“Great location, great staff, renovation needed of rooms”
Review of The Evelyn

The Evelyn
Ranked #282 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The location is excellent, easy access to work and leisure.
The hotel staff is great, they are responsive and cordial.
Good coffee shop, good value,
The room that I was assigned is in need of renovation.

1  Thank Miguel T
Write a ReviewReviews (2,181)

Reviewed 27 January 2014

As loved the Gershwin several years ago. It was a funky, charming, convenient place to stay. Our last visit, however, was a huge disappointment. The huge murals of musicians were missing from the halls. The lobby was sterile instead of cozy. Our room was tiny with the most incredibly inconvenient bathroom layout we have ever seen. The housekeeping staff "forgot" to make up our room one day. The only reason I didn't give it a "2" or "poor" rating is the excellent staff in the lobby and at the door. They almost made up for the problems. They were all courteous and went well out of their way to be helpful. One doorman offered us an umbrella on the way out. Another ran all the way down the block to hail a taxi for us. One concierge explained the NY bus system in great detail, and another gave us good advice about a place to eat and enjoy a show. The place is under renovation and we won't give it another try until all of that is finished.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2014

7th floor room noisy on the 27th street side and outside lighting cam in with shades shut. Otherwise room was clean, comfortable and staff was very helpful/firendly. Of course Birch's makes the best coffee as a long time client. Good value for price when other hotels 50-100% higher.

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Hotel is probably not the most modern I have stayed it. However room was warm and clean, bed was very comfortable and shower powerful. The street noise didn't bother me as much as I thought but the best thing about the hotel is Mohammed the concierge. Friendly, helpful and full of info. Always making sure we had a good day and made great suggestions. Would recommend hotel just for him!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The Gershwin has never been stellar quality, but we have been loyal customers for several years. The fact that you can take the train to Penn Station and have an easy walk to the hotel cannot be beat. This was our fifth stay at the Gershwin because we were spoiled by the location and room size. Where else could we find a king suite with sitting room for the same price as a standard room at most other Manhattan hotels? This time, however, everything was different. Ownership of the hotel had been outsourced to a foreign corporation that somehow managed to eliminate all of the charm while not fixing any of the issues. Gone were the cozy sitting areas occupied by hipster musicians, the ability to hear numerous languages throughout the building, and Andy Warhol's soup can. Still front and center were the moldy showers, finicky plumbing, and over-worked, rickety elevator.

All of this became evident when the same king suite we always rented had been transformed into a "family" suite. Two twin beds had replaced the sitting area, a sloppy paint job covered the exposed brick walls, and incredibly cheap furniture adorned the room. The headboards did not fit the beds, the doorknobs were installed crookedly, the bathroom window was covered in plastic, the radiator whistled, and the faucets dripped.

The employee at the front desk told me that suites like I had booked in the past no long existed. However, the photos I received on my confirmation emails and viewed on their website looked like the way the rooms used to be. Obviously, the new company was concerned about loosing business if they posted what the hotel looked like under renovations. To add insult to injury, I paid more this time than I ever had in the past. Until this business improves its quality, do not waste your money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
GershwinManagement, General Manager at The Evelyn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Emily Elliot,

Please accept my sincerest apologies. I'm disappointed we let down such a loyal guest. I know an apology doesn't change such an uncomfortable experience. We are addressing all of the issues you've encountered throughout your stay. I know you miss The Gershwin but we are confident you will satisfied with the transformation. I do hope you will allow me to discuss your stay when you are available. I thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

If I can provide additional information I'm at your service. Please contact me directly at jagosto@gershwinhotel.com or at 646.507.5400.

John David Agosto
The Gershwin Hotel

Reviewed 24 January 2014

perfect location, friendly staff my favorite hotel in NYC. I'm in NY avery 2 months and always choose this hotel. In december it was fully book so went to another hotel close by but was missing my Gershwin!!!

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Many travelers describe this hotel as awful, dirty, noisy, and the staff as rude. Despite knowing all this, we decided that it would still be a good option--it's cheap, has a great location, and just got a new management team.

We were pleasantly surprised! At arrival we got a free upgrade to a bigger room. The people at the reception were nice and helpful. Our room was clean. The bathroom was a little outdated, but also clean, and a lot better than a hostel or shared bathroom. The location was exactly like expected, and with long and cold days in New York it is great when at the end of the day you can unwind in your hotel room before venturing outside again.

The coffee bar/cafe next door is great. Their breakfast is amazing and affordable. Their coffee is great. And they also serve simple but tasty sandwiches and salads.

The only downsides: the elevator didn't always work (but they were very apologetic and trying to fix it). There was a creepy (indecent) guy in an apartment across from our room (it meant we kept the blinds closed during our stay). There is some construction going on, but we were never bothered by that in our room. The building is old and when the neighbors would flush the toilet we were able to hear that (meaning: if you're a light sleeper this may not be the best hotel for you).

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the front -- we understood that this minimized the noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple