“Getting There!”

Ranked #294 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Miami, Florida
“Getting There!”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

For my recent visit, NYC hotel room rates were staggeringly high-priced and inventory was scarce. The Gershwin piqued my interest due to its convenient location and the fact that it was approximately $100 a night cheaper than other mid-range hotels. I prepaid my room at the time of reservation so as to avail myself of a substantial discount. Then I read recent reviews of the property and concluded I had made a terrible mistake. However, since my reservation was non-refundable, I was stuck with my decision and checked-in with low expectations. Perhaps those low expectations helped somewhat, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The Pros: Throughout my stay, the front desk staff were friendly, helpful, and efficient. My room was on one of the remodeled floors and was well-appointed and clean, quiet, and had a comfortable bed, free WiFi and great AC. Everything in my room appeared new. The location is hard to beat—close to many subway lines and within walking distance to many attractions and businesses.

The Cons: The property is undergoing an extensive renovation. Consequently, the lobby is a “work in progress” as is true for other areas of the hotel. Due to construction, only one passenger elevator was available for guests, which made for occasional delays. By modern standards, the rooms are small, but designed in a way to maximize space.

Considering the price and the fact that the pros outweighed the cons, my recent stay helped to dispel my preconceived concerns. I had wanted to rate The Gershwin as “Good” but there is no choice between “Average” and “Very Good.” I gave The Gershwin the benefit of the doubt and rated it “Very Good.” That said, my four-star rating does not mean I think The Gershwin is a four-star hotel. It earns its stripes for what it is, a mid-range hotel in a decent location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

2 Thank Michael B
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Michael B,
We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff and delighted to hear you were able to enjoy our hotel's central location. I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are very excited with the on-going transformation at The Gershwin Hotel. I'm confident you will be satisfied with the end result. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Nathalia Sosa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

If you're looking for the floor space and express elevators of your typical chain hotel, you're in the wrong place. However, if you're looking to find a hotel with character, really nicely furnished rooms (top floors at the moment) and staff who are super-friendly, then you should try The Gershwin.

The location is great - I can get to most meetings from here within 15/20mins either side of town. There's also a 24 Hour Fitness centre literally across the road which is $20 a time. Refurbishment is going on right now on the lower floors, but it really isn't too much bother - I don't hear or see anything on the 11th floor.

Clearly the owners are investing a lot of money to get the place right. Independent hotels like these should be supported ... its great value too, do check it out.

Room Tip: Right now ... try and get one of the newly fitted out rooms if you can.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Chidgster
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Chidgster,
I am delighted you were impressed with our friendly and attentiveness staff. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. We are truly excited with the on-going transformation at The Gershwin Hotel. I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
New Bern
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Even though this hotel is under construction, it was very quiet and you would have never known. All the staff are very very helpful and kind. I will ALWAYS stay here during my future visits. Love this place!!!!! Cant wait to see final renovation!! It is a very quiet street at night, which was wonderful for those of us who are not use to the noise of the city while we are sleeping. LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Angel E.,
We highly value your comments. We are truly excited with the on-going transformation at The Gershwin Hotel, we are confident you will be satisfied with our restoration. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay. Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts.
Regards,
foggia

Under New Management!?!?!!
Really small rooms! Pretty small bed. Hot and cold water don't work properly, water temperature changes while showering. If its raining the noise of it falling on the air conditioning is horrible!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ciccio s
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Ciccio s,
We deeply apologize for the disturbances; we are in the process of correcting the issues you've experienced during your stay. Central air system and new plumbing are certainly just two of our main changes throughout this restoration. We are very excited with the on-going transformation at Hotel. I know an apology doesn't change such an uncomfortable experience, we can only hope you give us an opportunity to make it up to you. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay in one of our restored rooms.
Turin, Italy
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I've been there for a week from the 31st of May till the 7th of June. The hotel is in a perfect position for tourists who whould like to discover NYC. The structure is quite old even it is in renovation... this cause some noises starting from 8.00 am in the morning... The room we had was renewed and pretty nice but the restroom was still old and not so big. unfortunately the window was on the internal side of the building and the view was poor, but no matter if you are in NYC you'll not spent so much time in the hotel!!! cleaning is in average every day the towels were changed but not the bath was not cleaned every day. Good free WiFI service in the room and in the hall where there are also 2 pc available for hosts. Very gentle staff!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mistral975,
We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff. We apologize for the housekeeping inconvenience; we will make sure to address this with our staff. We are very excited with the hotel’s restoration and we certainly expect to meet all our guest's expectations. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Northwich
Reviewed 11 June 2014

First impression from the outside of hotel, lobby and lift was that it was very dated and needed refurbishment, but on entering the floor and by room was pleasantly surprised. Nicely decorated, very clean and had all amenities I needed. The most pleasing thing was the hotel staff. They were extremely friendly and attentive. Would certainly stay at this hotel again as it is also well located and good value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Anthony N
Dear Anthony N,
We are delighted to hear you were able to enjoy our hotel's central location, as well as out attentive staff. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We look forward to have again very soon.
Regards,
Quispamsis
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Had an updated room. It was really nice. The parts of hotel that were under construction looked a little sketchy. But the great staff and awesome location made up for it. Great coffee shop next door with hotel breakfast deal too.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Kelly D,
We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location and highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff. Thank you for kind words as we are still a working progress. We look forward to welcome you again very soon.