“Good value, great service”
Review of The Evelyn

The Evelyn
Ranked #289 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 5 nights in August. Location really good, near Broadway and middle of new York. Walking distance to time square. Positives: Great staff, always helpful. Booked restaurant for us and gave advice. Negatives: there is building work going on in the hotel which is really noisy and disruptive. We did mention to staff and they moved us to an alternative room further from the builders which was better. Elevator was so slow and no option due to stairs out of use with building work. Overall great place to stay and would recommend.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Bennie55,
We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff and delighted to hear you were able to enjoy our hotel's central location. We are very excited with the on-going transformation at The Gershwin Hotel. We apologize for the inconvenience; we are in the process of correcting the issues you've experienced during your stay. I'm confident you will be satisfied with the end result. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Director of Sales

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Spent six nights here with my best buddy in a queen room to celebrate my big birthday. We laughed when we saw the size of the room. "good thing we like each other!" we knew the hotel was under renovation so were a bit nervous about what we would find. It was not bad. Exterior is under scaffolding and lobby has not been touched. But they are putting guests only in renovated rooms. We were on the eleventh floor so weren't bothered by construction noise, just some dust. The room, though small, was spotless, the bed was amongst the most comfortable I've slept in for a long time (very soft). The downside is noise. It seems like the door and windows are paper thin.You hear every noise in the hallway and the garbage truck arrives outside at 7 a.m. But for the rate they were charging we really could not complain. Lift was also slow but then again, we weren't in a hurry.The staff were super friendly and helpful. Location is very convenient--24-hour deli/supermarket around the corner, ATM across the street, walking distance to restaurants and shopping, plentiful taxis.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room at the end of the hall, farthest from the lift, would be quietest.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear WestintheEast1964,
We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location and highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff. We are excited to let you know that we are in the process of changing all the windows and brand new elevators will be installed. We are truly excited with the on-going transformation at The Gershwin Hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay very soon.
Regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Having flown in from the UK at 4am, no sleep and the onset of jet lag were seriously kicking in. Well, as you can imagine, when we checked in and were told we had actually booked into a 10 person room with ONE bathroom, I could have literally died. We walked into a room of snoring people, no aircon and even worse, my friend was separated from us into a hostel room upstairs with a group of men!! When we went down to reception to kindly ask if our friend could move into our room, we were simply told 'no'. We snuck her in anyway, there was no way we were leaving her up there being the only female amongst 9 men.

I understand us booking into the hostel was not the hotels fault and I really do emphasise that this was our fault. However, the receptionists' attitudes absolutely stank. Having genuine concern over a friend who felt uncomfortable sharing a 10 bed room with 9 men, we would have thought they would be more helpful - well they couldn't have cared less.

Also, if you do choose to stay in a hostel I would seriously reconsider. Save up a couple more bucks and try and get a hotel room!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear danielle5820,
We thank you for taking the time to share your experience. The Gershwin was once a Hostel and did very well in that category, however since late 2012, the hotel took on a new management and a lot of improvements with it. One of the first upgrades were keeping all private rooms only, upgrading furniture and décor. We are currently transitioning to a full restoration of the building. We sincerely hope that if your travels find you in NYC again, we would welcome an opportunity to give us a try and make up for the bad experience you had in the past. If you would like to see some pictures of our renovated rooms, please visit our website www.gershwinhotel.com
With warm regards,

Reviewed 11 August 2014

sleep quality : noise in the morning due to rehabilitation of the hotel.
Good service end cleanliness of room
Queens bed a little small for two people
Good location of the hotel
Hospitality of the staff

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Erica A,
We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. We highly value your acknowledgement of our friendly and attentive staff. We look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay.
Director of Sales

Reviewed 11 August 2014

On a last minute trip to NYC we did not have much to choose from so decided to go witht the cheapest hotel available. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived .. the hotel is very NYC..lobby is comfortable and walk out the door and you are right in the middle of everything. The room was small but very comfortable and has everything you need...comfortable bed, crisp linens, big TV, iphone charging station, spotless updated bathroom, extra reading lights etc. We will definately stay again.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear 08736NYC,
I am delighted you were impressed with The Gershwin Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's central location. We are truly excited with the on-going transformation; I look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay. I thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

On July 23rd, 2014 I booked and paid for the Double Room Deluxe through a 3rd party booking website which was to have two double beds.

Upon check in on Aug 4th, 2014 I dropped my bags off in the morning and returned around 3pm to check into my room.

When checking in, I gave the front desk staff my name and was asked to take a seat. About 10 minutes later another front desk staff asked for my name, again. About 5 minutes later he brought me my two room keys but was stopped by yet another front desk staff to retrieve my credit card. I was given no information about any charges above what I had already paid being applied to my card at this time, they said they just needed an imprint of my card.

I went up to my room and it was not the room I had reserved and paid for. It was 1 king bed rather than 2 double beds. Being that I was travelling with my father, it was not in our plans to share a bed. I called the front desk to advise them of this error and was told they would call me back. When they called me back they told me I had actually booked a room with 1 queen size bed and they upgraded me to a king size bed... for no reason. I made them aware of the booking confirmation I had in my hand and I was told they would need to physically see the paper and asked me to come back down to the front desk, again. Surely someone could have come to retrieve the paper so I wouldn't have to wait again for their 1 elevator (I would have taken the stairs but they were taped off) and sit in the lobby again while they figured this out.

The man at the front desk looked at the paper and immediately admitted that I was right (I should have been given a room with 2 double beds). He went into the office and yet another man came out to speak to me about this mistake. He proceeded to tell me that the room listed on my booking confirmation was in fact a room with 1 double bed (check their website, they DO NOT HAVE A ROOM WITH ONE DOUBLE BED), which was a flat out lie. I was told he "knows how I feel" and that the following night I could move to a room with 2 double beds, they did not have any available immediately.

Given the fact that New York is exhausting enough and to travel back and forth to the hotel throughout the day to move my things from one room to another would take time away from my scheduled activities and cost my extra cash in taxi or subway fare; we opted to stay in the same room the second night.

When I checked out I was told that the $35 deposit I paid (which I was not aware I paid, I sure didn't sign anything) would be refunded to my credit card. At this point I thought, whatever, I've stayed, I'm going to enjoy my last day before driving 9 hours to get home.

While driving home I was made aware of 2 charges above and beyond what I assumed to be the $35 deposit and my original booking cost were charged to my credit card, one for $181.97 and one for $222.04. The next day I gathered my patience to call. The woman I spoke to repeatedly said she could not find any record of my stay, a tad annoying. Once she found record of my stay she said the charges on my credit card did not match the charges she saw and transferred me to "her accounting department".

Mary started off by telling me she saw no charges on my booking, then after some silence she told me she had refunded $394.86 to my credit card - let's do the math together here, folks: 181.97 + 222.04 = 404.01. When I explained this simple math to Mary she told me repeatedly "I have refunded what we charged you".

The contact information available on the Gershwin's website is non-existent so I don't even know where to go from here, assuming all of the charges are not correctly rectified. Gotta love vacation!

I will say, at least, if you have a flawless stay the renovated rooms are very nice. Some corners were cut during finishes but it's pretty.

2  Thank SummerLovinn
GershwinManagement, Front Office Manager at The Evelyn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear SummerLovinn,
We value every comment that we receive, we even appreciate a comment that presents is self as a catalyst for us to improve or handle a situation in better and more efficient way. We sincerely want to thank you for taking the time out to express your thoughts on your experience to us. By doing so, you are aiding us to set the Bench mark to efficiently handle any situation that may arise. Please note that we don’t have any control over how a third party booking company words their room discretions. Unfortunately, due to the fact that the room with two double beds was not initially reserved, we did not have it at our disposal at the time. Wanting to accommodate you, we offered it to you as a complementary upgrade. But you declined. We sincerely apologies for not exceeding your expectations while you stayed with us. It is with our distinguished pleasure to invite you to stay with us again. So that we will have the opportunity to do everything right and to surly exceed your expectation. I request that you contact me directly to discuss this matter.
Eric Boamah
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 7 August 2014

staff at the front desk and bell hop service were friendly and very helpful, especially antrelle. Room was new and nicely appointed and came with free Wi-Fi. only slight problem was shower water took several minutes to get hot otherwise everything was great, I would stay again.

Room Tip: do not really need tips they were great
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
GershwinManagement, Director of Sales at The Evelyn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Fred S,
I am delighted you were impressed with our friendly and attentiveness staff. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcome you again very soon.