“Good experience”
Review of The Evelyn

The Evelyn
Ranked #280 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed at the Gershwin Hotel this week, for two nights. The staff was really welcoming, the room spacious (i had a Deluxe King one) and the bed absolutely comfortable. New and beautiful bedding was appreciated. Moreover, the Gershwin Hotel is well located right in the middle of Manhattan.
I would certainly come back there.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,228)

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I have seen a lot of people complaining about their stay at the Gershwin but it makes me wonder if they actually did have any problems, whether they informed the hotel staff. Yes we did have some problems, but nothing that couldn't be rectified and because the staff were so helpful and friendly, we honestly did not mind and didn't ruin our stay at all.
I have seen people complain about the heating not working in the rooms, we turned the radiator on by the hob on the radiator and the room did get very warm which was helpful when New York is so cold in December. The radiator is an old one so it did make some noise which is normal for the old radiators, so we had it on when we went out to dinner and then turned it off just before we went to sleep so it didn't keep us up and then turned it back on as soon as we woke up and heated up the room pretty quickly.
We thought the hot water wasn't working so we informed the staff at the desk and they sent someone up straight away. Apparently you need to leave the hot on for a while as it comes from the basement and we were on the 8th floor.
We locked ourselves out of our safe (our fault) and informed the hotel staff, someone came up and helped us straight away. So it does make me wonder if people on here let the staff know as the staff were so quick, friendly and efficient.
The room was cosy, the beds were very comfortable and definitely try the coffee from Birch Coffee as it is really good coffee!
Thanks for a lovely stay Gershwin!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xnesx
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I have stayed in hotels around the world for over 40 years, and am used to living in developing countries, but the Gershwin is by far the worst I have ever experienced. I never write hotel or restaurant reviews but feel I must in this case as a public service. This hotel should not be open to the public. In the middle of winter the temperature in the room never got above 64 F/17C. and most of the time the heating, on a timer, was off in the bedroom and bath. There is one working elevator for the entire building meaning you wait 20-25 mins. to jam yourself into a packed elevator. The shower is freezing and has nowhere to place soap or shampoo so you must hold them as you bathe. The windows have wind blowing in all around the frame and the bottom. Workmen start pounding at 6 a.m. every day. I left early because the hotel was unbearable.

Room Tip: Don't stay there no matter what.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JH3922013
GershwinManagement, General Manager at The Evelyn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Good day,

Please accept my sincerest apologies. I know an apology doesn't change such an uncomfortable
expierience, but I do welcome an opportunity to personally discuss this situation with you.

Please contact me directly at jagosto@gershwinhotel.com.

Regards,

John David Agosto

Reviewed 9 December 2013

friendly staff allowed to check in early and check out late. Decent size room, no kettle, no fridge. the building was very old and needed work but this was compensated by good location and good price. very close to subway stations and 5th avenue.
The heating system is very old and comes on by a tamer decided by the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I'm not a fussy hotel guest, but this is a very substandard property. While the staff was courteous at the desk, I was not able to check into my room till almost 4pm on arrival day, apparently because they don't enforce check-out times for guests who are departing that day. Quite an inconvenience. When I finally got into the room, need to rush to shower before a dinner date, I found the hot water out. Maintenance was underway on the boilers. (Couldn't they have considered their guests and done this work during night-time hours?) The cold shower was an unwelcome surprise. The toilet valve was loose and ran water all night. (At least the quasi-white noise was helpful sleeping.) The next morning, I was awakened at 8:45 am sharp with jackhammering in the room above my 8th floor room. Nice. The basic room did not have a desk of any kind. Electric outlets were hard to come by, and one I finally found was old and would not hold a two-prong iPhone charger without falling out of the wall.

I know this probably sounds fussy. Really I'm not that way at all. Very simply I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

I read some of the other reviews and I guess your experience depends on your level of expectation. I expected more for $250 a night. My room is small and has no character. No artwork on walls. Windows that are old, drafty, and dirty, overlooking a brick wall, and offering no sound dampening for outside traffic. Hotel is noisy with old wood floors and no carpets to dampen sound. No coffee maker in room. Two mismatched uncomfortable chairs. All but one slow elevator is broken. Valet parking is expensive and not at all convenient. I had to double park and get honked at for 5 minutes before being helped. Check in was slow. Lobby smells bad. Location is good though. Flat screen is nice, but channel selection limited. Best for folks who plan to spend all their time out and about and just need a place to park their things and try and sleep.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sooz830
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Don't stay here unless you really need cheap. Noisy, dirty rooms, under construction ( let's hope that start from scratch). I appreciate a bargain and can deal with OK to whatever hotels but this one was one of the worst I have ever stayed in---anywhere! Don't do it.

Room Tip: Call and see if they have renovated!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business