“what a great gem”
Review of The Evelyn

The Evelyn
Ranked #290 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I wasn't sure what to expect at the hotel, I know it has quite a history but I loved it, the hotel is going through a HUGE restoration so that was a concern but they were very honest and work did not start until after 8am so that was fine with me. I could glimpse some of the new areas and they look amazing, I cannot wait to come back and see the changes. Good luck...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Scott M.,
Thank you very much for such wonderful words of encouragement! We certainly have had our challenges and we are slowly seeing the results. There is certainly a lot of history in our building and the area as well.
We look forward to have again very soon.
Regards,
Director of Sales.

There are newer reviews for The Evelyn

Reviewed 14 May 2014

service overall was poor, no hot water, under construction, rooms on internet did not depict the room I stayed in, late check in, location was excellent, I quess you get what you paid for, very disappointed

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Maryann A,
We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. We profusely apologize for lack of hot water and spotty internet. We are really excited to let you know that we are addressing all this issues with the ongoing restoration, we are confident you will be satisfied with the end result. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay in one of our restored rooms. It would be a pleasure to extend a friends and family rate. We do hope you will allow us to make this up to you.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We asked for a 2 single and 1 Queen/king bedroom we needed 3 beds in 2 private spaces it was as asked and also they have a shared room area for budget travelers and rent safety deposit boxes. Unless you want to pay 400.00 USD a night you aren't gonna get a big room in NYC its quit expensive. But we had everything we needed for a 3 night stay. You never spend time at the hotel anyways Because NYC is to enjoy all day you never get bored.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The room was adequate. Nothing fancy, but clean with a beautiful bed. The staff was also very friendly and helpful. I'd stay here again for a night or two. Since you're in Manhattan you won't be in your room much anyway and this place was very close to the action!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Good hotel with a great location near the Empire State Building, and only 10 minutes walking from Time Square.

Nearest MTA station is 28th street wihich only took 2 minutes walking. We would choose this hotel again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This hotel is in a great location for seeing the sights of New York. A stone's throw away from the Flatiron building and Madison Square we found it perfect for sightseeing. It is in need of a little renovation and modernisation - which they are currently undertaking which makes it a little noisy but I was so tired from looking around the city I barely noticed. The windows are not double glazed which does make the outside noise a bit more prominent but I can't complain about the sleep I had - the bed was very comfortable. My only real complaint was about the bathroom - in particular the shower which was very difficult to use as the head was non-adjustable and made it very difficult to be in it without getting my hair wet every time. The best point about the hotel though was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff - they really did go out of their way to help us when we were leaving - booking us a yellow taxi so we wouldn't have to pay extra for the hotel black cab and even holding luggage of our friends who were not staying in the hotel so we could go for dinner before we left. Thanks :-) Would certainly stay here again - the price was right and we had an enjoyable time

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear bagelobagel,
I am delighted you were impressed with The Gershwin Hotel. We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentiveness staff. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. Thank you for pointing out the shower and windows, we are in the process of correcting these issues. We are truly excited with the on-going transformation; we are changing to double pane windows and replacing the shower heads with rain showers. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay. I thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
The Gershwin Hotel

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Take notice that the hotel is currently under extensive renovations (lift, top floor, common area). This is disturbing and takes away from the overall experience. The staff is great, but for the price of NYC hotels, one would expect not to inhabit a construction zone. I'm sure that the hotel will get back to standard once the works are finished, but it should offer a bigger price discount to accommodate its state.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marc G

Dear Marc G,
We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff and we deeply apologize for the disturbances. I know an apology doesn't change such an uncomfortable experience, we can only hope you give us an opportunity to make it up to you. We are very excited with the on-going transformation at The Gershwin Hotel. I'm confident you will be satisfied with the end result. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay in one of our restored rooms.