the same price), but we decided to wait for the nicer room. Also we requested for our two rooms to be on the same floor at the time of booking, but the front desk was unable to accommodate our request. This was not a big deal for us at all. So we all went up to the room that was available, and the front desk called us approximately 20 minutes later to say that other room was ready.

The rooms were pretty nice for the price. They were fairly spacious with the usual amenities that any other hotel room would have. There was little counter space on the bathroom sink, but we were able to manage okay. Also, as many other reviewers have pointed out, the door to the bathroom is frosted glass and we could definitely see through it. I cannot imagine why anyone would want a bathroom door with a glass panel!

One nice thing about the Ramada Eastside is that they offer a free continental breakfast each morning. This consisted of quite a few items such as bagels, a variety of donuts, fruit, cereals, yogurt, etc. I thought this was a very nice amenity for a New York hotel.

The only true complaint I really have about this hotel is the lack of air conditioning in the elevators and hallways. We were there in the middle of summer in 100 degree weather and thought this was rather odd. Also, when housekeeping cleaned our room they would often turn off the air to our room, causing us to come home to a VERY hot and stuffy room after a long day of sightseeing. This seemed liked an absurd thing to do in the middle of summer! I guess this is the hotel’s way of cutting costs and saving money, but it annoyed us.

Overall, we had a good stay at the Ramada Eastside and would probably stay there again. I did tons of research on hotels before we left and this was one of the best hotels I could find for the price.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family