“Excellent!”
Review of The Evelyn

The Evelyn
Ranked #287 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We loved our stay at the Gershwin
The location was excellent, the price was great
The staff were friendly and very accommodation and the hotel has great character but still all the mod cons. The bathrooms are a bit old but they still have everything you need. Some people have complained about the noisy radiators but for us it just added to the character

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Write a ReviewReviews (2,181)

Reviewed 2 April 2014

this is a well located hotel to reach most places on foot.Current restoration means coffee next door- either way, loads of lovely eateries around. Rooms clean and staff friendly helpful and efficient. Meeting our every need. Wifi good. Very quiet and peaceful

2  Thank Vivien T
Reviewed 1 April 2014

we stay for a week at the hotel at a reasonable price.
The hotel is under restoration and the lobby area is not very nice but the personal at the reception desk excellent!.
The rooms rather old but with comfortable beds, good cleaning, heatting and hot water.
Luck of armachair and large mirror in our room.
There is a cafeteria beside the hotel where we took breakfast every day because the place is very charm and we got a promotional ticket.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Good service from staff, bed most comfortable, quiet, internet went down but got immediately fixed, room too small, everyone was really friendly. Temperature was good, TV choices were not so good, need a place to hang towels in the bathroom.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Great location - nice, relative big refurbished room (King) - with older fixtures. Price was very reasonable.

Hotel is under refurbishment, which means is can be a bit noise and frowsy looking. But is you overlook some of the dated hardware, it's an excellent budget choice.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The staff was fantastic in their kindness and their willingness to assist me in any way possible. They took interest in my appointments to ensure that I had correct directions to get to my destination on time. My car was handled very well... they had it waiting for me and someone stood outside to watch over it while I checked out. Overall, they were thoughtful in their assistance to my needs...highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This hotel is undergoing major renovations which appears long overdue. I stayed for two nights last weekend and although there was no work going on the hotel was a bit of a mess. Work started at 6.30 on Monday morning with loud crashing and banging on the floor above. Nil chance of sleeping through the noise. Room was old and outdated. Bathroom was a debacle there was a scaffolding support holding up an area of the roof. The bathroom window was sealed by plastic and tape. The heater in the room intermittently made a loud hissing noise throughout the night. Was extremely outdated and not up to scratch. Workman are using the main lift and a ride up and down a few floors can take up to 20 mins. One of the few positives were the staff who were all very helpful under trying conditions. The location if the hotel is also good. I was however miffed upon checkout when I was asked how our stay was. I responded honestly but politely and informed staff that the hotel was not up to standard and that our room was less than acceptable. Staff agreed and advised I should have contacted the manager. My response was if you know that the room is not up to standard why put people in it. I got no response. We were in New York to meet up with some locals and they all laughed when we told where were staying. The hotel appeared modestly priced but after staying it is way over priced. Avoid this hotel until renovations are completed.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank Scoshane
GershwinManagement, General Manager at The Evelyn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Scoshane,

We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentiveness staff. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. As you may have expierienced, the Empire State Building and the Flat Iron district are minutes away. Please accept my sincerest apologies. I know an apology doesn't change such an uncomfortable experience. I’m aware we are currently experiencing challenges but we are truly excited with the on-going transformation at The Gershwin. I'm confident you will be satisfied with end result. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay in one of our restored rooms. I do hope you will allow me to make this up to you and I thank you for taking the time to post a review.

If I can provide additional information I'm at your service. Please contact me directly at jagosto@gershwinhotel.com or at 646.507.5400.

John David Agosto