“Lovely staff, clean and tidy”
Review of The Evelyn

The Evelyn
Ranked #292 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Perth, Australia
“Lovely staff, clean and tidy”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Had a weeks stay at the Gershwin Hotel. After traveling around the US for 6 weeks prior it was nice to be greated by friendly and helpful staff and have a reasonably spacious room for 2 of us to share. The room was clean as tidy and pleasent to stay in.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Hannahrose90,
I am delighted you were impressed with The Gershwin Hotel. I highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Nathalia Sosa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mountain View
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The rooms and bathrooms are pretty old, though to be fair - clean and kept in decent shape. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The lobby is nice, but surrounded by construction, which actually causes noise starting as early as 8am. The stay was ok, but for this price I'd probably stay somewhere else next time.

Dear Mariya F,
We highly value your acknowledgement of our good service. We are slowly increasing the number of renovated rooms, I’m confident you will be satisfied with the end result. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay in one of our restored rooms.
Houston
Reviewed 16 June 2014

i stayed in both a new room and and one of the older non renovated rooms. The new room is fantastic nice finishes and good sized for NY. The old room looks like a setting from a bad NY 70's cop drama! The services were a bit limited as the hotel is under renovation and there are no coffee pots in rooms. The old rooms have iron in the room. The renovated rooms you must call for an iron. OMG the bathrobes in the reno suite are to die for - loved it!

Dear Melissa B,
I am delighted you were impressed with The Gershwin Hotel. Thank you for kind words as we are still a working progress. We look forward to welcome you again very soon.
Huhmari
Reviewed 16 June 2014

commented on the first page
Excellent staff
Poor elevator conditions, takes too long and you don´t want to walk the stairs to 11th floor every time
excellent place for the hotel
Something to be done about the noise?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kaisa S,
We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. We profusely apologize for slow elevator. We are really excited to let you know that we are addressing all this issues with the ongoing restoration, we are confident you will be satisfied with the end result. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay
Miami
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We turned in the broken blowdryer on the first morning and requested another one be sent to the room. However, by the time we left on morning 4, no hairdryer had been delivered to the room. Luckily, a friend was also staying at the hotel and I was able to borrow the blowdryer each morning from the friend's room.

Dear Carol B,
We deeply apologize for the inconvenience; we will make sure to address this with our staff. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Director of Sales
East Haven
Reviewed 14 June 2014

It was a great hotel in a good location pretty close to everything just the cable Channels didn't come in clear everything else was great I would suggest others to stay here a little expensive but I thought it was worth it

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank George M
Dear George M,
I am delighted you were impressed with The Gershwin Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. We are in the process of correcting the issues you've experienced during your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 14 June 2014

For my recent visit, NYC hotel room rates were staggeringly high-priced and inventory was scarce. The Gershwin piqued my interest due to its convenient location and the fact that it was approximately $100 a night cheaper than other mid-range hotels. I prepaid my room at the time of reservation so as to avail myself of a substantial discount. Then I read recent reviews of the property and concluded I had made a terrible mistake. However, since my reservation was non-refundable, I was stuck with my decision and checked-in with low expectations. Perhaps those low expectations helped somewhat, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The Pros: Throughout my stay, the front desk staff were friendly, helpful, and efficient. My room was on one of the remodeled floors and was well-appointed and clean, quiet, and had a comfortable bed, free WiFi and great AC. Everything in my room appeared new. The location is hard to beat—close to many subway lines and within walking distance to many attractions and businesses.

The Cons: The property is undergoing an extensive renovation. Consequently, the lobby is a “work in progress” as is true for other areas of the hotel. Due to construction, only one passenger elevator was available for guests, which made for occasional delays. By modern standards, the rooms are small, but designed in a way to maximize space.

Considering the price and the fact that the pros outweighed the cons, my recent stay helped to dispel my preconceived concerns. I had wanted to rate The Gershwin as “Good” but there is no choice between “Average” and “Very Good.” I gave The Gershwin the benefit of the doubt and rated it “Very Good.” That said, my four-star rating does not mean I think The Gershwin is a four-star hotel. It earns its stripes for what it is, a mid-range hotel in a decent location.

2 Thank Michael B
Dear Michael B,
We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff and delighted to hear you were able to enjoy our hotel's central location. I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are very excited with the on-going transformation at The Gershwin Hotel. I'm confident you will be satisfied with the end result. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.