“Very nice stay”

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue
Ranked #254 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I had a queen room with a street view. It was small but roomy enough for the two of us. The hotel is in a great location and we were able to walk back and forth to the theaters. Bryant park is just around the corner. We had a couple of very minor issues that the staff took care of very quickly and efficiently. Although there is no restaurant, there is a place next door and across the street to get soda, sandwiches or snacks. We didn't use the fitness center, but it looked very nice. We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank momofthree17
Justin S, General Manager at Courtyard New York Manhattan/Fifth Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time write a review of your stay with us. We enjoy our location and the proximity to so many exciting attractions and I’m glad that you did as well.

I am pleased to hear that you had a positive experience with our staff and they were helpful to you.

We look forward to hosting you the next time you are in Manhattan!

Best Wishes,
Justin Scarpa
Justin.Scarpa@marriott.com

Reviewed 13 August 2014

On first impression The Courtyard Manhattan/Fifth Avenue is rather a dour looking place.

Not really a hotel ( no restaurant or fitness centre etc ) it's more like a tower block of bedrooms with a reception desk attached.

For a 3 star hotel it’s wasn't cheap either at $300 plus a night. But, then again we were paying for the location - which is great. In the heart of Manhattan, and just two minutes away from the gorgeous New York library - and the lively urban square that is Bryant Park.

Our room was smallish, with no view, just a wall of back offices. The whole hotel is rather claustrophobic actually - but not unbearably so. The fitting and decor looked 70’s - but it was clean enough.

We had intended to stay eight days - but found a cheaper 4 star hotel for less, only three short blocks away so we booked that, and checked out early.

One incident disturbed us though. On returning from a night out, we arrived to find our room door wedged open. Someone had jammed the security bolt between the door and the door frame to keep it open. At first we thought we had been robbed, but on inspection nothing was taken. And their was plenty to take, cameras, laptops, the usual sort of stuff, you travel with.

Leaving my wife and kid "securely" locked in the room, I went down stairs to complain but was basically given the brush off by the young woman on reception - who said sorry about that, but proffered no solution or fallow-up.

The next morning we checked-out but not before I brought the subject up with the manager.

He gave the incident more weight than the night reception, and speculated the maid had maybe left it wedged open when she was doing the room, then forgot to close it when she was finished. But I had to point out, despite being told it would be, the room had not been tidied-up ?

One other thing annoyed me. When I said I’d be putting this incident on Trip-Advisor, we were told, since we had been on the Marriott's friends and family discount scheme ( what discount ? ) we shouldn’t " run to Trip Advisor " as this might have repercussions - I took this as a threat.

So there we left it - our own little Manhattan mystery.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Peter M
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I went to NY for four days with my wife. This hotel was pretty close to most NY activities. The room was clean and quiet. Despite arriving a few hours before check in time, we were assigned a room right away. The safety box was not working, I called front the desk and it was fixed. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Diego X

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel! I hope that you and your wife had a great time in Manhattan!

I hope that if you plan another trip to New York, you will come be our guest again!

Best Wishes,
Justin Scarpa
Justin.Scarpa@marriott.com

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

The construction noise all night kept us awake. The rooms were small and the mirrors had handprints all over them ,could have been cleaner. We were pleased with the location. All around solid hotel but could be better .

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank aweiss00
Reviewed 29 July 2014

At first appearances this hotel may appear to disappoint as it lacks the wow factor of the bigger hotels in and around Manhattan but two things make it stand out; the friendly welcome of the staff and the great location. Every member of staff will from the front of house to the cleaners are pleasant and helpful. The location, in my opinion, is one of the best in Manhattan. you are located just off Fifth Avenue, right across from the Central Library and Bryant Park, which for me is the best of Manhattan's Parks. You are only two blocks from Time Square and other attractions such as The Empire State Building, The Top of the Rock and Central Station. The shops of Fifth Avenue are right on your door step and there are several good restaurants nearby. The facilities in the hotel are great too. You have a free business center with two computers. You have free WiFi in your room and lobby and free coffee twenty-four seven. I have stayed in the larger Marriott and Hilton Hotels in Manhattan and I can say that without doubt this is the hotel I will return to.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank The3dge
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Perfect location and near to our favorite park, Bryant Park. Staff was also really nice and welcoming. We arrived from Newark and got to Manhattan by bus. The bus stop was almost at the hotel door :) Highly recommended!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Thomas J
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The entire staff has a friendly, welcoming demeanor. We drove to NYC, and the check in & valet service was exceptional. Each time we took the car out, the staff made sure we had good directions & when we returned they wanted to know how the evening went and how we did with our driving!!
Our room was clean and roomy (for NYC). Coffee on the mezzanine was very nice.
Being close to Bryant Park was wonderful.
Overall a great stay & I have booked for next month,

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business