“Budget hotel in great location”
Review of The Evelyn

The Evelyn
Ranked #284 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Budget hotel in great location”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Unfortunately the Gershwin hotel was undergoing renovation when we visited. The staff informed us that this would continue for another year to upgrade the hotel. I imagine it will be out of our price range when the work is complete. I liked the quirky decoration and found the hotel room to be very comfortable and the location was great.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Jennidon,
We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. We are truly excited with the on-going transformation; I'm confident you will be satisfied with end result. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay. I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed here back in September 2012.
We had the hotel booked for one night, but the previous night (due to not booking anywhere) we were homeless as all hotels had been fully booked for the labour day weekend! We arrived at the Gershwin, absolutely shattered from staying up all night in the city, at 6:30am, and the lovely staff there let us fall asleep on the chairs in reception, until around 8am. As check-in wasn't until early afternoon, they kept our luggage there for us and we went out to explore (try and find a place to nap) the city!
When we got back, I remember thinking "where have we booked..." not confident at all, as the reception and the elevators up to the rooms were so weird and quirky!
But as soon as we got to our rooms I was pleasantly surprised! Lovely two bedroom apartment, one with twin beds and the other with a double. TV in both rooms & a shared bathroom. Very comfortable and homely!
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone on a tight budget!
Pretty good location too!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carrie G
Dear Carrie G,
I am delighted you were pleased with The Gershwin Hotel, in spite of your travel situation, I'm glad to hear we surpassed your expectation. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay. I thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I travel 40% of my year for work, most of which to small towns across Europe. Therefore, I'm use to boutique hotels. My first impression of the Gershwin lobby, and even my first room (#604), was as expected for the price. However, the friendly reception staff failed to mention that we would be woken up by construction at 8:30am on Friday AND Saturday morning due to renovations on the entire 7th floor. They put us in a room that sounded like someone was drilling and hammering into our ears, and didn't say a single word of warning when we checked in. Their solution was to move rooms, which we appreciated, until we brought our stuff down on Friday morning to move rooms and they told us to return in 5 hours when the room was ready. We then went back up to our room to get ready for the day now that we knew we would be roomless until 3pm. We were forced to check out of our existing room by noon, and could not check back in till 3. So even though we paid for 3 nights, we were kicked out for the afternoon on a Friday.

Once we checked back in, they had downgraded us to the 5th floor. The room (#508) was at least 25% smaller than the first room and it had very little natural light through the one window that you could barely see through the mildew. The bathroom was so small and poorly designed that I could not use the toilet without turning sideways due to a wall right in front of it. In addition, the water in the room took over 5 minutes to warm up for showers. The room also did not have a table or adequate space to open 2 suitcases so we had to use the bed as a table and repack all our stuff each time we went to bed.

There is significant misrepresentation of the rooms on their website. For the same price we could have stayed at a Hilton not far from the Gershwin which I know, from experience, provides significantly higher quality.

The receptionist indicated that management for the hotel would work with our travel agency to refund a portion of our stay, but we have not heard any follow-up since.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time in NY, but we regret staying at this hotel and will not stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GershwinManagement, General Manager at The Evelyn, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Good day,

We highly value your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. As you may have expierienced, the Empire State Building and the Flat Iron district are minutes away. Please accept my sincerest apologies. I know an apology doesn't change such an uncomfortable experience. I’m aware we are currently experiencing challenges but we are truly excited with the on-going transformation at The Gershwin. I'm confident you will be satisfied with end result. I understand my Front Office Manager contacted you and I do hope you were satisfied with the end result. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay in one of our restored rooms. I thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts.

If I can provide additional information I'm at your service. Please contact me directly at jagosto@gershwinhotel.com or at 646.507.5400.

John David Agosto
The Gershwin Hotel
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This hotel is located right in the middle of everything!
You can quickly access all attractions either by subway or walk.
Good cafes for breakfast in every corner.
The staff is very kind and helpfull and the hotell is clean and nice.
I will definetly stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Dollyfreak,
We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location and highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcome you again very soon.
Hericourt En Caux
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This will be a super hotel when the refurbishment works are finished. For the moment it's an average place to stay in a fabulous building and a great location. The staff are fine, welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Stephen P.,
Thank you very much for such words of encouragement! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We look forward to have again very soon.
Regards,
Brussels
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Good location, excellent bed, sheets, bathroom, easy truly NYC feeling boutique hotel, nice European crowd. I will return, hope they keep the value, the price, and helpful staff. Needed a full length mirror.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Nancy159 M.,
We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location and amenities. We are excited to let you know that all the restored rooms will have full length mirrors. I thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.