“Great Location”
Review of The Evelyn

The Evelyn
Ranked #288 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights During my first visit to NYC. As a solo female traveler, I felt very safe in the area, even at night. Most pedestrians were female and the homeless population was at a minimum. Despite not being a tourist trap like Times Square, the hotel is convenient to several attractions, being next door to a museum and within easy walking distance to grocery stores, restaurants, and the subway. While the hotel lobby wasn't anything worth writing home about, the newly renovated superior queen room was nicely decorated and very comfortable. However, I would only recommend it for solo travelers or couples who truly enjoy each other's company because it's a bit cozy.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Rosa B
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Rosa B,
I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed our hotel's central location. We appreciate your comments regarding solo female travelers, we are very proud to be part of a female professionals preferred hotel program. We are very excited with the on-going transformation at The Gershwin Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I enjoyed NYC a lot. The hotel is in a very nice location, very close to the empire state and rooms are very comfortable and the hotel prices are very cheap. The service was very kind I hope to return there.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Avalers,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was a beautiful hotel with a very friendly staff. The rooms are modest in size, but elegant and well maintained. The hotel was a fantastic deal and a great place to stay. Although small, it was perfect for the price.

Dear Shawn D,
We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly staff. We look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed here as a family of 4, with two small children, for 3 nights. All four of us fell in love with the Gershwin and the staff. Due to some kind of mix up, we spent the first night in a triple room, which was ok as the main bed was huge and three of us fitted nicely. The following night, we relocated to our proper room. It wasn't massive but was totally adequate and clean. We used it only as a base so it was fine!
The location is great, so handy for subways, attractions and the Shake Shack!
Throughout the stay, we were dealt with by very pleasant staff, who went out of their way to be kind to our kids.
Would thoroughly recommend, and would thoroughly love to return!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Librarymum,
Thank you for choosing The Gershwin Hotel. We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff and delighted to hear you were able to enjoy our hotel's central location. We apologize for the inconvenience during your first night. We look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I understand that this place is under renovation, but there was PEE ON THE TOILET SEAT WHEN WE HAD YET TO USE IT. Friendly staff, but they tried to persuade me into staying in a "nicer'" room which had plaster dust all over it. No thank you. We left and went to a new hotel instead.

Room Tip: They are renovating new rooms, so ask for one of those. But it still really isn't a place I woul...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
GershwinManagement, General Manager at The Evelyn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Good day,

I want to personally thank you for your comments. We appreciate our negative reviews just as much as our positive reviews. We share them with our staff members and also use them to improve our service. I highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentiveness staff. I’m disappointed you didn’t stay with us but very relieved you were able to find another hotel with suitable accommodations. We investigated your claim and discovered no one entered your room after it was inspected, but we did discover a small leak in the ceiling. Please accept my sincerest apologies for a negative first impression. I know an apology doesn't change your experience but I do hope when our transformation is complete you’ll give us another opportunity. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay and I thank you for taking the time to post a review.

If I can provide additional information I'm at your service. Please contact me directly at jagosto@gershwinhotel.com or at 646.507.5400.
John David Agosto
The Gershwin Hotel

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Very good location.Friendly staff.We were 4 persons with a lot of luggage,so perhaps the room could have been a little bit larger.We needed evry inch of the room.The staff in the reception were very friendly,espesially the man who used a lot of time to get a cab when we left.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Helge Morten S,
I am delighted you were impressed with our friendly and attentiveness staff. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. I thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I booked this hotel based on price and location. I didn't want to spend a fortune, and I wanted to be near Union Square. The outside and the lobby looked a little beat up and there was only one slow elevator. The room, however, was very nice, spotlessly clean, and had a pleasant, breezy decor. It did take an unusually long time for the water in the shower to get hot, but once it did, it was fine. Every staff member I encountered was genuinely pleasant and helpful- from front desk, to housekeeping, to the gentleman that stored our luggage- all were kind, courteous, and professional.

Dear Michelle C,
Thank you for choosing The Gershwin Hotel. We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. We are excited to let you know that we are in the process of correcting the issues you've experienced during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.