“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #290 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Bow, New Hampshire
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed on the newly refinished 12th floor and what a treat. The rooms are small BUT there is great use of space and a wonderful feel of luxury. I would have rated this a 5 star but two of the days, there were not enough towels in the room and I wasn't aware until too late that the others in my party were drying with hand towels. Other than that I was thrilled.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Loocrew,
We highly value your comments on our restored rooms. We are very excited with the hotel’s restoration and we certainly expect to meet your expectations. We apologize for the housekeeping inconvenience; we will make sure to address this with our staff. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Santa Monica
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The hotel is currently being renovated. There's only one working elevator and it's constantly used by the construction workers traveling floor to floor. It's common to wait 5-10 minutes to get in and out of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear John T,
We are very excited with the on-going transformation at The Gershwin Hotel. I'm confident you will be satisfied with the end result. We highly value your comments and we deeply apologize for the disturbances. I know an apology doesn't change such an uncomfortable experience, we can only hope you give us an opportunity to make it up to you. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay in one of our restored rooms.
Director of Sales
George Town, Cayman Islands
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This hotel is in an excellent location , staff are friendly, professional and very helpful and the rooms are clean and comfortable. I will definitely stay here again and have no hesitation recommending this hotel to friends. My room was a reasonable size for New York and there wasn't a view from the window, but as somewhere to sleep comfortably and securely, with attentive staff in a great location it was excellent and worth every cent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Wayne R,
I am delighted you were impressed with The Gershwin Hotel. I highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Long Branch, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here for one night last month during their renovation. There is a lot of construction going on which you don't mind during the day because the city is loud anyway. But it was a little annoying in the morning. The room was nice. Comfortable to sleep in, basic, perfect for the one night. The bathroom is small but looks like it was redone. Everyone we encountered at the hotel was very nice and professional throughout our stay. When we checked out they told us we could leave our luggage if we needed to which was nice.
One weird thing to note, the elevator is the slowest elevator I have ever been in.
We ordered some food for delivery and instead of them sending the delivery man straight to the room no questions asked, they called the room to confirm that we ordered food and then asked if we wanted him to come up or if we wanted to come down and get the food. Since I knew the elevator would take forever to come up to my floor and then back down again for me to get the food, I asked them to bring it up. When we answered the door, we noticed that he was escorted to our room to make the delivery. I truly thought that that was great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Camp Pendleton
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This property is showing great potential upon completion of its renovation. Simple, modern and clean accommodations in the studio room I occupied. Centrally located in the hippest area of Manhattan (Chelsea/Midtown). l would recommend this hotel also for the great hospitality.

Give yourself extra time if you have an appointment and/or meeting friends. You will need to be patient with the elevator (sorta slow moving)... after all, you are on vacation. :D LOL

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Auburn Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The service provided was great. Every one we met and talked to were extremely polite and helpful. Made us feel very welcome. Not to mention gave us a free upgrade on the room which was wonderful. The hotel building seems to be a bit old and there was some construction work going on but for the price range and location, i believe the rooms were quite large and nice. The beds were extremely comfortable and there were no disturbance or loud noices in the night. The bathroom is a little bit cramped and old but it was cleaned nicely. They also allow you to keep your luggage at the hotel after you check out ( until around midnight). The only thing I wished for was a microwave and coffee... either in the room or somewhere in the hotel....

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Gershwin Hotel. The location was terrific, with easy access to major subway lines that took me both north and south. And there was also lots of interesting stops within walking distance (including all of the Flat Iron District, some great parks, and the reasonably priced end of Fifth Avenue shopping).

The staff at this hotel were terrific (generally super friendly, always smiling, asking how our day was, remembering us, giving us tasty suggestions). The re-modelled rooms were stunning (I really love the music tile in the bathroom) and quite spacious compared to other NYC hotels I've stayed in.

The only con--the elevator. It's slow. There's only one. It's slow. I would definitely recommend that the hotel, as part of the re-model, either install a second elevator or change the current one to a high-speed model.

Room Tip: If you're going soon, pick something above floor no. 9 (re-modelling is happening on levels belo...